Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 01-27-12, 07:19 PM   #1
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Proreels service

I don't know if this is the right section, but I got to brag on Proreel ( Kevin Rush ). I had him super tune 7 reels for me and the difference is unbelieveable. They are super smooth. Going to try a couple of them out at my sisters pond tomorrow.

Quick service and great communications. A reel pleasure to deal with and not as expensive as you would think. Just awesome.

THANKS Kevin
Old 01-27-12, 07:31 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sounds good man!

Maybe he could get my BPS JML smooth again? Hhmmm...been saying it for a while, but I think I might actually have to do it this time. lol
Old 01-27-12, 07:54 PM   #3
joedog

I want my place in line to brag.
Pro reel does great, no fantastic work on spinning gear too!
Great service, great communication and fantastic craftmanship.
Thank you Kevin!
I will definitly be a repeat customer!
Old 01-27-12, 08:51 PM   #4
mike234
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Kevin has tunned a bunch of reels for me and all I can say is that his work is the best as far as I am concerned. He has taken cheap, worn out reels and made them into reels that are smooth and a joy to fish with. Also has taken expensive reels such as Calais and made then better. I did not think that was possible but he did make them better. His work would be cheap at twice the price. Do no tell him that he may go up in price.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-12, 10:08 PM   #5
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

hey not to be the village idiot, but how are what can be done to "pimp" a reel out and how much would it cost, this is new to me
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-12, 10:20 PM   #6
mike234

I really do not know how to pimp a reel out that is why I send them to Kevin. I think he polishes the surfaces that contact each other, puts the right oil in the reel, clean it thoroughly, and do something to the bearings. You need to PM him and ask those questions as I can not answer the questions for you and he will explain exactly how he does it. If you want a first class reel be sure and let him work on it and it is not expensive. It will be worth your time.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-12, 10:35 PM   #7
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
hey not to be the village idiot, but how are what can be done to "pimp" a reel out and how much would it cost, this is new to me
Depends on what you mean by "Pimped out" . You can do a host of things to most reels to improve their performance and looks. Carbon fiber handles, upgraded drag, lighter spools, upgraded bearings, lighter custom drag star, the possibilities are endless and all it takes is money, lots of it.

If you want to get the very most out of the reel you have then what I would recommend is sending it to a reel mechanic. They can properly clean and service the reel with the best lubricants available, grease the drag disks, polish friction points, flush and clean the bearings. For a small additional fee they can upgrade your drag to a wet drag system with carbon fiber disks, or for a little more, upgrade the spool bearings.

When you get your reel back, you will be amazed, it will feel and operate better than it did right out of the box. All of this will set you back about 20-25 dollars + shipping for a pro tune and a little more if you decide to upgrade parts.
Old 01-27-12, 10:39 PM   #8
wallywallace

welp i will probably do then before the spring gets sprung, sounds great
Old 01-27-12, 10:47 PM   #9
bcklash

Quote:
ckeck out his web page
http://www.proreelservice.com
Old 01-27-12, 10:48 PM   #10
Tavery5

Quote:

Better do it quick, most guys are backed up this time of year 3-4 wks.
Old 01-28-12, 01:56 AM   #11
pro reel

Yep, If you wait until spring it will be to late to get in line. The reels I'm getting right now will be ready for early March.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-12, 02:31 AM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I guess I better hold on to my gift certificate for a couple of months then. hahahaha Your reputation is growing on the masses Kevin.
Old 01-28-12, 11:48 AM   #13
keithdog

I can vouch for Kevins work. I sent a Revo to him last year and was amazed ar how it performed once I got it back. I just sent 3 reels to him yearterday. He has my full trust!
Old 01-28-12, 12:35 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

I just sent Kevin 11 reels to super tune a week or two back. I can't wait to get my hands on them.
Old 01-28-12, 01:45 PM   #15
woody

All I can say is that I'm really looking forward to fishing with my super tuned revo winch, when I get it back from Kevin.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-12, 04:09 PM   #16
wallywallace

most of my reels at moment are still in descent new condtion, so i have faved ya page, glade know i have a guy, lol hey Pro, do you do abu 6600s and other say catfish reels
Old 01-28-12, 04:34 PM   #17
bcklash

Quote:
most of my reels at moment are still in descent new condtion, so i have faved ya page, glade know i have a guy, lol hey Pro, do you do abu 6600s and other say catfish reels
2 of the reels I sent him were brand new still the box. New reels can be supered tuned also.
Old 01-28-12, 04:57 PM   #18
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
All I can say is that I'm really looking forward to fishing with my super tuned revo winch, when I get it back from Kevin.

