Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-12, 08:48 PM   #1
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Slow day

My friend Chris and I finally got out for our first day of fishing since last October. We went to one of the powerplant lakes and the outlet had just started to blow a small puff of smoke when we started catching the white bass. They were tiny and we fished most of the big flat to the north of the outlet trying to find some bigger whites or wipers. Most of the bass we caught came off of a point that is the most southern part of the rock wall on the north end by the river. Caught several off that point, mostly on jerkbaits but did get a fish on a pitboss also. My biggest on a jerkbait was probably around 2.5.

We fished all the way down that wall, the river mouth because there were birds diving, and the island. Only part we caught fish off of was the deeper stretch of bank closest to the outlet. Caught the biggest of the day on our second pass down that stretch on a red craw H2O sqarebill.

Caught a couple off of the rock bank in between the cabins and the main ramp. Also caught one off of the dam on a jerkbait. I hooked something at the outlet on the dam on a shakeyhead but it pulled me down into some brush and came off, not sure if it was a bass or not. Pretty slow day but it was nice weather once it warmed up and way better than being at home doing nothing!
2012 bass count=67
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 09:00 PM   #2
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Gotta love being able to fish all day on January 10...looks like you got at least a couple decent ones! Nice job!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 10:34 PM   #3
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

67 bass already? I don't like you!

Nice lookin fish, sounds like a pretty good day!
Old 01-12-12, 10:02 PM   #4
keithdog

Man, your not helping me at all with this cabin fever thing I have going on here. Nice fish though bud. Congrats!
Old 01-12-12, 10:29 PM   #5
Bassboss

Wanna invite me next time? lol

Fishin like that in january would be awesome right now lol. Congrats... I'm jealous!
Old 01-13-12, 08:33 AM   #6
lilmule

Think key words here are power plant lake,not kansas the rest of the state would be a polar outing.
Here at places like old hickory one also has stripers to contend with,as they all like the warm discharges.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-12, 08:42 AM   #7
joedog

Nice job and sounds like great year.
Old 01-13-12, 10:30 AM   #8
kennethdaysale

Clayton....nice fish!
ps I can't believe no one has commented on the stylish green kilt you were sporting in pic # 2
Old 01-13-12, 09:41 PM   #9
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thanks guys.
BB-I'm always willing to take someone else when I don't already have someone else with me.
lilmule-you're right about the warmwater discharge being a key. Up until two days ago there wasn't a sign of ice anywhere, now everything is pretty much frozen over and looks like it might be that way to stay unfortunately. We unfortunately don't have stripers but we do have lots of white bass and hybrids to contend with some days.
kennethdaysale-That's the bottom half of my Guidewear suit in that picture. My little boat isn't the most dry ride out there and nothing ruins a winter outing like being wet. They are getting a little tight though, can hardly zip them anymore. I think they might have shrunk last time I washed them or something
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-12, 10:08 PM   #10
lilmule

Default Several

On the ohio river and knawaha,only 1 I know of here is old hickory,and whites ,hybreds will hit a topwater or a waked bait with the steam rising.
I used a spoon to take bass below them.
But my winter forays are seldom due to old arthur lately.
Nice fish
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-12, 10:14 PM   #11
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebasser86 View Post
Thanks guys.
BB-I'm always willing to take someone else when I don't already have someone else with me.
lilmule-you're right about the warmwater discharge being a key. Up until two days ago there wasn't a sign of ice anywhere, now everything is pretty much frozen over and looks like it might be that way to stay unfortunately. We unfortunately don't have stripers but we do have lots of white bass and hybrids to contend with some days.
kennethdaysale-That's the bottom half of my Guidewear suit in that picture. My little boat isn't the most dry ride out there and nothing ruins a winter outing like being wet. They are getting a little tight though, can hardly zip them anymore. I think they might have shrunk last time I washed them or something

I'm thinkin we shop at the same store
Old 01-15-12, 11:18 AM   #12
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
[/COLOR]

I'm thinkin we shop at the same store
Gosh it's been a while since I've been on here! Mallen, I read your reply and thought to myself that it must be a "chain-store" lol! That was greatness!

Blubasser your pics made miss my home state of Texas again. Nothing like Power Plant Discharge lakes to take the edge off of winter. I enjoyed those pics! The problem is when it's really cold the steam/fog rising off that water immediately freezes on the deck of the boat and anything else it touches and that can be pretty dicey! Still better than a frozen lake!
Old 01-15-12, 11:25 PM   #13
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Those are beautiful fish. Would love to be fishing right now, but I don't like ice fishing!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.