Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-30-08, 06:58 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Fluorocarbon line question on castability

This is the first year I have used flourocarbon line. It is the BPS XPS flourocarbon. My question is whether or not flourocarbon line takes getting used to when casting it? I've been using casting reels for nearly 30 years and have little trouble with backlash problems. However, I am having a hard time casting this flourocarbon without getting some degree of backlash. Sometimes a good birds nest. This despite the fact that I have adjusted the reel to control the backlash. I can cast all day with my monos, and braid, but when I cast this flourocarbon, it's backlash city.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 11:05 AM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

This is why I pitched the fluoro on my worm rod and went back to braid. Fluoro has a lot more memory than other lines and I've found it does backlash a bit more often and a bit worse. Also fluoro is not as impact resistant which means when you get a backlash, it weakens the line considerably. I saw something on TV and the guy said when fishing a tournament, if he gets a backlash with fluoro he won't use the rod the rest of the day and respool it before the next day's compitition.

BB
Old 06-30-08, 11:29 AM   #3
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Fluoro is stiffer than mono, no wonder why you experience backlash trubble, BPS XPS Fluorocarbon is actually Toray Super Hard Strong ( itīs manufactured for BPS by Toray ) so itīs no riddle why itīs so hard, like nylon not all nylon lines behave the same, in this case it would be the equivalent of you fishing with something like Trilene XT.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 01:57 PM   #4
Lilmoosecountry

The only place i see it's real use is as leader materiel for the braid boy's!!!!
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 03:26 PM   #5
islandbass

Don't judge all fc lines in the same light. Like mono and other lines, they are not equal.

As Raul pointed out the BPS FC line is a hard and stiff line. Invizx is 180 deg. in the opposite direction and is a lot more supple and thus more manageable. You'll think you're casting trilene xl.
Old 06-30-08, 05:52 PM   #6
links_man2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Used BPS XPS 15# with no problems for over a year. Now use Vicious 15# and 20#, again with no problems. Key is to use something like KVD Line & Lure. I use it on all my Fluoro and Mono/Copoly lines. Give them a couple of squirts before loading rigs in the boat. Even the 20# Vicious Fluoro is very manageable. I tried 1 spool of 20# Invizx before I found the KVD Line & Lure and it was unusable. Never tried the Invizx with Line & Lure because it cost about 1.4x BPS XPS and Vicious.
Old 06-30-08, 06:32 PM   #7
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
This is the first year I have used flourocarbon line. It is the BPS XPS flourocarbon. My question is whether or not flourocarbon line takes getting used to when casting it? I've been using casting reels for nearly 30 years and have little trouble with backlash problems. However, I am having a hard time casting this flourocarbon without getting some degree of backlash. Sometimes a good birds nest. This despite the fact that I have adjusted the reel to control the backlash. I can cast all day with my monos, and braid, but when I cast this flourocarbon, it's backlash city.
kd,
My sentiments exactly. I've been using baitcasting reels even longer and I can't seem to get along with fluoro either. I tried Seaguar and did not like it.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 06:38 PM   #8
keithdog

I started out with the BPS FC line because it was less expensive and I was at BPS at the time, so thought why not try this first. But your right. it's very stiff and probably the worst memory I've ever seen in a line. Invizx sounds interresting. I have heard nothing but praise for the new Trilene 100% Flourocarbon line too. So I might try one of those. Or perhaps, go with something like Trilene MAX which is a mono line, but is supposed to have the qualities of both XL and XT. If I go with the flourocarbon line again, I'll definately try the line conditioner from KVD. The main use for this rod will be flipping in both open water and heavy cover and think weeds. Don't really want to use braid on this particular combo. I have braid on another combo for when I think I want that.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 10:16 PM   #9
Fishbear

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

If you are set on flourocarbon, try YoZuri Hybrid Ultrasoft.... good line, easy casting, and its breaking point is usually about 6 lbs higher than its rating.

The other thing is to use line conditioner with Flourocarbon... takes the memory out of it. Well sort of.
Old 06-30-08, 10:26 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Just remeber, when using fluoro, the abrasion resistance depends greatly on how stiff the line is. BPS fluoro or Toray Super hard will be much more abrasion resistant than say Trilene 100% or P-Line Fluoro, since they the latter two are softer and more supple.

BB
Old 06-30-08, 11:04 PM   #11
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Keith,

I gave the Trilene 100% fluorocarbon a try and really disliked it. I tried the 8-pound on a Shakey Head rod ans it came in the small 3 or 4" spool, instead of the 5 or 6", the normal spool size. I think that, and the fact that it was all dusty and old looking really deformed the line. It was truly the worst fluorocarbon I've used yet.
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 11:27 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Most spools are 4.5" Unless you buy the big ones with 1000 or so yards.

I'd like to try vicious fluor mostly because of its inexpensiveness. Although I would like to give Trilene Fluoro a try. As for leader material, stren 100% all the way.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.