Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-11, 06:09 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Frog skin falling off.

On a recent trip to the big city, I was able(allowed)to stop by Bass Pro for some limited shopping. Among the items I snagged that day I wanted to try a Spro frog, but I wasn't ready to pay that much so I went with the "house" version since they looked almost identical.

A couple of days ago, I removed the bait from its package and was giving it the once over, and as I handled it I begin to notice that the paint was coming off...it was just rolling up under finger pressure....I dunno if all these plastic bodied frogs have the same problem or if I just got one from a bad batch of frogs, painted on a monday morning or a friday afternoon but it looks like I'm fixin to see if I can repaint it myself.....dunno if I got any paint that'll stick to it but we're fixin to find out....I did notice that a Shapie marker seemed to hold and not wipe off, so I might be hunting me down some colored markers before it over....I gotta naked frog in need of some color......lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XPS-frog.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	6986   Click image for larger version

Name:	XPS-frog-01.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	6987  
Old 07-15-11, 06:16 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ohhh... that aint good. I say fish em as they are. I doubt it'll really affect the performance, and find a battle damaged bait can often out fish an undamaged one. Gives it torn up kinda look. But with your skilled, I think a custom air brushing would look sweet.
Old 07-15-11, 06:16 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

That's brand new out of the package? I have a couple Spro frogs, and the paint is fine on them. I'd say you got a bad one. Some redneck in Arkansas probably painted that one....
If you want, you could probably email or call Spro and tell/show them what you've got and see what they'll do. What probably should happen is they send you a replacement (or a whole bunch) for free to make up for it. It's worth a quick email, for sure.
Old 07-15-11, 06:17 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

Looks like it time for a frog with awesome art work on it!

No but seriously that aint right...Shouldnt be anyway....Someone new at the factory missed a step during assembly.
Old 07-15-11, 06:50 PM   #5
keithdog

By "house version", I assume your talking a BPS Kermy frog? If so I would call their customer service on the phone and complain. You might get a free one in the mail.
Old 07-15-11, 07:37 PM   #6
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

the worlds best bass frog does the same thing, and it costs even more. My spros are still fine, but I hear they can get some loss, but thats crazy there. Maybe thats why the BPS frog costs half the price?
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 08:29 PM   #7
3dkicker

Found a Spro popper on the river that has the same issue but it had been submerged for a couple days or a week.....
Old 07-15-11, 08:38 PM   #8
66KingFisher

Yes it was new right outta the package....I'd handled it for maybe a minute or two before I noticed something on my hands and realized it was the factory paint coming off.

I'm not a big complainer so I dunno if I'll make a call or even drop an email to BPS...I might....Not looking for a free lure but just to let them know they might have a problem.

As you can see, I managed to get some paint on the frog body and kinda got him lookin like a frog again....lol. So far it seems to adhere well so we'll see how it holds up once I get to chunkin it into the pads...lol....At least for now it looks a fishable lure again, and I'm anxious to try it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frog-repaint.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	6988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frog-repaint-01.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	6989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frog-repaint-02.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	6990  
Old 07-15-11, 09:07 PM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
Yes it was new right outta the package....I'd handled it for maybe a minute or two before I noticed something on my hands and realized it was the factory paint coming off.

I'm not a big complainer so I dunno if I'll make a call or even drop an email to BPS...I might....Not looking for a free lure but just to let them know they might have a problem.

As you can see, I managed to get some paint on the frog body and kinda got him lookin like a frog again....lol. So far it seems to adhere well so we'll see how it holds up once I get to chunkin it into the pads...lol....At least for now it looks a fishable lure again, and I'm anxious to try it out.
Looks awesome!! Hope the paint holds up!
Old 07-15-11, 09:11 PM   #10
lilmule

Guessing that green frog,will eventually become a white rat er white frog ,makes lil difference as long as they hit it.
The biggest problem I have with these type of frogs is the legs,put two different brands next to each other lible to melt one or both,and after a year of fishing legs get stuck and rot with no easy replacement tool made.Have a doz spro and others awaiting skirt legs,sitting on the side,as no easy replacement known to me.
Plus hate having to squeeze them out,at times the small black spro is the hotest bait going on ky lake,the rest of the time if I can use anything else will(frog)
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 10:11 PM   #11
Marc David
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Looks awesome now, was hoping you'd sling some paint on it. Haven't seen that happen to a Spro frog before, as stated above, probably just a bad one that slipped through.
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 12:08 PM   #12
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Sounds like a bad batch to me. I've got a couple Kermys and haven't lost any paint off them
Old 07-16-11, 05:45 PM   #13
66KingFisher

I can already tell this paintjob is going to do something simular to the factory job sooooo....I'm thinking the Sharpie marker route might be the better way to go since the test marks I made wouldn't come off with lacquer thinner when I cleaned the body yesterday....Think I'll aquire some colored Sharpies and try again later, but for now its goin in the water tomorrow morning....lol
Old 07-18-11, 01:07 PM   #14
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Guessing that green frog,will eventually become a white rat er white frog ,makes lil difference as long as they hit it.
The biggest problem I have with these type of frogs is the legs,put two different brands next to each other lible to melt one or both,and after a year of fishing legs get stuck and rot with no easy replacement tool made.Have a doz spro and others awaiting skirt legs,sitting on the side,as no easy replacement known to me.
Looking for a solution to this problem myself......maybe be a business opportunity.

*Sent an email to Spro about the leg problem and paint issue. I'll post what I get back.*

** 7/19/11 - No reponse so far. **

Last edited by 3dkicker; 07-19-11 at 01:06 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 04:22 PM   #15
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Some redneck in Arkansas probably painted that one....
Nope, it's not painted razorback red. I did see some yellow in there mabye someone in Mississippi painted it
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 05:11 PM   #16
bamabassman

lol, doc..ssippi folk use water colors and paint with their toes....then never understand why it won't stick. hahahahahahaha!!!
Old 07-25-11, 12:27 PM   #17
66KingFisher

I will say, that I fished with it all morning, and the paint held up ok so far. A couple of hours draggin it thru grassbeds didn't bother it much....Some, but not much.....I'm still thinking the Sharpie marker route might be a better way to go....Still gotta get me some colored ones to try....that and few more frog bodies...lol

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.