Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-06, 01:45 AM   #1
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Post Spawn Help

Well crap, I'm in a bit of a pickle. April 22 the local Home Builders Association is having a Fishing Tournament and the location is still yet to be determined. Being a Mortgage Broker, by boss is suggesting that I offer to volunteer to help organize this event. As my name implies, I LOVE RODMAN! I don't really care for tourneys near spawning season. Would yall think April 22 will be far enough in Spring to be post spawn? Being that the location is yet to be determined, I'd hate to recomend Rodman for a tourney location before post-spawn. If the bass have hatched then I don't have much of a problem with it, but would rather not be part of an event pulling bass off beds full of eggs just waiting to hatch. My guess is we've had a fair enough winter so far and feel late april will definately be post-spawn, but only being Jan 3. its hard to say. Orange Lake would be an option but I feel its still in a recovery phase from drying up and wouldn't even consider it. Only other option would be Lake George, Oclawaha River, or Lake Weir. Lake George is somewhat of a far drive, Oclawaha River mmmmm, maybe, and Lake Weir, more of a water skiing lake. I'd like to pick something with some great fishing so I'm leaning towards, Oclawaha, George, or Rodman. I'm leaning on George simply because of its size, a tourney of this size would have little to no impact. What's yalls feedback?
Old 01-03-06, 05:55 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

you should be out of the spawn mode down there by then..

zooker
Old 01-03-06, 11:51 AM   #3
Rodman_Rob

typically it is done by then, but with this mild winter we've had so far, I'm a little concerned the cold will come on strong near the end of the season causing temps to be too low for the bass to start when they normally do, i think I'm just gonna do it at lake george.
Old 01-03-06, 02:36 PM   #4
George_Welcome
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Spawn

Spawning Habits - Spawning occurs from December through May, but usually begins in February and March in most of Florida when water temperatures reach 58 to 65 degrees and continues as temperatures rise into the 70s.

Is there really any sight fishing these days on Rodman?

The spring spawn depends largely on what's happening right now. If this spawn happens on this moon coming than you can expect that the spring spawn will happen in March. However if weather moves in and stalls this spawn the spring spawn will happen later.

Why would you think that George will be different?
Old 01-03-06, 11:05 PM   #5
Rodman_Rob

yeah, site fishing is possible in certain areas, especially around the Orange Springs area.

I don't think George will be any different, but being such a large lake, it would be less of an impact.
Old 01-08-06, 11:10 PM   #6
lizardsrule

What is the expected turn out for the tourney? A nice smaller lake I've been fishing is Wildcat Lake about 1 mile east of St RD 19 on St Rd 40, only 250 acres though. Where do I sign up LOL How is Lake Weir and Lake George? We tried to get on Rodman about 1 month ago, and were told it was closed because of a water problem? Not sure if the person at the park knew what they were talking about. Probably try again in the next couple of weeks.

Lizards
Old 01-09-06, 01:24 AM   #7
Rodman_Rob

hmmm, what ramp were you launching from? there haven't been any water problems that I know of. I do know the ramp at the Greenways Campground was closed because the winds blew up some weeds and logs but that's the only closure I know of.

don't know expected turnout. have you tried halfmoon? Its not nearly as far of a drive and I'd say is much better fishing with bigger bass. Lake Weir is more of a skiing lake but does have some big fish. Lake George is the 2nd largest lake in the state, some parts are desolate and some parts see a fair amount of boat traffic, but definately some good fishing on lake george.

I suggest you go to the ONF ranger station/visitor center at the intersection of CR 315 and SR 40 and ask for their Fishing/Lakes Book of the ONF. I think its $10 but well worth it. Has maps of the lakes, tells you if its clear or stained, has topography maps of the lakes, types of cover, etc.
Old 01-10-06, 07:45 AM   #8
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob
hmmm, what ramp were you launching from? there haven't been any water problems that I know of. I do know the ramp at the Greenways Campground was closed because the winds blew up some weeds and logs but that's the only closure I know of.

don't know expected turnout. have you tried halfmoon? Its not nearly as far of a drive and I'd say is much better fishing with bigger bass. Lake Weir is more of a skiing lake but does have some big fish. Lake George is the 2nd largest lake in the state, some parts are desolate and some parts see a fair amount of boat traffic, but definately some good fishing on lake george.

I suggest you go to the ONF ranger station/visitor center at the intersection of CR 315 and SR 40 and ask for their Fishing/Lakes Book of the ONF. I think its $10 but well worth it. Has maps of the lakes, tells you if its clear or stained, has topography maps of the lakes, types of cover, etc.
Already got the book, you are correct it is a great book for fisherman. I get out occasionally when we get done early at work. Plus when we aren't working, I will try to get out. Yes we need to get together to go fishing. I am in the process of repairing my trailer right now. It was caught on something after launching my boat at Wildcat and broke the frame Barely got it back to Ocala, now I have it torn apart, gonna see if it's cheaper to have it welded or just fix it myself. Also once I get it fixed, gotta take my boat to a service center. I did get it running for a few days, now won't start again I still use it to fish, just trollling motor only for now.

Lizards
Old 01-13-06, 12:29 AM   #9
onlyculprits
BassFishin.Com Member

Just an aside that floated through the beer suds - I suspect our opinions on not bed fishing are more "politically correct" than realistic. I wouldn't be surprised if one day it was proven that quantity of food available for the fry is the 99% factor in determining a good or bad population.

I'm undecided whether I'm becoming a cunning pragmatist or a depressing old bastard.

definition of manatee - tree huggers' darling, also an effective speed bump in crowded waters.
onlyculprits is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.