Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-11, 11:15 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Advice about my wrist.

I just got back from my appointment with an Orthopedic Doctor, here's what he said.....

Since both x-rays didn't show anything, he said get a CT scans and an MRI, to see if their is any structural damage. If their is, get a cast. If not, don't. Either that or skip the scans, and treat it like it's broke and put a cast on it. He said if I was his son, and I did end up needing a cast, he wouldn't let me play. He also said (basically what Smitty said), that if I did play and ended up hurting it, that if I don't get surgery it could heal wrong and I could end up with Arthritis in my wrist. Something I definitely don't want if I want to continue fishing.

Ok cool, I'm getting the scans to see what's up.

IF they do show damage, and the Ortho decides I should get a cast on it, I'm not sure what to do. Obviously if they do not show damage, I'll play.

Should I do what I have been doing.... playing, and when it starts hurting stop. He said the cast should protect it, but if I land on it, or get it landed on, their is a possibility to re-injure it. If I do end up getting it hurt and needed surgery so it heals right then I'm all for that. I'd be fine having it immobilized completely the off season. Ice is on the water and I don't play basketball, so nothing wrong with that.

Or would it be better if the scans show I need a cast to just sit out most or all of season. obviously that would be safer, but is it worth it, THAT is my question.

First official game is Friday, need to decide fast....
Old 08-15-11, 11:39 AM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

No offense man, but you're talking about HIGH SCHOOL football. If you are good enough and it could pay or help pay for some college, I would be more apt to take the risk and play. If you are just looking to play for fun with no future in the sport, I would err on the side of caution.

This is coming from someone who has several pains that remind him of his high school and college sports injuries. Were they worth it? Most days I don't think so.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 11:47 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

First off, you should remove all oil and water based lubricants from your room or stash spot to prevent any further injury.

Second, weigh the options man. Is it worth it if you go against what the doc recommends? Are you starting? Do you see yourself advancing past high school? Aren't you a sophmore? If you sit out you can still take reps with the squad and have 2 more years of playing. Either way you are rolling the dice. I'm 35, which I still consider fairly young. I have to wait a few minutes before I can stand up straight and I limp in the morning. All for a few minutes of glory in high school and not listening to people like Smitty. It was fun while it lasted, but it sucks now. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have just stayed in the stands and sat by Mary, because she always brought a blanket with her dates to the game and everyone left with a smile and no injuries.
Old 08-15-11, 12:00 PM   #4
Bassboss

First off. LMAO BUBBA! Yes I'm still a Sophomore and I am starting as far as I know, unless something changes this week in practice.

That's what I keep asking myself, do I wanna pay for aches and pains when I'm older for 3 short years of glory. I don't really see myself going any where to fast playing for a Division 6 HS... but you never know.

Thanks for advise guys....
Old 08-15-11, 05:31 PM   #5
nobass

as a sophmore you are not non growing yet if you do futher damage to your wrist it may never be right. doctors seem to know more than we do. how long as it been and its still hurting somethings wrong and need to get fixed now at yoour age you should heal fast. talk to your coach and telll him what doctor said. if he is worth anything you can still do reps with team if doctors gives ok. you have the rest of your life ahead of you sports are great do not get me wrong . if you go pro thats one thing but saying you played high school and 1,5o weill buy you a cup of coffee. take care of your body now it will pay off later. get good grades a scholarship and a degree. that will but money on table a lot quicker than high school football. heal play two healthy years and enjoy it while you can
Old 08-15-11, 05:37 PM   #6
bamabassman

