Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-10, 01:01 AM   #1
baitcaster16
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Live well?

I have a 14' jon boat that im puttin a casting deck,livewell and back deck. but i want to put the live well in the middle seat so i can save room for storage. i was going to use a cooler but i would have to cut it down to 11" to sit flush with the casting deck. if any of yall have any ideas let me know thanks guys
baitcaster16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 05:35 AM   #2
MeanMouth
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitcaster16 View Post
I have a 14' jon boat that im puttin a casting deck,livewell and back deck. but i want to put the live well in the middle seat so i can save room for storage. i was going to use a cooler but i would have to cut it down to 11" to sit flush with the casting deck. if any of yall have any ideas let me know thanks guys
To be honest, I think a durable cooler would be the best route. Measure and cut the walls down to fit your application. With a little experimentation, I'm sure you could put together something worth your time.

Unless you want to spend money on pre-manufactured livewells from Cabelas or fishmatepro
http://www.fishmatepro.com/Livewells.php
MeanMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 08:50 AM   #3
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

May I ask why you want a livewell in your Jon boat? Are you going to use it in a tournament or you using it for baitfish? I am pretty sure that in most states it is illegal to use your livewell unless you are in a tournament or if you have a permit to stock a pond.
Old 02-07-10, 11:11 AM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Not really ,one doesnt want the fish to die and not be edible because of.
Livewells are commonly used,baitwells as well.
And they make an after mrkt live well that will straddle the seat in your rig,no need to cut anything.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 01:14 PM   #5
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
May I ask why you want a livewell in your Jon boat? Are you going to use it in a tournament or you using it for baitfish? I am pretty sure that in most states it is illegal to use your livewell unless you are in a tournament or if you have a permit to stock a pond.
That can't be accurate - tournament fishing does not provide exemptions from any State fish and game or DEC LAWS. I can't see how using a live well could be against any laws other than the obvious - e.g. get caught with a livewell full of illegal fish (too small, too many) than yer in a heap a trouble now boy.
Old 02-07-10, 01:24 PM   #6
lilmule

Your correct its not an illegal act to use a livewell,invented for keeping fish alive,not just to t fish with.Like you said as long as within the regs no short fish-endangered fish etc.
If one tossed 15 crappie to the bottom of the boat and was out for several hrs on a warm day,I sure wouldnt want to clean them,for the use of consuming them.
But tournaments do get exemptions some times in waters on size limits and or species sometimes like on a catch and release lake,that normally does not permit the putting of one in a live well,that is the only place I can think of where it would be an illegal act normally to place a fish in a live well.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-07-10 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-07-10, 02:42 PM   #7
flfireman

they make a few that will fit jon boats that work well. I found a fresh water storage tank that was plumbed and made my own. The tank was longer and flatter, I built a base to lift it up to my casting deck and then sealed it with a lid. worked great, held a bunch of fish.
Old 02-07-10, 05:16 PM   #8
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

These are pictures of the ongoing modifications I have been doing on my boat, that are what you are talking about. Instead of a cooler, I used a rubbermade container cause it would be less messy to cut off at the right height. I am surrounding the rubbermade with 2" closed cell foam so in the end it will be just as good at keeping the temps down as a real cooler. The aluminum is bolted to a frame made from 1x2s and covers over the container, with a hatch made by riviting an aluminum lip underneath for the lid to sit on. I am going to get a proper pump in a few weeks, wire that in, with a 4 foot length of hose that will be long enough to stick over the side of the boat when I want to drain the livewell, and enough wire play somehow to but the aeriater in the lake and suck water in if I need to on the lake...(hope I explained that well, and hope anything, even my bad craftsmanship, can give you a spark of an idea somewhere)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0704.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	4686

Name:	IMG_0705.gif
Views:	351
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	4687

Name:	IMG_0707.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	4688
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 09:01 PM   #9
baitcaster16
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys. And yes I'm converting my Jon boat for tournaments that start this month. But if I put a cooler or rubermaid container in the middle seat it won't be big enough to hold 5 good size bass but I'm trying to go the cheapest way out.
Old 02-07-10, 09:30 PM   #10
WTL

Yeah, I removed all the bench seats where the decks were to get working room for the compartments.
Old 02-07-10, 09:49 PM   #11
baitcaster16
BassFishin.Com Member

How do I remove my middle bench seat and still keep water out if the boat? Because there are bolts holding it in under the water line.
Old 02-07-10, 10:04 PM   #12
WTL

Well you keep a bucket on hand and bail after every third cast.

The holes can be closed up either by reriveting them or filling them with a product, there are several out there that will work...even JB weld or 3M 5200.

One thing you have to consider is the bench seats offer structural support, sometimes boats can handle the seat being taken out, but sometimes they have more of a tendency for the hull to flex if you power the boat with a big outboard. In the case of my boat, I use the deck to tie each side of the boat there so its as if it still has its bench seats.
Old 02-08-10, 10:12 PM   #13
baitcaster16
BassFishin.Com Member

How long will the jb weld hold? And if I am gonna take the seat out I'll build a frame and put support back in it. And do you think if I welded plates on top if the holes it would longer than jb weld?
Old 02-09-10, 03:36 AM   #14
WTL

Just how many holes are we talking here and how low? I feel kinda uncomfortable without seeing pictures of what we are talking about, but in this use JB weld might hold indefinitely. The holes should be no larger than a the size of a pencil eraser, right? If you can weld aluminum though, if you have access to that, then that is better. Let me recommend the site tinboats.net also, I hope Kev doesn't mind, since they specialize on this topic a bit more...you could probably get a ton more ideas and info there.
Old 02-09-10, 07:59 AM   #15
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

Before u finish u should think about having the bottom under ur deck sprayfoamed not to expensive and it should help make up the difference of the weight added.
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 10:18 PM   #16
baitcaster16
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't think I wanna take the seat out but I'm just gonna put a large cooler in the middle seat. I think that's gonna be the best way to do it?
Old 02-11-10, 01:35 PM   #17
lilmule

They make livewell coolers just to put in place of that seat like on a striper boat,can actually use as a seat as well.
While they make smaller ones the great lakes brand is what comes to mind its 39 in x 20 tall 72 qts and had a seat on it,not cheap cost about 350 delivered but
smaller versions can be had for less,even a custom made one .a 24 x12 x12 runs under 200 bucks custom livewells 651 797-2719

Last edited by lilmule; 02-11-10 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 06:43 PM   #18
bamabassman

Wtl, now that looks a LOT better man.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.