Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bass Classifieds

Old 11-06-06, 12:31 AM   #26
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

Some bass pro reels are also made by pflueger.
squack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 01:10 PM   #27
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah,like the jonhy morris signature baitcast reel looks just like a pflueger president.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 11:23 PM   #28
flfireman

Actually pfleuger made the BPS reels until last year.
Old 11-08-06, 01:26 PM   #29
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, I have a BPS PQX10HB....schematically it is identical to a pflueger purist.
Old 11-09-06, 06:25 PM   #30
adamgambill
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I got up-sold to an Abu Revo S while doing research. The pinnacle is an excellent fresh water reel, but I am so inclined to cross my stuff over. Heard the horror stories about fishing BPS extremes in the salt and they are the same reel, went for a little more salt protection. I still think Ill get one for spring bass but thats a ways away.
Old 11-09-06, 06:46 PM   #31
TackleTester

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester

For the record, let's stop saying that a 200 dollar reel won't outperform a lesser priced reel....especially Shimano. Because, there is not a reel made that will out perform one of the new Curados. It's a fact...That's why it's more expensive. Because it's better....Trust me...it is....

However, that is not to say that a lower priced reel such as a Trion (great for the money btw) will not come close to performing as well. Whatever you can afford and like is what you should buy.
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 07:48 PM   #32
adamgambill

No one is saying a 200 dollar reel wont outperform a cheap one. Was the first reel you owned a 'rado? I really doubt it. If you have limited funds you dont have to feel like you arent fishing right without a shimano. I have owned many, and thrown many Id like to own, will I spend 200 bucks for the new 'rado. NO. I can get a calcutta for less or a Chronarch MG for 50 bucks more which will definately out last and out perform a new 'rado.
Old 11-09-06, 07:50 PM   #33
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Ive never had much luck with shimanos. The best advice I can give is to think about how much you fish,what your budget is,and what you fish for. If you follow this you will get a reel that you will enjoy.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 02:52 PM   #34
adamgambill

Put the new Platinum on a Pinnacle Lexus 7' Medium with a SLOOOOW Action and hauled a 3.5, and 4 around 2 on Monday. I really like this cheap little reel. Its smooth and easy to use, still trying to adjust to having external brake control. I like my 'rado SF but this is the new worm setup. I think itll be A-plus for specs a little later this year.
Old 11-18-06, 10:43 PM   #35
Jolly

I'm with skeeter, for the $$$$ extremes are the best reel made. But I still fish my $200 Diawa for flipping.
Old 11-19-06, 03:09 AM   #36
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleTester View Post
For the record, let's stop saying that a 200 dollar reel won't outperform a lesser priced reel....especially Shimano. Because, there is not a reel made that will out perform one of the new Curados. It's a fact...That's why it's more expensive. Because it's better....Trust me...it is....
Your so full of sh*t, I can almost smell you right through the monitor as I look at what you posted.Before you say nothing will outperform the new Curado.You had better open your eyes and look whats going on around you.Stop posting Shimano is good because its expensive, you Shimano owners are so brainwashed its pathetic.You people are like mobile talking billboards. You walk around in a stupor, blurting out loud "Shimano is the best, buy shimano, Shimano this and Shimano that".Lord have mercy , please start facing reality, life can be a dream, but when you wake up and learn the truth, lifes going to be a ***** for a little while until you re-adjust and start thinking and seek the real truth on your own.Remember , before you can learn, you must get past the denial stage, or you can spend the rest of your life being a advertisement zombie for Shimano. I have no loyalty to one specific brand for fishing, I buy whatever I feel works for me.It doesn't have to be the best, its just gotta work well enough , so I can get by with it and catch a few fish to restore some happiness in my life, because I am out fishing instead of having to go to work, or the thousand other things I would rather not be doing instead of going fishing.Life is short, Fish hard & fish often. BTW Thank you for posting Shimano is best , so I could rant and rave.Frankly I am sick and tired of the Shimano slaves broadcasting Shimano Sh!t.How many Shimano fishing lures do you have ? I absolutely love the Shimano triple impact lure.Not because its the best, because it works well. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 04:57 PM   #37
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

PNJ, I think you should face the reality that this is just fishing equipment. Calm down a bit man
Old 11-20-06, 12:57 AM   #38
fishin fool
BassFishin.Com Member

I'v got bad news for all of ya there's only about 3 major manufacturers for all the reels from overseas and they all use the same manufacturer for their bearings. It's just the different types. But will have to agree on a few things though. Mainly construction material of the frames(alum.,graphite,etc.) Graphite is cheaper but will not hold up in the long run by long run I mean 15 years or so. Amount of bearings in a reel and where they're placed alot of overkill on this now and ABEC rating of bearings. Also what fits my hand and such. For my money a Shimano Cardiff is extremely hard to beat it's a poor man's Calcutta but I prefer a round reel. Now if you want the low down on the toughest reel or what's the most durable call a reel repair shop. The one I use said he won't own anything but a Shimano Calcutta. Absolute finest made according to him.
fishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-06, 08:16 AM   #39
TheBossT127
BassFishin.Com Member