take it from me sam, it ain't worth it man. look...i have horrible knees, back, ankles, hands and neck. i played from the age of 5 till i graduated high school. i started most every year too. "thought" i was good enough to make to the next level. BUT I WASN'T! i was only kidding myself. maybe, if i had worked harder i "might" have played div III. doubt it though. my senior year i broke my right foot on the fourth play of the 4th game. it was dislocated, and turned backwards. didn't feel a thing till they pulled it out and set it. took 2 shots of the "good stuff", morphine and played the rest of the game. on film i looked like peg-legged pete out there.
TO THIS DAY IT HURTS CONSTANTLY. always having to pop it. i tore 6 tendins total. tore the achiles tendon from my heal too. at half time we taped it up to my knee. and i played. after the game (next day) it was so swollen up i couldn't put on a sock. i went to the doctor and he said he couldn't even put a cast on it because it was so swollen.
and like a fool, i listened to my coach. he said he could get me back on the feild in 2 weeks. ice, walk,ice,walk. 2nd week...back at full speed in full gear on that monday. tuesday, bakc on crutches and wrapped up foot. swollen up again and couldn't, WOULDN'T put a cast on it. thought i was a "big,bad, football player". runied my chances of even TRYING to walk on ANY team. little 2-a school is where i went. now it is a 5-A. i work manuel jobs sam. and i hurt each and every day. listen to what i am telling oyu buddy. IT AIN'T WORTH IT. studying is gonna take oyu futher than oyu'll EVER go with sports.
sorry if this sounds like a rant, but i can only tell oyu what i went through. i LOVE football. and my dream was to be a high school coach. maybe a small college coach. but now, i wouldn't wish what happened to me to happen to ANYONE. EDUCATION is the key little brother.
take the time off and HEAL. study like a mad man. then work out PROPERLY. and try it agian. i know it is hard to sit out, but oyu'll thank me later in life, i promise oyu that.
Old 08-15-11, 07:54 PM   #7
MIbasser

Take if from the guy who pulled every muscle in his lower back (jumping a motorcycle) to breaking a collar bone (holding onto a car at 35 mph on a dirt road while on a mtn bike), to multiple broken fingers, a hamstring that POPPED (could hear it as did the guy I was running with) and water in my knee more then once and never had it drained and a separated shoulder (multiple times). Most of which was done before my senior year in high school. I had offers to play college ball (4.6 40 yard dash, 10.86 100 meter dash) and I knew then my body was beat to heck then. I'm now 35 and pretty much hurt every day (being a little over weight doesn’t help either). Take it easy and don't destroy it. I can now play catch for about 30 minutes with either a football or a softball, then my arm feels like it's about to fall off. Trust me, it's not worth it.

Oh, and a broken foot that was crushed between two golf carts (don't ask....)
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 09:18 PM   #8
bcklash

In the process of getting ready to replace both knees. Already get 3 shots in each knee every 6 months hoping knee replacements doesn't come soon, but doc is on my arse to do it. Can't walk up and down steps without railings, can't stand and fish. Broke my collar bone, my wrist, tore my hamstring and pulled them several times, been concused twice and several jammed and broken fingers.
The bad knees are from bowling. I have bowled in leagues for 35 straight years and I have 2 weeks to decide if I can make it 36 years in a row and the dicision is driving me friggin nuts. I want to bowl, but the doc, the wife and the pain may prevail.
Tomorrow is not promised to any one, so if I wanted to play a sport I played it.

YES IT WAS WORTH IT TO ME
YES I WOULD DO IT ALL AGAIN
Old 08-16-11, 12:14 AM   #9
Bassboss

Default Do you believe in mearicals ?

Thanks again for the input guys. Told my coaches today, one said wait it would a week or three, the other said keep going, stop if it hurts.

Today was along practice. 2 1/2 hours of wuppin *** (and *** whipped ), on the line and I was feeling fine. It hurt a wee tiny bit after the first few plays, but no pain afterwards.

Ridding home I was thinking my wrist was gonna be hurtin... well.. quite the opposite really. NO PAIN WHATSOEVER were the doc was poking 9 hours ago, and it hurt when he poked it then. Can't explain it but it just don't really hurt any more, I hurts a little when I do a push up (something that was NOT gonna happen before with a flat palm), but that's about it. I'll still be waring the brace, and get the scans.. I guess I'll see how it feels tomorrow.

