Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-10, 05:26 PM   #26
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
The Golden Rule, like the weight formula (length times length times girth divided by 1200) both provide estimates of weights. I'd go with a scale.

A good way to see how accurate your scale is is to go to the grocery store, put some fruit in a bag and weigh it on their spring scales. Then attach the bag to your scale and see what it reads. Digital scales can read from less than an ounce to a couple pounds off.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd assume most digital scales can be calibrated to read more accurately once you've determined that they are off.

BB

If you are lifting weights just take a 5 pound weight and hang it off the end of the scale

Jim
Old 06-14-10, 07:26 PM   #27
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Its funny, I was talking with someone on here about the calculators earlier. I really am not sure there is an easy, cheap way to do it. I feel bad for all the people landing these nice bass (yea right) because they have the justifiable tendency to want to say they caught bass at the more generous weight of the some of the calculators, as opposed to a calculator that could lowball it. I was looking at a chart that was part of a study texas did and one of my bass might have broken that magical 10 lbs. Of course at the time I used a scale that came out of a supermarket in 1960 and had been left outside since then and it said 7, and the calculator I used at the time said 9. What is the answer? Never know.

Perhaps if we were able to switch the focus from bass weight to bass size (ie recognizing a trophy according to length and not weight), perhaps if we did that, we would be able to be more accountable.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 08:02 PM   #28
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Its funny, I was talking with someone on here about the calculators earlier. I really am not sure there is an easy, cheap way to do it. I feel bad for all the people landing these nice bass (yea right) because they have the justifiable tendency to want to say they caught bass at the more generous weight of the some of the calculators, as opposed to a calculator that could lowball it. I was looking at a chart that was part of a study texas did and one of my bass might have broken that magical 10 lbs. Of course at the time I used a scale that came out of a supermarket in 1960 and had been left outside since then and it said 7, and the calculator I used at the time said 9. What is the answer? Never know.

Perhaps if we were able to switch the focus from bass weight to bass size (ie recognizing a trophy according to length and not weight), perhaps if we did that, we would be able to be more accountable.
Well, I am on my way to being more accountable. I have never used an online calc to guess weight. I always just eyeballed it, and actually try to be conservative.. ie, if I think the think was 10 pounds then I say it was 8. But today I went and bought a scale. It's not a super expensive digital scale, but it is adjustable, so I can calibrate it regularly as needed. No more guessing for me.
Old 06-14-10, 09:44 PM   #29
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFeverJohn View Post
Well, I am on my way to being more accountable. I have never used an online calc to guess weight. I always just eyeballed it, and actually try to be conservative.. ie, if I think the think was 10 pounds then I say it was 8. But today I went and bought a scale. It's not a super expensive digital scale, but it is adjustable, so I can calibrate it regularly as needed. No more guessing for me.
Good choice John. It's kind of hard to eyeball weights if you don't have anything to base that off of. Once you weigh a bunch of different sized fish you will have a much better idea of what different weights look like and your eyeball will be a little better calibrated.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.