Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-06, 05:32 AM   #1
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Question Weather

How do you guys think this mild winter is gonna' affect the fishing for the rest of the year?

Up here it seems it usually ranges from -10 degrees to 15 degrees from January through the end of February. So this winter is beyond mild for us. I feel bad for my ice fishing brethren, I don't know how they'll survive without 500 lbs. of walleye and panfish in their freezer

I haven't the foggiest idea of how spring will fair. Possibly colder for longer? Hopefully it will be ice-out sooner, pre-spawn sooner, and I'll have more oppurtunities to land that beast that broke my rod last year.

So, anyone a meteorologist? Or psychic? Or have any guesses?
Old 01-27-06, 09:31 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Chances are we'll see a few more sharp cold fronts before spring is truly here. Its been an unreal year for weather though, who would have ever thought that a hurricane season would stretch in to january of the next year and not only go through the list of regular names, but the greek alphabet as well.
Old 01-28-06, 12:49 AM   #3
Jeff/CapeCod
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeff/CapeCod
Cool

It is going to be 55* tomorrow so you know i will be out there
Old 01-28-06, 02:13 AM   #4
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

the bass are already spawning down here. I'm loving this mild winter. Now that the temps are up the bass are really feeding aggresively. Full moon this Sunday. Gonna try to get a few hours in sometime on sunday but may not have the time, definately won't have the time to take the boat Should have enough time to catch a fish or two from the shore. Longer bedding periods create a lot more fry over the spring so theres plenty of food source during the summer and fall months, should be some nice fat females caught next winter. Too bad for you guys still seeing ice, I feel for ya, I really do..........suckers!
Old 01-28-06, 02:37 AM   #5
lokust
BassFishin.Com Member

The wife and I just got here in Northeast Alabama this past Tuesday. We are coming from Michigan. I thought since we are from Michigan it should feel a little warmer here in Bama. But that hasn't been the case, Sure it actually has been warmer, But to me it doesn't feel like it.

I have been able to fish, But it has been blustery with the winds.

I was watching thr weather report last week when we were in Michigan, And the metorologist(sp?) said that we might have a mild winter and a cold spring. I forget what the effect was called, but I hope that isn't the case, Since we will be returning to Michigan Mid-may.

Last year we came down to Bama the first two weeks in Janurary, And then it was nothing but high 60's to mid-70's.

Cold or not, I am gonna truely enjoy not having frozen lakes

-Chris
Old 01-28-06, 12:47 PM   #6
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well then, welcome to Alabama lokust! Guntersville is fixin to heat up, don't worry. Some of the largest fish are caught in february, pre spawn.
Old 01-28-06, 12:55 PM   #7
Fishie

I just think bass will spawn in more of a short time this year if it doesn't get any colder. THe bass right now have been on deep stuff next to really deep water or very close to it.
Old 01-28-06, 05:07 PM   #8
lokust
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL
Well then, welcome to Alabama lokust! Guntersville is fixin to heat up, don't worry. Some of the largest fish are caught in february, pre spawn.
Thanks for the welcome WTL, I am actually fishing a BFL next month on Guntersville. I am nervous as heck, as it is my first tourny.
-Chris
Old 01-28-06, 11:16 PM   #9
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think we are going to see much larger growth overall in the fish...should be able to catch a lot of 5Lb. + bass this year. When I caught by big fish this year, I kept thinking it's mouth was kind of small for it's body, and the rogue went from corner to corner lengthwise in her lower lip, w/all three hooks stuck in. We are going to be in for an awesome year.
Old 01-29-06, 12:37 AM   #10
bassinbob

I went to the closest lake to my house today. The temps reached the mid 50's. There was still ice on the lake. There were about 12 trout fishermen along about 100 yards of shoreline. The ice was out from this part of the lake so I tried a couple of different lures on a carolina rig. I didn't do any good but the sun felt great. Usually around this part of PA. you can't guess when it is finally going to get nice. The cold can stretch into April. It is going to be another warm day tomorrow with rain late in the day. I am going to try to get out for a couple of hours around noon. Most of the ice should be gone so I will be able to try some different spots and try some other types of lures.

Bob
Old 01-29-06, 08:43 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

This winter has definatley been WEIRD. Lots of warm weather but got the bass all screwed up. 2 or 3 days warm weather then cold snap with rain. Bass are kinda saying WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON. But all in all should be a great year for bass growth and quality fish. We need RAIN RAIN and did I mention RAIN. We are still several inches if not feet below normal rainfall for the year, all though we got several feet (exaggerating) the other day. The backwater in the river is just now starting to get up. Making it hard for me to get ready for the B.A.S.S. tourney I am fishing in April this year. The normal patterns are working yet so I gotta back up and regroup. Hopefully I can get on the fish like I have in the past and stay with them so all you folks can see me on the winner's list.
Old 01-31-06, 02:20 PM   #12
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Definately need some major precipitation around here too. I did get the chance to take pictures of structure at several of my secret little ponds. That's something I've always wanted to do. The question now is how long before this structure is submerged again? I don't think it will be this year!
Old 02-01-06, 09:42 PM   #13
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The shad die off will be greatly deminished. Some people think that means a tough bite others a better growth rate. Who knows. Fish2win

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.