Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 09-18-12, 09:29 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default descent rod 6' to 6'3

want a good spinning rod for skipping, been doing with my 7 with some good sucess, so was wanting a small rod, maybe a M that can do a 1/2 oz.. skipping, grubs, tiny flukes. like to keep it around 100 or less.
Old 09-18-12, 09:56 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have two 6'3" spinning rods for skipping. One is M the other a MH, both are the same brand and model, both have a fast action, paired with the same reel and 20# braid - I much prefer the MH for skipping under docks. The stiffer rod allows me to skip a bait easier and delivers more power to the short but hard cast that I need to get a bait to skip farther back under whatever it is I casting at. The M just usually skips once or twice and dies. My favorite bait for skipping is a Sweet Beaver, if I need a little weight on it then I insert a nail weight.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-12, 10:37 PM   #3
wallywallace

Thanks, that helps. What rods are they?
Old 09-19-12, 08:38 AM   #4
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Kistler LTA's (2009), only because you asked and I bought the LTA only because a comparable rod was not availalbe in an LTX model. I didn't (and hesitate) to mention the brand as I am no longer recommening them. That may seem unusual as I have been a user of those rods for over 10 years and currently have 20 of them (LTX mostly with 3 LTA and 4 Argon in the mix, again due to a comparable rod not being available in the LTX) in my rod box. Kistler rods produced (in China) after mid-2009 are but a shadow of the original rods built prior to '09 here in the USA.

For that reason, and a couple others, I don't mention the Kistler brand any longer when casually talking about my rods. In mentioning the name, it may create the impression the rods that can be purchased today are what I'm talking about and without the "disclaimer", it would be easy to misunderstand. So I appologize for the length of the reply, but I really have the need to make it clear that the rods I have are not comparable to those currently available, in quality or performance.

I would not purchase a current LTA or Magnesium rod for myself and certainly not want someone else to do so based upon my praise of a rod by the same name/brand and buy a totally different (and inferior, IMO) product and possibly being disappointed. With all that clarification out-of-the-way, IF you can find a used 6'3" LTA spinning rod, for around $100, I would say jump on it (and I would recommend the MH for skipping).
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 09:21 AM   #5
wallywallace

thanks, yea I am not hardcore in the rod scene, but i really havnt heard anything goof from Kristler comming from other mouths. It is very hard to find a good 6-6'3 rod, found a smoke, but it is a M LT, so having trouble, i dont think the bps extremes are worth the 100 they are either, i will try to look up LTa rod.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.