Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-11, 07:47 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default eBay: What is wrong with people?

I don't like it when people overcharge for shipping to make a few extra bucks. But this guy has moved past annoying and into ridiculous.

BB
Old 10-13-11, 08:33 AM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Maybe Laurah doesn't have much experience shipping rods hahahaha. That is ridiculous though. It has cost me up to $35 with UPS with insurance, but that is a little overboard.
Old 10-13-11, 09:13 AM   #3
lilmule

Agree overboard,but some is caused by ebay fees as well,shipping fee isnt charged,selling fee is,so a low ball starting place or bid can be had,and shipping fee is to insure what seller wants overall,regardless of actual cost to ship.
A buy it now with free shipping for 175 would have cost them more $.Just insures the min they wanted and may get more than that.
Compare it to the other cheapest rod just like it or close that one is 162 bid so far with 17.50 shipping,so currently its cheaper with 75 shipping and they are not a real cheap rod new.
If you bid on it make sure to get insurance I hate getting a rod from a seller relatively new with a broken tip and no returns.That 175 experience in ebay is for both buying and selling and may not have much experience in shipping rods.Paypal is decent insurance yet prefer more,have had a fair share sent to me in a cardboard box or several boxes taped together to lengthen with inadequate packing.Also have seen fork lift tracks across them as well as one really nice packed special order hand made rod that had been broken.PVC is the best with bubble wrap,my opinion.

Last edited by lilmule; 10-13-11 at 09:32 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 09:50 AM   #4
nofearengineer

I don't concern myself with the price breakdown...just the total price. I think lilmule is right about the guy trying to save himself 5-10 bucks on ebay fees.
Old 10-13-11, 12:21 PM   #5
bassboogieman

You can always "ding" the seller, concering his shipping practice when you complete the feedback............... Should you buy, of course.

I am going to do something EXCEEDING RARE and agree with NFE, total price is what I concern myself with. If I save a few bucks over retail, I really don't care what the breakdown of fees may be.

On ebay, I try to avoid those items that are auction bid, and go with buy it now, a lot of those have free or reasonalbe shipping and you don't have to wait and deal with snipers.

Most Steez rods are going between $400 - $500 bucks, so if you get it for $300 why concern yourself that $75 bucks of that is for shipping?
NOW, me? I would consider something a bit more reasonable (not that I haven't spent $400 on a rod) in a ML rod, if I bought one at all (currently I don't have anything that light). A reasonable alternative? http://www.ebay.com/itm/KISTLER-MAGN...item5d2f1bffd6 AND SHIPPING IS ONLY $18.00.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-13-11 at 12:31 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 08:16 PM   #6
Bassboss

Yeah... that's outrageous!!
Old 10-13-11, 09:25 PM   #7
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ya thats ridiculous.

Where do you guys get a tube to ship a rod? Ive never seen one at fedex, ups, or usps. Im just wondering, thinking about selling a rod and would like to locate the packaging before I list it.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 10:25 PM   #8
MississippiBoy

A section of PVC pipe the proper length and some end caps oughta do it....
Old 10-14-11, 02:53 PM   #9
PAfisher76
BassFishin.Com Member

That is insane, but they do have a high percentage of positive feedback.
PAfisher76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 02:59 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Agree overboard,but some is caused by ebay fees as well,shipping fee isnt charged,selling fee is,so a low ball starting place or bid can be had,and shipping fee is to insure what seller wants overall,regardless of actual cost to ship.
A buy it now with free shipping for 175 would have cost them more $.Just insures the min they wanted and may get more than that.
Compare it to the other cheapest rod just like it or close that one is 162 bid so far with 17.50 shipping,so currently its cheaper with 75 shipping and they are not a real cheap rod new.
If you bid on it make sure to get insurance I hate getting a rod from a seller relatively new with a broken tip and no returns.That 175 experience in ebay is for both buying and selling and may not have much experience in shipping rods.Paypal is decent insurance yet prefer more,have had a fair share sent to me in a cardboard box or several boxes taped together to lengthen with inadequate packing.Also have seen fork lift tracks across them as well as one really nice packed special order hand made rod that had been broken.PVC is the best with bubble wrap,my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I don't concern myself with the price breakdown...just the total price. I think lilmule is right about the guy trying to save himself 5-10 bucks on ebay fees.
I guess I never thought about that, but it makes sense. I usually do include the shipping in my total when deciding whether or not to buy a rod. I'd be interested to see if this goes about $50 or so cheaper because of that.

BB
Old 10-14-11, 03:01 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
You can always "ding" the seller, concering his shipping practice when you complete the feedback............... Should you buy, of course.

I am going to do something EXCEEDING RARE and agree with NFE, total price is what I concern myself with. If I save a few bucks over retail, I really don't care what the breakdown of fees may be.

On ebay, I try to avoid those items that are auction bid, and go with buy it now, a lot of those have free or reasonalbe shipping and you don't have to wait and deal with snipers.

Most Steez rods are going between $400 - $500 bucks, so if you get it for $300 why concern yourself that $75 bucks of that is for shipping?
NOW, me? I would consider something a bit more reasonable (not that I haven't spent $400 on a rod) in a ML rod, if I bought one at all (currently I don't have anything that light). A reasonable alternative? http://www.ebay.com/itm/KISTLER-MAGN...item5d2f1bffd6 AND SHIPPING IS ONLY $18.00.
Bruce, I'm not actually looking at a Steez rod, but I browse all sorts of stuff I'm not looking to buy in case I find a deal too good to pass up (like my $105 for a 2010 Revo STX). And don't be ridiculous, you know I wouldn't buy a Kistler!

BB
Old 10-14-11, 04:24 PM   #12
lilmule

I once not long ago bought a tro4 27 p prop looked like new tried once so used,for 35 bucks and 85 shipping,no one else even bid on it,also had a 10 off coupon from paypal.
Sometimes that steep shipping turns some bidders off.Overall price same prop elsewhere was 200 plus shipping at cost.Sold it after using two years for more than what i paid for it.
Those ratings are for both buying and selling,so only the selling part is whats important.
Common ploy for those wishing to deceive is make some buys giving them feedback,and qualifying them for first free sales( five items),so pays to read that feedback.
Insurance pays
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 05:27 PM   #13
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

its not insane. you potentially wont pay any more for it,you just bid less and factor it in. seller only has to pay percentage on sale price. lots of people do this
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 06:16 PM   #14
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
its not insane. you potentially wont pay any more for it,you just bid less and factor it in. seller only has to pay percentage on sale price. lots of people do this

X2, as stated before, the only thing that matters is the total price.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.