-Mark
Me too Mark. I sent him 2 Revo Winchs, 7 Revo SXs, and 2 Prolites. All to get cleaned and super tuned. I will be like a little kid on Christmas morning when they come back.
Old 01-28-12, 07:13 PM   #19
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Me too Mark. I sent him 2 Revo Winchs, 7 Revo SXs, and 2 Prolites. All to get cleaned and super tuned. I will be like a little kid on Christmas morning when they come back.
It will be like Christmas. I got a Winch, 2 SX's and a Diawa Tierra done for me and 3 Quantums for Adam, 2 of them brand new.

I'll be honest if I hadn't won that raffle I would never have had anything like this done. But I'm a believer now and I haven't even cast one yet. They are so smooth. I feel like I got 7 brand new reels and it's alot cheaper than buying 7 new reels. I got about 5 more I'm going to send Kevin before long.
Old 01-28-12, 07:18 PM   #20
pro reel

I do all brands and types of spinning and baitcast reels, just no push button spincast reels.
Old 01-28-12, 07:22 PM   #21
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
It will be like Christmas. I got a Winch, 2 SX's and a Diawa Tierra done for me and 3 Quantums for Adam, 2 of them brand new.

I'll be honest if I hadn't won that raffle I would never have had anything like this done. But I'm a believer now and I haven't even cast one yet. They are so smooth. I feel like I got 7 brand new reels and it's alot cheaper than buying 7 new reels. I got about 5 more I'm going to send Kevin before long.
It's awesome to hear that you are so happy with the results. I honestly thought about just having about half of the SXs done and both Winchs because Britney uses my stuff sometimes and I was affraid that she would have problems with casting them after they have been super tuned. After talking to Kevin as well as a few other people who have had their reels super tuned I decided that Britney should be able to handle it just fine. So I decided to go ahead and get them all done.
Old 01-28-12, 09:05 PM   #22
wallywallace

thats my problem, i am not new, but descent at bait casting reels, and dont wanna mess anything up, i am not sure i can handle,
Old 01-29-12, 12:38 AM   #23
pro reel

The biggest problem people have with a tuned reel is getting used to not needing to cast it as hard and also getting over the perceived stigma of using the brakes. I see posts on almost every forum talking about how proud folks are to say that they don't use any brake pins at all or only 1 to 2 pins max. I wonder if the same people would brag about driving a car with the brakes not working? Guys, those brakes are there for a reason, get used to using them and you will cast a lot better. Most of the reels i see, at least 80% of them are set totally wrong. I know this because when i open a reel and see thet there is only 1 or 2 pins in the on spot the next thing i look at is the tension discs. On almost every reel set like that the tension disks have holes or very deep divots drilled into them. That because to be able to control the reel with almost no brakes they are setting the tension cap way to tight. There is a standard out there that has been preached and printed on directions for so long that most people accept as fact. The standard says that on centrifugal brake reels you should set the tension to let the bait fall slow. Some even say to set it to where you have to shake the rod to make the bait fall. Now, that might be fine for someone that has never used a catsing reel before as a place to start, but once you have the mechanics down you should completly abandon that thinking. That standard was born during the time of antique reels that only had tension knobs for brakes or at the most had 2 centrifugal pins. Those reels needed to be set tight and they had thick brass shims to handle it and they came with extras in the box to change out frequently. Most modern reels are far superior but the thinking never changed. The setting that I recomend for centrifugal reels is to set the tension knob just tight enough to remove any sideplay from the spool, then turn on all 6 brakes and see how it casts. If you have an educated thumb, you should be able to go to 4 pins with a loose spool, but there is nothing wrong with using all 6 pins. On dual brake reels, you can use less pins and more magnents to have the best on both ends. Magnent only reels are the exception as some just don't have enough power to handle the spool being that loose.
If you get used to using more brake pins and less tension, you would love the consistent free spin of a tuned reel, because it takes so much less energy to get the spool turning that casting will actually be easier and the number of backlashes will go down. The reason most backlash's happen at the start of the cast is because we put to much energy into the swing to get the spool turning and then it over revs the speed of the bait once it does get going. With less energy and more centrifugal brake pins that is not a problem.
The only exception to this is on setups for very light baits such as 1/8oz stuff. On those, you just need to get used to casting with almost no tension and almost no brakes because any slowing down will be enough to cut the bait distance short with really light stuff.
Old 01-29-12, 05:01 AM   #24
joedog

Thanks Kevin!
Call me 'guilty'!
Old 01-29-12, 05:41 AM   #25
james86

That is a really good point pro reel. I need to loosen all my tension knobs more than likely.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.