Default reels

Guys,
Everyone has an opinion on reels. I myself cannot justify the hefty price tag that some reels are toting around. I just was browsing a BPS catalog last week and saw a reel (not sure of the brand) that was $699! Are you kidding me?? A reel that I bought early this year that I absolutely love is the BPS Extreme baitcaster. It carries a price tag of $49-79.00 and it is fast, smooth and I've never had a backlash with it. I threw mostly crankbaits with it and it was super. I wish I was shilling for a sponsor here, but I am not.
Old 11-23-06, 11:39 AM   #40
st.croixman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to st.croixman

i know the reel boss is talking about if im right and it is the calais dc and man it is sexy hahaha
Old 11-23-06, 11:40 AM   #41
st.croixman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to st.croixman

o and shimano is ****e for spinning reels quantum (ahhhhhhhhhhhh)
Old 11-26-06, 01:25 PM   #42
Vabass22

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_mo View Post
You Can Spend $200+ On A Reel And Get A Reel That Will Cast Further And More Accurate. However That Is What I Use My Spinning Combos For. I Have A Couple Cheap Baitcasters, Granted They Aren't As "smooth" , Don't Cast As Far And Accurate, But I Have Landed Several Good Sized Bass On Them. I Seem To Have A Hard Time Convincing Myself That I Will Catch More Fish With A High Dollar Reel. Use What Works For You And What Fits Your Budget, Don't Try To Keep Up With The Jones.
I can tell myself I will catch way more fish with a high dollar reel. I can cast further, so I don't have to spend precious time moving closer to cover. I can cast more accurate, therefore putting the bait where I want it, and right in the fishes face. You dont have to worry about picking out a backlash every 5 casts. You wont haveto worry about reels breaking in the middle of a trip (yes this has happened to me). You can pull big fish out, w/o having to worry about your gear giving up the ghost. I can also present my bait more efficiently, by know my gear ratio/ line recovery. They dont give you this info when buying cheap reels. Same thing w/ rod length/action/tip. Almost all cheap rods have a very limp tip, and this is not a good thing in most situations.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-06, 01:31 PM   #43
Vabass22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleTester View Post

However, that is not to say that a lower priced reel such as a Trion (great for the money btw) will not come close to performing as well. Whatever you can afford and like is what you should buy.
I would be willing to bet you money that this reel will:
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

I wuoldnt say that nothing will outperform this reel: As I havent tested alll other reels made. I am willing to say that if I could shoose one bass reel, this would be it. Daiwas are made with great parts, even the cheap ones. Ive been fishing hard with a 15$ Daiwa reel for 6 years, and havent had a single problem.

read this reveiw off of bps:
"Sure i have used other reels, shimano curado; which i have owned 4 at a time, and at the time would have claimed to be the best reel on the market, but what is the best? unless you have tried them all so as to give and accurate account, one dont really know. one day i was willing to take a chance and buy a diawa liberto pixy, and ultra finesse reel. one of the best ideas i have ever had. turnes out to be my favorite reel, but that is another story. I later thought if this little reel was so smooth and so light maybe the TD-Z would be an equal but after purchasing one i would have to say i was a little disappointed. but then the steez hit the market, a true equal to the pixy, but a supped up version. strong features strong drag, ultra smooth, ultra light, the best reel i have ever used and well worth the money."

There you go!
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-06, 10:52 PM   #44
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

The STEEZ is the pimp dawg of all reels ever made!!! You guys should check out the rod they make specially for the reel....its insane. I could never own one however (to use it anyway) because I couldn't bear to scratch the thing.......
Old 11-27-06, 07:43 AM   #45
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin fool View Post
I'v got bad news for all of ya there's only about 3 major manufacturers for all the reels from overseas and they all use the same manufacturer for their bearings. It's just the different types. But will have to agree on a few things though. Mainly construction material of the frames(alum.,graphite,etc.) Graphite is cheaper but will not hold up in the long run by long run I mean 15 years or so. Amount of bearings in a reel and where they're placed alot of overkill on this now and ABEC rating of bearings. Also what fits my hand and such. For my money a Shimano Cardiff is extremely hard to beat it's a poor man's Calcutta but I prefer a round reel. Now if you want the low down on the toughest reel or what's the most durable call a reel repair shop. The one I use said he won't own anything but a Shimano Calcutta. Absolute finest made according to him.
Fool I was gonna make a comment now that we have heard from the majority. I have fished and tested just about EVERY reel out there and really put it through the wringers. When I say that I love my shimano's they are the cardiff's. I own both the 100 and 200. So far 3 years and still very smooth and dependable. 109.99 is what they cost. I now own 2 of the new quantum accusrist and am putting them through the wringers. My buddy has the same model quantum's and alrweady I have replaced one of the spool bearings. Only 1 year old. Could be a fluke. I also own a not so well known reel called a Marado (a calcutta replica). Smoothest damn reel I have ever owned. VERY simple design and cheap. When they where new cost around $100 bucks. I have fished Ambassaduer,Daiwa,Plueger,Lew's and am at present awaiting the arrival of the new ardent reel. To sum up what I am saying is you can have good reels at cheaper prices BUT when you fish as much as I do you can really check out a reel especially the punishment I put them through. I have picked up 39.99 reels that felt like 239.00 reels, BUT they wont feel like that a year or 2 later. Take care of your reels and they will feel like new for a while but they ALL deteriorate with age, some faster than others. IMHO for what its worth the good ole round AMBASSADUEUR's are the BEST for the money especially when it comes to longevity. Take care of them oil them and they will outlast ANY reel on the market. The take massive hooksets and dont let down. My shimano cardiff's so far are living up to a 109.00 reel. Now the next time out they may all sound like a freight train when casting.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.