Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-07, 08:06 PM   #1
stylgeo
BassFishin.Com Member

Default First ever bass, on the other side of the Atlantic!

Hello everyone,
Name's George and I am writing from Cyprus, an island in the Mediterranean Sea. If you bare with me after this long thread (and forgive any language mistakes since I am Greek) I'll get to my point after some thoughts on the subject.

I've been fishing at sea since the age of 6, so it's been more than 16 years now. I started fishing at lakes 10 years ago. I started fishing for trout and carp at a certain lake that's close to were I live. About 6-7 years ago I started catching some small fish, with huge mouths that I hadn't seen before. They were too small, no more than 10-12cm (that's about 5 inches I think) so I had to return them in the water. After about a year or two the small carp of the lake disappeared, so did the small trout. You could only see some huge uncatchable fish roaming in the water (when I say huge I mean 25-30lb carp or 10lb trout). I asked about it at the fisheries department and they said that they were experimenting with a species of fresh water bass that was imported from the US (yeah, you guessed it!). They said that this fish was a verocious predator and it was probably eating the smaller fish of the lake. I was so frustrated that they stocked the lake with imported fish, jeopartizing the native fish of the lake, that I stopped fishing there for a long time, and focused on my sea-fishing. Until a week ago when I visited my local tackle store and noticed a lure that had a photo of that kind of fish on the package. Then I knew that it was a Largemouth Bass, but I only knew it from the internet or some fishing programs on the telly. The bait was about 3 inches long and it had the golden-yellow colour of the carp with 3 tremble hooks underneath. I bought it and went to the lake after a looong time since my last visit there.

It was a hot summer afternoon and thought that the fish might be in shade, so my first cast was at the shade of a big rock. As soon as the bait hit the water this huge spash-explosion brought my heart pumping. I realised that on the end of my line was the biggest fish I ever caught. And indeed, after about 6-7 jumps, a lot of running and a huge adrenaline rush, I landed a fish that weighted 2.5kg (I think that's about 5.5lb) and half a meter long. I was in shock. I was only using a 5lb test line, I would never have guessed that I would catch a fish that big! I've visited that lake 5 times now, and caught about 30 fish, averaging from 1lb to 3lb. I haven't caught any fish as big as the first one, but I am getting there!

The point is I know absolutelly NOTHING about bass-fishing. Actually I've read a lot about it in the last week, but here in Europe we mainly fish at lakes for trout or big carp. I've only fished with that kind of lure, which I don't know how you call it in the US. As I said before, it replicates a fish, with big plastic lip, 3 tremble hooks unterneath and it swims about a foot from the surface, depending on how you retrieve.

What other bait should i need to buy? Should I consider buying a spinning rod? I can only cast that 15-20 meters away. And that's with a 5lb test line on the reel. What if i need a stronger line?

And another questions which will probably raise some discussion. Why release all of the fish? I tend to take one or two home. They are delicious!! Maybe it's a culture thing. I live on an island, where fish is a large part of our diet. So, I choose a couple of good eating size to take home for some barbeque. If I need to release the fish, please help me recognise the fish that I have to release. I don't even know their spawning season!

If you are still reading thanks! Sorry for this long thread, but I'd really like some advice!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.