Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-09, 01:52 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default adaptability equals caught fish

I figured I would pass this on for those who can use the info. I suspect that a good majority of the folks on here already know this and can probably articulate better than myself.

Background:

I was able to participate in a bragging rights tourney yesterday that was a blast. The tourney format was simple, who can catch the most legal sized bass in the day. The lake was lake Barrett located here in Southern Cal. The lake is unlike most of the ones found out this way. The lake requires that all fish be released and all hooks must be barbless. This lake has the northern strain of LMB, so they do not get as big, but are more aggressive in their eating habits. 50 bass days are not uncommon and there have been several days with boats reporting 100 fish.
The lake is only open to fishing from 5:00 am until 7:30 pm on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. They limit it to 100 fishermen a day.

Results:
The winning team had 72 fish boated, 2nd place had 64, 3rd had 51. There was a major drop off following 3rd place, 4th place had 21 and the last place (7th place) team finished with 12 fish.

Lessons Learned:
The reason for the drastic differences in the numbers was simply that the top three teams adapted to the environment and the fish faster than the rest of the field.
It was almost funny to hear the same statements from the bottom 4 teams. "Well, this bait/presentation worked last time" "I stuck to that spot because it just looked like it had to hold fish or it is where I caught fish last time"
The top finishing teams quickly identified that the fish were not where they caught them last time and/or they needed to change their technique to catch them.

I find that I am often guilty of the all of those excuses. I have my confidence baits that have produced for me and I throw them a lot. I will usually fish places that best match my strengths. (Debris covered water for frogs, and protruding structures pitching)
I also have presentations that I just don't like to throw. (For me it is finesse fishing, I just don't have the patience)
I think that we (at least I do) often are very stubborn when we fish. I throw baits that I like and expect the fish to adapt to me. I will stick with a bait or presentation way too long into the day and only really change it up out of desperation.

My team finished 5th with 18 fish boated. 5 of those fish were caught before 4:00 pm using frogs, jigs, and big creature baits tight against the structure. The remaining 13 fish were all caught on 4 inch worms and lizards. T-rigged on 6 lbs test with 1/16th weight and a drop shot style hook. All 13 were caught between 10-15 foot of water.
The stubbornness to go to a technique I and my partner dislike hurt us in this event.
I spent this morning rearranging my tackle box. I put the baits that I don't like to throw towards the front. This will force me to at least look at them and hopefully consider them before passing them up to move to my favorites.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.