Oh yeah, Pretty sure my right ring finger, bottom knuckle's swollen the size of a quarter, and kinda hurts. Probably should said something to the doc today. Doh!

Last edited by Bassboss; 08-16-11 at 12:53 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-11, 06:15 PM   #10
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In the 2nd week of practice my senior year I dislocated my finger. When the Dr poped it back in (after waiting for him to show for four hours) he told me not to participate for at least 3 weeks. I laughed and said we had our first scrimmage that following friday and I wasn't going to miss it. We used the brace the Dr gave me and then procceded to make a fist into a club with tap. First play of the game I brought that club up on some poor offensive linemens facemask and bent it strait down. Hurt like hell so I just cut off the tape and played without the brace. My finger isn't completely strait but its in full working order. I also popped my knee out on the 4th play of the 1st game my freshmen year. Our trainer (also our offensive line coach) told me that I had two choice: I could sit on the bench and be a *****(I let you fill in the blank) or he could wrap up my knee and I could get my fat a$$ back out there. I said.......WELL WRAP IT UP. I played the rest of the game on both offense and defense (we only had 12 players) I will never regret any of it. I have popped my knee out twice since then. Its up to you but I didn't care that it was only High School, I played the game because I loved it and because I wanted to win at any cost......
Old 08-16-11, 07:14 PM   #11
bamabassman

hahaha adam, during the 2nd game my senior year i doslocated the last joint on the left hand, ring and pinkie fingers. had my buddy pop em back into place. didn't hurt till he put em back where they were suposed to be. taped em together andplayed on. things like that isn't what i was referring to when i made my post earlier.
what i was trying to say to sam is if the doctor thinks your wrist is broken or has a hair line fracture (like my foot did), don't play on it.
i loved the game as well. but i had a REAL chance of advancing into college. although it wasn't gonna be for the TIDE, i still had a chance to go. THAT is why i was so adamant about not hurting the wrist anymore than it already is.
Old 08-16-11, 11:37 PM   #12
Bassboss

Thank you again guys, and I'm definitely enjoying the stories!

Got an MRI today (pretty dadgum fun btw, hehehe), should hear back from the doc in a day or so. Pray for the best.
Old 08-17-11, 01:43 AM   #13
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hahaha adam, during the 2nd game my senior year i doslocated the last joint on the left hand, ring and pinkie fingers. had my buddy pop em back into place. didn't hurt till he put em back where they were suposed to be. taped em together andplayed on. things like that isn't what i was referring to when i made my post earlier.
what i was trying to say to sam is if the doctor thinks your wrist is broken or has a hair line fracture (like my foot did), don't play on it.
i loved the game as well. but i had a REAL chance of advancing into college. although it wasn't gonna be for the TIDE, i still had a chance to go. THAT is why i was so adamant about not hurting the wrist anymore than it already is.
John, Sorry I wasn't referring to anything you said. I apologize if I offended. I just base it on what I did in school. For me in his position I would play no matter what but thats just me.
Old 08-17-11, 11:46 AM   #14
Bassboss

Doc called today, said the MRI showed a fracture, not sure how bad yet, but I'm getting the cast on today. He "said" no football.....
Old 08-17-11, 01:34 PM   #15
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
He also said (basically what Smitty said), that if I did play and ended up hurting it, that if I don't get surgery it could heal wrong and I could end up with Arthritis in my wrist. Something I definitely don't want if I want to continue fishing.....
So who do I bill????

Sounds like it is a Scaphoid fx? But it isn't displaced or doesn't need to be pinned in place (yet). So you'll be out for a while to give it a chance to heal. If you had it splinted and were not playing on it......sound familiar??....you'd be back much sooner than what you will have to wait now (but hopefully you've learned a little something here).

Do as you are instructed and follow up with the Ortho.....you still may need to get it pinned after being in the cast.

