Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-12, 12:50 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Snuck out in the kayak this morning

And I actually had a camera with me. Got on the water right at 6 AM and went across the lake to the area I wanted to fish this morning, I just got started and heard the whoosh of the propane burners and this ballon came over the hill and went right over head - I screamed "good morning" and they screamed back at me - echoing across the water anyone else on the water musta thought I was nuts.

I started throwing a popper, I so wanted to catch some on top water. It was just smooth as glass early on, but the bass would not bother with it. Went to my favorite, a spinnerbait and tossed that for about 20 minutes that produced as well as the popper. Not gonna cooperate, so I went to the lake's killer bait - Senko (actually a clone) and that works like it almost always does. Not long after the change to soft plastic the first keeper of the morning (lake has 15" minimum). Not much over but he measured. He was right under an overhanging bush.

A little further down the bank, up against a tree, keeper #2 and a bit better fish.

Last area I wanted to fish in this arm of the lake, yielded my best of the day - chunky fish about 3.5 lbs. Actually towed me a little ways. This one was laying under an overhanging tree, skipped the Senko in there and was rewarded.

Around 8:30 the wind kicked up a bit, not bad but put a ripple on the water. Decided to hit the other end of the lake, about 1.25 miles which was a nice bit of exercise. Down by the dam I saw something unusual for me, a swan, darn thing was back in a cove by the dam. I thought most swans were domesticated, but this bird wasn't near anything domestic.

Had a good morning 14 bass total with 6 keepers. And the final picture is the bait I used.

I included a picture of the bait for the shameless purpose of promoting my buddy Doc Irv's work. This is one of his Senko clones in one of my favorite colors. This one lure caught 9 bass today (picture taken after #8), including the three pictured above, and was tied on from last week when I think I caught 1 bass on this bait. Note that it's wacky rigged, and no special rings are attached, just a Gammy hook stuck through the middle of the bait. This bait caught fish, several fish, actually lots of fish. I cannot say I ever remember catching more than 3 bass on a single G.Y. Senko, these baits hold up well without any special treatment. Oh, and it's still tied on and ok to be used next trip.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-15-12 at 03:11 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 02:18 PM   #2
islandbass

That is nice looking bait and a great report. Yeah, be mindful of those swans. I think it wasn't too long ago that a swan actually made a kayaker drown.
Old 06-15-12, 03:00 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

AWESUM BRUCE!!!!! love the story, fish.......everything really. cept the fact it was OYU instead of me. hahahahaha!!! thanks man for real.
Old 06-15-12, 06:05 PM   #4
bassinbob

Hey Bruce nice bass and story. What lake do you fish?
Old 06-15-12, 06:09 PM   #5
bassboogieman

This was at Marsh Creek State Park, Linoville, Pa. (about 30 miles w/o Phila.), electric only, Big Bass Lake, also good muskie fishing (both tiger and pure strain).
Old 06-15-12, 06:25 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
This was at Marsh Creek State Park, Linoville, Pa. (about 30 miles w/o Phila.), electric only, Big Bass Lake, also good muskie fishing (both tiger and pure strain).
I was under the impression that to you there is no such thing as "good muskie fishing".

Looks like you had an awesome day, buddy. Congratulations.
Old 06-15-12, 07:31 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Quote:
I was under the impression that to you there is no such thing as "good muskie fishing".
You're actually partially correct as those feelings pertain specifically to this particular lake. My statement was made with my intent to convey the fact there IS good muskie fishing there, despite my personal feelings about the INFESTATION of INVASIVE species in this "Big Bass Lake" of only 535 acres. Specifically, in regard to this fishery, I kinda look at them like a snakehead, just not as tasty.
Old 06-15-12, 11:06 PM   #8
aikenyounggun

I'm gonna reiterate what islandbass said, swans are freeking crazy. They are a pretty tough fight (if you dont believe me I'm sure YouTube has a bunch of people get beat up by swans). And they are aggressive if they have chicks nearby and feel in danger.

But good job, ive had the opportunity to be towed around by a fish, pretty fun. (paddle boat- don't ask)
Old 06-16-12, 11:23 AM   #9
keithdog

I'm glad to see your getting out and enjoying the new yak Bruce. Pretty cool story about the baloonist. Nice looking fish!
Old 06-18-12, 12:04 PM   #10
Bassboss

Very nice fish! Where can I get some of those senkos?
Old 06-18-12, 02:34 PM   #11
bassboogieman

Here ya go, Sammy. http://docirvcustombaits.com/tacklebox/ Check his web page.
He makes a few baits I really like, and they've produced well for me. That stick bait is a dark green pumpkin w/black flake (medium) and chartruse tail. This one is a "medium" plastic which is very durable, but stiffens more in cold water which affects the action a bit but I find them just fine for summer fishing and wacky rigging.

Remember, he's a custom maker so you need to decide exactly what you want. Call or email him with questions. In the example of the senko - he can make them virtually identical to the G.Y. original in weght, softness and fall rate, or like the ones I have, just a little tougher so they last longer. Scents or salt all can be added, but keep in mind salt adds weight and may affect color (especally white or "clear" baits) and rate of fall. Stiffer plastic is more durable but not quite the same action as the softer baits. Keep in mind those trade offs. And if you have a favorite color, send him a sample to match, because some of the commercial brands with the same color name vary slightly. Want a different fleck color than commercially available - he can do that too. If you decide to order, tell him I referred you.

I've had good luck with several of Doc's baits. I won't bore you with listing them here. Some are unique when compared to commercial baits, others are a close clone. It's the tweaking of the plastic composition that sets custom apart form most commercial baits. Anyone interested in some of my favorites, that I have personal experience in using, can PM me - I'll be happy to pass them along.

Thanks for asking, Sam!
Old 06-23-12, 01:41 PM   #12
Z521Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow nice - but why did you need to sneak out?
Z521Bass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.