Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-05, 01:52 PM   #1
tequilaworm
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool How to work a spook

As i've said here before, I am a soft plastics guy. I dislike spinners, crankbaits are ok, the lipless ones are better. For the most part though, give me a tequila worm, a smoky shad fluke, a Yamamoto Kreature, anything soft plastic, and I can catch fish.

I keep hearing how well JB (i think it was him who highly recommended these) is doing on a spook.

My question, after all that, is how do you work your spook?

I'm gonna buy one regardless. You know how the monkey is, but I'd like to know how to work it right first.

Thanks...
Old 07-19-05, 02:08 PM   #2
lockjaw
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Do A Search. It Was just covered.
Old 07-19-05, 02:33 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

After you throw it out , you can either keep your rod tip straight up in the air or about at the 5 oclock position, I usually keep it straight up to get it going, then about 2/3 s of the way back go to the rod tip down postion, I pretty much do that with all topwater baits

After the lure hits the water on the first cast, let it sit for a few seconds, or longer, then start crisp pulls of the rod tip, pull it towards you and then let it slack,
You'll know if its correct if you see the Spook dart left, then right,
If you pull to hard it will just come out of the water with no side to side movement.
After you get it going , you'll notice how your line slaps the water between pulls, usually after it hits the water, its time to pull up again and repeat the cadence of movement.
Most anglers work all topwater lures way to fast, I am guilty of that too
You can use gentle pulls to make the lure stay in a zone longer, hard pulls will either make it bob to the top to much, or make it go left n right about a foot at a time..its better to make it go about 6 inches left n right at a time...its def a bait that takes time to figure out, if you have someone to show you it helps.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-05, 03:40 PM   #4
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I love these baits anymore, they catch bigger fish!!! I use all type of retreives, last night they wanted it slow to medium pace!!
Old 07-19-05, 06:22 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I always was intimidated by its size years ago, and had it in the box unused for long time, but you see fish 6-8 inches hit it along with the desired 15-26 inch bass lmao
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-05, 06:56 PM   #6
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It is defintiely a go to bait for me!!
Old 07-29-05, 06:51 AM   #7
nick rogich
BassFishin.Com Member

I have used the spook alot and find that it is a big fish bait and it will attract fish in 10 to 12 ft. of water. the real trick is to learn how to walk the dog with imo the best top water lure i have ever used.
nick rogich is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.