Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-07, 05:47 PM   #1
coach32217
BassFishin.Com Member

Default need assistance

I am new to Bass fishing and need to know of any good online sites with video that can help me. I understand the different types of spinners and jigs. I have plenty of those poppers,etc. What I am interested in the most is the reel motion. Do Ii real fast as the lure hits the water or do I wait 5-10 minutes then bring it in slow. I remember years ago letting the spinner go to the bottom and bring it back as fast as you can. But I was a wee little lad at the time. Any advice would be appreciaed. I am almost tempted to hire a guide.
coach32217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 06:05 PM   #2
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Deffinitely dont let it wait 10 minutes ahha. But the speed of which you reel in depends on you, the bass, and the water you are fishing... For instance, cold water means the bass are more lathargic, so a slow reel speed is key, even letting a jig or worm sit on the bottom for lets say 2 minutes is acceptable. If the water is warm you can get away with a fast reel in speed, but slowing it down works too. If the bass are in spawn you are looking for reaction strikes, hit the beds and either reel the lure fast right over the bed or let it lay in the bed. There are many didfferent factors in which you can determine reel in speed. Try different speeds and motions [pops, yanks, twirks? haha just remember its all in the wrist] untill you find what the bass want. And remember that can change from day to day, so if they arent hitting, change up how you are presenting it, and even the biat if nessacery.
Old 07-24-07, 06:11 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum, Coach!

The answer to your question really depends on the fish. What I mean is sometimes they want the bait burned back in, and sometimes they want it extremely slow. The only way to find out is to vary the speed and let the fish tell you the right speed. I've caught bass burning the bait in and I've caught them barely making it move.

With a spinner or spinnerbait the lure needs to be moving to work properly-pulling it through the water makes the blades turn, so just letting it sit really isn't effective. However, if you are using a soft plastic bait letting it just sit may be exactly what the fish want.

The retrieve also depends on the type of bait you are using. With a spinnerbait or crankbait I use a steady retrieve, but with a soft plastic or jig I use a stop-and go retrieve. Just experiment with different speeds and when you catch one you know you had the right speed.
Old 07-25-07, 01:32 AM   #4
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the forum! Try looking on Youtube.com for fishing videos. There is a bunch of good stuff on there. Also, Bassresouce.com is a great beginner site.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 01:45 AM   #5
millsryno
BassFishin.Com Member

There are a lot of good fishing sites on the 'net, but nothing will beat on the water "classes". A good guide is money well spent. Just make sure you are clear that you are a beginner to the guide before you go. Make sure you can cast a bait caster. Have the guide take you to a body of water near you so you can return there to those spots.

Plan on spending around $200-$400 for a guide. It is usually a little bit more for 2 people to go, but you can split the money with the other person.

Keep in mind, there are no guarantees the guide will get you on fish and I'd recommend waiting 'til Fall if you get a guide as the bite is generally HOT.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.