Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 01-27-10, 04:18 PM   #1
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Why not a Kistler

Recently, I've been looking at getting a good flippin and pitchin rod to take care of my heavy needs. I came across one that I think will suite my needs. It's a Kistler argon 7'1" heavy/fast F/P stick that the seller says it's in like new condition. He is asking $90 for it; I believe it retailed for $230 but don't quote me on it. He's not to far from me either, so I'm just waiting to hear back from him.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 04:21 PM   #2
Jrob78

Kistler makes great rods. I haven't fished the argon but I have used the Magnesium. I would definitely buy one. $90 is a really good price too. I would say go for it!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 04:27 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Woody, I'd definately go for it. I've never used a Kistler, but from what I've heard, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

We talked about it on the chat last night, and I said I'm PM you. I figure I'll just let you know here instead of in a pm that I checked with a friend of mine who is selling quite a few Loomis rods, but he doesn't have any in the length/power you wanted.

BB
Old 01-27-10, 04:55 PM   #4
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Kistler makes great rods. I haven't fished the argon but I have used the Magnesium. I would definitely buy one. $90 is a really good price too. I would say go for it!
I think I will.. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Woody, I'd definately go for it. I've never used a Kistler, but from what I've heard, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

We talked about it on the chat last night, and I said I'm PM you. I figure I'll just let you know here instead of in a pm that I checked with a friend of mine who is selling quite a few Loomis rods, but he doesn't have any in the length/power you wanted.

BB
BB, I appreciate you checking on the loomis for me. The seller also has a 7' magnesium Jig-n-toad special for the same price.

-Mark
Old 01-27-10, 06:41 PM   #5
islandbass

Don't want to be a party pooper, but a $200 plus rod for less than half? Just be cautious. Please be sure to examine the blank for damage that might not be readily seen especially if you don't know this person. If it's in great shape, it's a steal of a deal.
Old 01-27-10, 06:52 PM   #6
Jrob78

Quote:
Don't want to be a party pooper, but a $200 plus rod for less than half? Just be cautious. Please be sure to examine the blank for damage that might not be readily seen especially if you don't know this person. If it's in great shape, it's a steal of a deal.
You are very correct to be cautious but I think these rods were discontinued, or at least maybe updated. Cabelas had them on clearance marked down really low before Christmas. Maybe this one was originally purchased at a reduced price.
Old 01-27-10, 06:58 PM   #7
woody

You have made some good points. buyer beware

Okay then, besides the obvious visual inspection that I'm gonna be given it, is there anything else I should be looking for.

-Mark
Old 01-27-10, 07:24 PM   #8
Jrob78

Quote:
You have made some good points. buyer beware

Okay then, besides the obvious visual inspection that I'm gonna be given it, is there anything else I should be looking for.
I would check the guides to make sure they aren't grooved, I wouldn't think this would be a problem on a high end rod though. If it has been used that much you will know it, it won't look new. I would also make sure the length of the rod matches what is printed on the rod, make sure someone didn't break off the tip and do a home repair. Other than that if the rod seems to be cosmetically and structurally sound and more importantly feels good in your hands, go for it.
Old 01-27-10, 07:40 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Sounds like a great deal if it's all kosher, Woody. Have you been fishing waters lately that a flippin' stick will come in handy?
Old 01-27-10, 09:33 PM   #10
bassboogieman

I wouldn't be afraid of it. Those rods have been disccontinued after only ONE year, as Kistler is ONCE AGAIN revamping it's product. They have slashed the "production rods" across the board, and are concentrating on the "custom" Z-bone. All rod production of off-the-shelf rods has been moved to China, including the LTA and LTX rods. I've been a loyal customer for over six years and I am extremely disappointed with the change in direction. Selection of "production" rods, which was a Kistler strong point, has been drastically reduced. But back to the Argon - they have been offered on close out by various outlets at $120 (shipped in some cases) for the last couple months, so $90 slightly used is not surprising. I'd say go for it, but if you like it and want more, finding them may be difficult.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 09:58 PM   #11
bamabassman

Take a maginifying glass with oyu woody, along with a really bright light. That ought to help oyu inspect it really good. Good luck man, hope it works out for you.
Old 01-27-10, 10:50 PM   #12
bassinbob

Good info bassboogieman as I love my Kistlers. Sad to hear about the move overseas. You would think Troy as he acts wouldn't be all about the money. Anyway, after heeding all above warnings go for it.
Old 01-28-10, 02:57 AM   #13
bassboogieman

As I mentioned here is an Argon flipping/pitching rod new, w/tags and shipped for $120. If yiou are leary of used and want a good rod at a really good discount here it is. I have purchased from this source and he's really got some good deals.
AFJ75C FLIPPIN/PITCHIN 7'5" HEAVY TELESCOPIC Sent his contact info in a PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 05:22 PM   #14
woody

I'm gonna give my guy a couple more days to get back with me. If he doesn't reply, I'll be giving your guy a call, B. Thanks, Everybody!

-Mark
Old 01-30-10, 05:27 PM   #15
woody

Well, this morning I got a reply from my guy about the rod. When I spoke to him on the phone, I asked him if he used it very much and he said, "hardly ever", and by the looks of the rod I would say hardly ever is right! Not a single scratch or scar, and the cork looks like its never been used. And on the phone I commented about his Craigslist price of $90, and evidently his wife of all people was suppose to have listed it at $120 and she didn't. He verified the listing and sure enough, she had it listed for $90 and not the $120. Well he said he'd go ahead and sell it to me for the 90, seeing that it was his wife's mistake. I thanked him, and said that I will be keeping my eyes peeled for any future adds on Craiglist. We both kinda got a chuckle out of that one.

When I can I'll share a review with all of you.

-Mark
Old 01-30-10, 05:50 PM   #16
tomegun
BassFishin.Com Member

Kistler's have a great feel to them. i have four in various styles.

Bassmaster.com has an artical by Boyd Duckett talking why high rod makers are moving to China. It's simple, they cost alot less to make over there.

Good luck with the Kistler stick. If I only have the money, I would have more of them.
tomegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 06:14 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Sounds great, Woody!! Great deal too!!! Can't wait for the review.
Old 01-30-10, 09:02 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Glad it worked out for ya Mark.

It's a shame to see another rod company move over seas.

BB
Old 02-12-10, 01:52 PM   #19
flippin4it
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I fish with mostly Kistlers. At the time I have 11 total, 1 LTX, 5 LTA and the rest are Graphite Plus series rods. Love them all. But I also have a Fuego spinning rod and a Zillion baitcasting rod...Someday it will be all Kistler.
Old 02-12-10, 05:56 PM   #20
Bassboss

WOW!! That's a really good deal, I'd jump on that deal if I was you woody.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.