Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-10, 09:32 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Good day with my Family!

Me and my folks (brothers and dad) went out fishing today! Been a long time since I been with all them... it was real fun! We where all pretty much using live bait! All good sized bream! 5-6" a piece! We where basically trying to catch dinner too.

Half hour after we got there my bobber goes down I let 'em have it for a while, and set up on here! She was down in the weeds pretty far, and was covered in them up until I got it close. Than it started fighting. Gave a few jumps and a little run. Than my brother went down and lipped it for me! Took her to the truck and put it the cooler. 19" length, 15" girth. 5lber.

Not long after my little brothers rod about goes into the water when he's not looking. I grab it for him and set the hook, and give it too him. It starts swimming near my bream and it goes down. Another bass musta been following it and slurped it up. My other bro got it his, and mine was 3 feet behind him and mine comes unbuttoned. Crap! It looked lots biggin than the last too! My brother takes his fish and put it in the cooler. 20" length, 16" girth. mid 6lber!

Not five minutes after a few folks with there young kids come walks across the bridge. We tell 'em where trying to catch some big bass with live bream. Their little daughter seems intrigues! She wants to stick around but they have to go. As soon as the walk off my dad hooks up with a toad! They watch from the bank. "Lipper" goes down and lips it. It's a bigger fish than the other! Length 21" girth 18". It goes a hair under 8!

Hour later I hook up with the biggest one yet and it comes unbuttoned AGAIN!! ****! That was prolly gonna be a PB! Soon before we leave a 2lber get my bream. My dad also broke his XLM lifting a bream with 10lbs of salad over the bridge. It's still under warranty.. so it's all good!

That's all the fish that day, all of them over 5lbs but the one. Lipper didn't hook up at all.. but he skunks us most of the time when we go there!

99 fish this year, 4 fish over 5lbs. This year, been pretty good! Hope I get more than last year!

Thanks for reading guys! No pics.
Old 06-13-10, 10:55 PM   #2
pink hoody
BassFishin.Com Member

I will tell let you in on a little secret Bassboss, you are pretty much guaranteed the PHAOY title (that is Pink Hoody Angler of the Year).

You have got to be kidding me. You want me to believe that the 20" long fish weighs a pound and a half more than the fish an inch shorter!?

Honestly if I were you I would complain to the person that runs the site with that weight calculator your use. I would say that such an inaccurate scale should not be on the internet, and then complain about how they made you look like a dumb***. And seriously, why would you even use a weight calculator that includes bass in the same category as carp and catfish? That should have sent up some red flags right there.

19" by 15" = 4.51 lbs, not a five pounder.
20" by 16" = 5.33 lbs, not six and a half.
21" by 18" = 6.63 lbs, not nearly eight.

Oh, and why no pics? How do we know you even caught these fish? And if you are going to make up weights for fish, at least get them close to the actual weight, thanks.

pink hoody
pink hoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 10:59 PM   #3
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

One for the whole family
Old 06-13-10, 11:24 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Who do you think you are, using live bluegill? Manabu Kurita?!

Sounds like a fun day, even if you didn't get em on lures.

BB
Old 06-14-10, 07:58 AM   #5
Bassboss

lol! Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink hoody View Post
I will tell let you in on a little secret Bassboss, you are pretty much guaranteed the PHAOY title (that is Pink Hoody Angler of the Year).

You have got to be kidding me. You want me to believe that the 20" long fish weighs a pound and a half more than the fish an inch shorter!?

Honestly if I were you I would complain to the person that runs the site with that weight calculator your use. I would say that such an inaccurate scale should not be on the internet, and then complain about how they made you look like a dumb***. And seriously, why would you even use a weight calculator that includes bass in the same category as carp and catfish? That should have sent up some red flags right there.

19" by 15" = 4.51 lbs, not a five pounder.
20" by 16" = 5.33 lbs, not six and a half.
21" by 18" = 6.63 lbs, not nearly eight.

Oh, and why no pics? How do we know you even caught these fish? And if you are going to make up weights for fish, at least get them close to the actual weight, thanks.

pink hoody
Hmmm.. Sounds like a muddy.. only he used a grammer and spell check this time.

I hate trolls.
Old 06-14-10, 08:13 AM   #6
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
lol! Thanks guys!

I hate trolls.
Bassboss, I hate to say it, but you really need one of these. Maybe in FL bass grow like footballs, but this will actually help you "guess" the weight of the fish. We use in tournaments here as a way of calculating the weight. According to the "golden rule" your 19" fish is just a tad under 4 lbs. Sorry to bust your bubble....

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 08:54 AM   #7
Jrob78

Quote:
lol! Thanks guys!

I hate trolls.
Haha Sammy, You took the words right out of my mouth!

Congrats on getting out with your family and having fun. That's really all that matters. I strongly suggest that you buy a little spring loaded scale, they can be had for less than $10.

Last edited by Jrob78; 06-14-10 at 09:03 AM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 08:55 AM   #8
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Bassboss, I hate to say it, but you really need one of these. Maybe in FL bass grow like footballs, but this will actually help you "guess" the weight of the fish. We use in tournaments here as a way of calculating the weight. According to the "golden rule" your 19" fish is just a tad under 4 lbs. Sorry to bust your bubble....

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults
Serious question here from someone on the verge of buying a new scale. Do you think that is better than a scale? I have heard a lot about scales being inaccurate. Is it better to calculate weight by measurements?
Old 06-14-10, 09:00 AM   #9
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFeverJohn View Post
Serious question here from someone on the verge of buying a new scale. Do you think that is better than a scale? I have heard a lot about scales being inaccurate. Is it better to calculate weight by measurements?
Buy a scale John, measurements aren't ever going to be as accurate as scales.
Old 06-14-10, 09:03 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Quote:
The Golden Rule, like the weight formula (length times length times girth divided by 1200) both provide estimates of weights. I'd go with a scale.

