Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-09, 08:22 AM   #1
Racemaster33
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Need Hand Held GPS

Hello everybody. I've visited this site for a while and finally decided to sign up. I live in the middle TN area and am fishing anytime I'm not working.

The wife has really enjoyed fishing with me this summer and has turned into to a Crappie girl. With that in mind I'm looking for a good hand held GPS (cheap) to use to mark Crappie beds on my local lake. This will make her fishing trip more fun (always finding fish). The more fun she has the easier it will be to get out on the water.

If anybody has suggestions on which models work best and are affordable please let me know. Also, if anybody has upgraded and has a used unit for sale I might be interested.

I'm working on getting her more into Bass fishing. She likes the fight but thinks its a lot of work. lol She likes to eat fresh fish and we only like Crappie and Walleye (from fresh water) so it's hard to get her into fishing for fish she can't eat (we catch/release bass).
Racemaster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 08:41 AM   #2
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm with you in looking for a reasonably priced GPS that works on the water (although being married for over 35 years, I sure wouldn't dare call my wife a 'Crappie girl' ! lol) however, all I've seen is in the neighborhood of $500-$600 dollars...So for now, I'm planning to reference landmarks on a lake map when I find good spots to fish.
But I'll watch yer thread here to see what might be uncovered.
Old 10-13-09, 08:55 AM   #3
Racemaster33
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hand held GPS

I'm really just looking for a hand held version. I want to be able to switch it from boat to boat. The ones I'm interested in are like the Lorance H20 or something close. I've found a few on Craig's list but just dont know enough about them to choose a good one. That's what I hope to learn here from other people.
Old 10-13-09, 09:07 AM   #4
riverfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

A Lowrance H2O or a H2O-C is a good little hand held. I bought one off of e-bay last year and a LEI hot spots chip........ cheap. You can't use crappy batteries though it will eat them up quick.
riverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 02:06 PM   #5
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I also have the H2Oc and like it, pretty much has all the features of the big boat units just with a smaller screen. It will put you on spots and work, but I also suggest a map chip so that you can see lake contours so factor that cost in as well. And I agree that it eats batteries when using the screen backlight so it is best to keep it plugged in with the included cigarette lighter power cord.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 08:34 PM   #6
gpbassbuter
BassFishin.Com Member

gpsdiscount.com - I found that they have the cheapest prices.
I bought a Garmin etrex about 3 years ago.
gpbassbuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 10:37 PM   #7
Forums Admin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpbassbuter View Post
gpsdiscount.com - I found that they have the cheapest prices. I bought a Garmin etrex about 3 years ago.
Could you perhaps share your opinions and experience with the Garmin etrex?
Forums Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 06:54 AM   #8
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My etrex works well. It's the low end etrex, no chip for maps, but is working well so far. I think I paid around 89 dollars and am pleased.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 02:01 PM   #9
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a used hand held Garmin 72 with case, Ram mount, cradle, and power cables. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Old 10-21-09, 08:20 AM   #10
Racemaster33
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Got one

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I ended up finding a GPS locally off craigs list. It already had all the local lakes on it and the owner even took me out and showed me how it worked. I bought it and all the toys with it for $100.
Now I can mark all those crappie beds I find and keep the wife catching fish.
Old 11-04-09, 07:33 PM   #11
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I ran into Edwin Evers doing a seminar at my local Bass Pro. He is the best when it comes to GPS electronics. He is one of the first guys to really understand what applications best fit the use of GPS. I later wrote him from his web site at http://edwinevers.com/index.php?opti...ntact&Itemid=4

He answered me in great detail taking into consideration where, how, etc I fish and gave me some great pointers. As you will see by my other post, I am now 100% reliant on maps and electronics. I have always had some sort of fish finder etc but never really knew how to use them. Write him he’s a pro I bet he can help. He is a 100% class act. There should be more like him.

That’s a best case scenario!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racemaster33 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I ended up finding a GPS locally off craigs list. It already had all the local lakes on it and the owner even took me out and showed me how it worked. I bought it and all the toys with it for $100.
Now I can mark all those crappie beds I find and keep the wife catching fish.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.