Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-10, 03:55 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Starting another crank! Going from Shark to Piranha Style

As some of you might know, on occasion I like to add some "teeth" (pardon the pun) to my lures, as I have been inspired by the cool WWII fighter planes of the past. I thought, "Wouldn't those be neat to see on baits?" These teeth have been my amateur trademark/personal touch on baits I have made.

The teeth look great on propeller baits for sure! This was dubbed shark bait.

And crankbaits too:

Yeah, she’s ugly, but she fooled both big trout and bass.

The two lures above were hand-carved and painted by hand brush.

I thought that perhaps I could try piranha teeth. Fortunately, I found a never used Stamina plastic plug in the garage that I bought some time ago for a cool project with the neighborhood kids. I primed it with white (it was made from transparent plastic) and penciled in Piranha like teeth. Since this picture, I have already inked in the teeth with an ultra-fine black sharpie.

I am envisioning a black back (I've been having awesome luck with black back/silver bodies this season) and a bright yellow/chartreuse bottom with splashed of red. I hope it pans out. Many times, when it comes to painting, what I picture in my mind's eye doesn’t seem to translate correctly to my hands. I.E., I suck at painting as you can see in the first two baits.

If you have read some of my previous threads of my lure making adventures, you will know that I've gone crankin' and I've gone minnow. Now I think it's time to run with the piranhas. ;D
Old 09-14-10, 07:39 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Those teeth look good IB.

As for your painting skills (or lack of them ), just remember fancy paint jobs are to catch fishermen, not fish (as you've already proven). Have you considered an inexpensive airbrush (or maybe a really expensive one, just for grins and giggles )?

BB
Old 09-14-10, 10:39 AM   #3
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Have you considered an inexpensive airbrush (or maybe a really expensive one, just for grins and giggles )?

BB

His monkey thanks you....
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 03:03 PM   #4
islandbass

@walker: Yeah, the monkey knows, but I haven't succumbed to his call.

@BB: I have been going back and forth on different IWATA models and can't decide. Perhaps at Christmas time. I do have a cheapo airbrush that can do general coverage well, but not details.
Old 09-14-10, 03:42 PM   #5
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

The bass think this these are fixing to eat their pray with all those teeth. You're on to something IB. No wonder they catch fish. It is all about the predator instinct. I love double prop baits. They have somewhat took a back seat over the years, but a timeless classic to say the least.
Old 09-14-10, 05:35 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA................LOVE THE TEETH ISLAND. that is your trademark my friend.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.