And your second coach is an idiot......my professional opinion.

Here's a pic so everyone can see what he's dealing with except the fracture isn't as easily seen.

Last edited by 3dkicker; 08-17-11 at 01:39 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-11, 01:41 PM   #16
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
So who do I bill????

Sounds like it is a Scaphoid fx? But it isn't displaced or doesn't need to be pinned in place (yet). So you'll be out for a while to give it a chance to heal. If you had it splinted and were not playing on it......sound familiar??....you'd be back much sooner than what you will have to wait now (but hopefully you've learned a little something here).

Do as you are instructed and follow up with the Ortho.....you still may need to get it pinned after being in the cast.

Here's a pic so everyone can see what he's dealing with except the fracture isn't as easily seen.

Yup, that's the thing there. I'll see if I can put some pics of the scans.

Sounds like it would be a good idea to give a few (2) weeks to heal, but buy then I'll have missed 3 games!!
Old 08-17-11, 01:47 PM   #17
3dkicker

More like 6-8 weeks.......as I said before this isn't an injury to mess around with. Do I need to find that 2x4???
Old 08-17-11, 05:52 PM   #18
bamabassman

adam, i wasn't offended buddy. it's jsut that i was robbed way back when and i don't want to see it happen to sam. he still has 2 more years to go.

and this is EXACTLY why, smitty is DEAD ON. thank oyu david for putting up the x-ray. i had a hairline fracture on my foot, playing on it made it worse. senior year and all that crap. funny thing, yesterday at work i was walking and stepped wrong, bam. foot ain't been right since. same ol injury acting up on me.

and davind, if he don't listen to you.....i'll supply the 2X4 buddy. and i agree about the 2nd coach being an IDIOT. this kid has 2 more years of playing high school footbal to go. HEAL SAM!! then come back wiht a vengance man. work out like crazy, get buffed and bulked up first. then you can go out there and DOMINATE. i kow it's hard to do, but believe me, it'll be worth it in the end.

i had 3 different coaches in 4 yrs of playing high school ball. senior year we got a new coach. he didn't care aobut the seniors, all he wanted to do was up his resume and go to another higher paying school. we were his first school as a head coach. agian, i digress......sorry.

HEAL UP SAM!!! don't make me a smitty come up there.
Old 08-17-11, 06:41 PM   #19
Bassboss

Got the cast on now. Got says at least 6 week recover time. Plan on running today with the team, then going inside and working my legs/ted mill. Doubt I'll be able to fish untill I get the cast off too, got my thumb wrapped up and can't move it. So basically I have 9 fingers, lmao. I wont play unless I need too, and there's no one else, but I doubt that'll happen, lol. Better to miss half a season the F up the rest of my two I guess.... gonna be a long six weeks (or more)!
Old 08-17-11, 08:28 PM   #20
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

An MRI to see a break? That's a new one on me.

Good luck and follow the doc's orders!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-11, 11:39 PM   #21
Bassboss

Man one day in and I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!! Doc won't let me play till 9/30, and I couldn't play if I could. 1) The cast is to hard, and the officials won't let me. 2) coach won't put me in till then due to @$%^* Liability issues. By then I'll have three games to play in.

Oh well, It's all for the better I'm sure.

Last edited by Bassboss; 08-17-11 at 11:59 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 06:09 PM   #22
bamabassman

IT IS FOR THE BETTER SAM!!!! look here boy....i got enough 2X4's for all of us to come up there and knock oyu ou now. i know it's hard pal, but TRUST the doc. work out, heal up, get stronger, faster. oyu'll be ok buddy. 3 games can make a HUGE impact on the team, going out there and messing it up worse won't.
during the games oyu are out, WATCH, STUDY the opposing team. tell and help out your teammates by telling them what the other team is doing. take notes and give them to the coach during halftime. cheer your team mates on. they'll thank you for the help.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.