A good way to see how accurate your scale is is to go to the grocery store, put some fruit in a bag and weigh it on their spring scales. Then attach the bag to your scale and see what it reads. Digital scales can read from less than an ounce to a couple pounds off.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd assume most digital scales can be calibrated to read more accurately once you've determined that they are off.

BB
Old 06-14-10, 09:08 AM   #11
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
The Golden Rule, like the weight formula (length times length times girth divided by 1200) both provide estimates of weights. I'd go with a scale.

A good way to see how accurate your scale is is to go to the grocery store, put some fruit in a bag and weigh it on their spring scales. Then attach the bag to your scale and see what it reads. Digital scales can read from less than an ounce to a couple pounds off.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd assume most digital scales can be calibrated to read more accurately once you've determined that they are off.

BB
Thanks for the info. I was gonna get a spring scale from berkley. I will test it out to see if it is reading correctly. You can zero it out, so it is adjustable. I can always return it if it sucks.
Old 06-14-10, 09:35 AM   #12
Bassboss

Yeah, I guess that a scale would be a good idea! But I use this. http://www.bassresource.com/bassfish...alculator.html

Every time I try to get a scale, my dad says they're to inaccurate unless you spend 100 bucks! I'll try.

MI. I don't see how that can really be useful. What if I catch 2 fish, both are 20" one is super, super skinny, the other extremely fat. They're both not 4 1/2 pound fish.

But yeah.. scale.. good idea!
Old 06-14-10, 09:48 AM   #13
Jrob78

Quote:
Yeah, I guess that a scale would be a good idea! But I use this. http://www.bassresource.com/bassfish...alculator.html

Every time I try to get a scale, my dad says they're to inaccurate unless you spend 100 bucks! I'll try.

MI. I don't see how that can really be useful. What if I catch 2 fish, both are 20" one is super, super skinny, the other extremely fat. They're both not 4 1/2 pound fish.

My guess is you might be really surprised when you see how big a 5 lb bass really is. Decent digital scales can be had for under $20 and will be WAY more accurate than a calculator used for bass, carp and catfish.
Old 06-14-10, 09:59 AM   #14
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
My guess is you might be really surprised when you see how big a 5 lb bass really is. Decent digital scales can be had for under $20 and will be WAY more accurate than a calculator used for bass, carp and catfish.

The last time I weighed one with a scale was in 1997. It read 8lbs. I was floored. I actually guessed it was 12 pounds before we weighed it. Your eyes are definitely not a good way to judge weight...

And, I hate to jump on the bash BassBoss wagon, but that calculator on that website isn't much better at it, if I were to guess...
Old 06-14-10, 10:03 AM   #15
MIbasser

Quote:

Well, that is the joy of using them (I had a tie with a co for big fish mine was fat his was super skinny but they were the same length). It does give a very close estimation of what a fish weights. Buy a scale and a camera.....
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 10:26 AM   #16
nofearengineer

Muddy, are you still on here causing trouble? Hilarious.
Old 06-14-10, 10:39 AM   #17
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Muddy, are you still on here causing trouble? Hilarious.
And here I thought just once, just one time, I might have found a board without a resident troll.

Wishful thinking...
Old 06-14-10, 10:50 AM   #18
Jrob78

Friends don't let friends wear pink hoodies.
Old 06-14-10, 01:08 PM   #19
BigBassin144

Quote:
And here I thought just once, just one time, I might have found a board without a resident troll.

Wishful thinking...
There really aren't any resident trolls here. When people become enough of a problem, we normally run them off. Think of it as self moderation of a sort, since we don't have mods.

BB

hehehe, live bluegill!
Old 06-14-10, 02:04 PM   #20
walkeraviator

My wife bought me a berkley digital scale as a gift recently... It isnt an engineering tool by any means, but It is pretty accurate compared to Department of Commerce certified scales...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 02:10 PM   #21
nofearengineer

Even a Zebco De-Liar is pretty accurate if you keep it clean. And guess what...it doesn't cost any more than a good tape measure. I think people like their little formulas because it allows them to feel like they caught a bigger fish than they really did.
Old 06-14-10, 02:29 PM   #22
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Even a Zebco De-Liar is pretty accurate if you keep it clean. And guess what...it doesn't cost any more than a good tape measure. I think people like their little formulas because it allows them to feel like they caught a bigger fish than they really did.
haha! Yeah probably!
Old 06-14-10, 03:07 PM   #23
TN_Bassin

Quote:

You would be suprised to find that a fish's fatness really doesn't affect the girth of the fish or the overall weight as much as you think. Exceptions being fish that are extremely unhealthy. Take the fish in my Avatar for example. Guess how much it weighes if I give you the Length and the approximate girth. 22" x 14.
Old 06-14-10, 03:10 PM   #24
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
You would be suprised to find that a fish's fatness really doesn't affect the girth of the fish or the overall weight as much as you think. Exceptions being fish that are extremely unhealthy. Take the fish in my Avatar for example. Guess how much it weighes if I give you the Length and the approximate girth. 22" x 14.
From that, I'd say 5.5, or 6lbs. Maybe a little more.

Was I close!
Old 06-14-10, 03:20 PM   #25
TN_Bassin

Close, it weighed 6.22 on an official tournament scale. But my point was take a look at the length as opposed to the girth. This fish was by no means a skinny fish or unhealthy. While I don't doubt whether a 21 inch fish can have an 18 inch girth iy is highly unlikely (this fish would look about like a hot air balloon), but in my experience fish dont tend to be as big around as they are long.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.