Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-10, 10:42 PM   #17
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mallen, I imagine your conditions are similar to ours so I would say if you got the warm up that we did then they are all on beds or getting ready. I went out yesterday and caught 3 pike, 2 small and one decent sized. No bass, couldn't find any.

This evening I hit a different lake and tried to use my head for once. From my experience fishing the spawn on Grand Lake in Michigan I remembered that 98% of the fish were in 2% of the water for the spawn. Not the 90-10 rule that normally applies. I just started cruising depths from 2' to as deep as I could see bottom (5-6') until I started seeing bass spook off beds. Once I saw a few I tried to figure out the depth and what they were on, usually rocks and not stumps or wood this time.

I would suggest three baits for the spawn up there. Drop shotting a very small bait seems to work the best by far, 3" or shorter. After that tubes and to cover a big spawning area I like a Spook/Sammy. One other thing that I should have tried but didn't that would be good for "blind" fishing beds that you can't see is a split shot rig with a small fry or ring worm. For plastics I like a light green color, maybe it looks like a perch to them.

I suggest moving a lot to try to find them and using something on the bottom. Once you find once then fish the heck out of that area just dragging a bait very slowly back to the boat if you can't see the beds. It may be difficult to find them but once you do it will be gangbusters. Good luck!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.