Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-30-08, 08:38 PM   #1
CSS2011
BassFishin.Com Member

Default HELP with the baitcaster!!

About a month ago i purchased the bps johnny morris bait casting reel ive used it alot with no problems,, until i took it to bayview ohio and fished off the pear. In the middle of my trip i wasnt paying attention to wear i was casting and snagged the bush behind me and badly backlashed it and made my self look like an idoit ..... well any way i respooled it and every thing i spooled how i should and it seems to not be casting as far as it was even as i turned the brakes and the nob by the drag all the way down any help or ideas on what you guys think i did i would really appreciate it thanks...
CSS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 08:49 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

A couple questions;

Same line brand and size as before? Did you fill the spool up as much as before (within 1/8"th inch from the edge of the spool is optimum)?

I have a Johnny Morris and its a great reel. I found that the centrifugal brakes on mine made a big difference, depending on how you set them - I also think some of the newer ones have mag brakes too, you might see if you somehow changed that setting.
Old 07-30-08, 08:49 PM   #3
Bmuskin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It is hard to cast while on fruit for the 1st thing. Apples or worse to stand on than pears though.
2nd not all line is the same and you can verwhelm a baitcaster. Use the diameter it calls for or is rated at. Limp line with little or no memory.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 09:05 PM   #4
CSS2011
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
A couple questions;

Same line brand and size as before? Did you fill the spool up as much as before (within 1/8"th inch from the edge of the spool is optimum)?

I have a Johnny Morris and its a great reel. I found that the centrifugal brakes on mine made a big difference, depending on how you set them - I also think some of the newer ones have mag brakes too, you might see if you somehow changed that setting.
oHH and my bad pier I used the same line. And spooled it to the right spot, i am using berkley 12lbs big game by trilene on my reels and have no problem with it . rrw4258 said i should use it the first time i went fishing with him. i may have changed something idunno. if i cant figure out what i did .. Maby ill run it over to his place and see what he says..
Old 07-30-08, 09:07 PM   #5
CSS2011
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the help guys appreciate it
Old 07-30-08, 09:14 PM   #6
WTL

Have you ever oiled a reel before? I would break it down, clean and oil it, set the brakes a little lighter - its got 6 centrifugal brakes in there, they are little white plastic bushings that you click on by pulling out or click off by pushing in. RRW can prolly help you.

Big game 12 is fine, that aint the problem.
Old 07-30-08, 09:47 PM   #7
CSS2011
BassFishin.Com Member

Yes ive done it to my other reels but a buddy of mine did it to make sure it was done right Thanks though maby it just needs it again its been over amonth and has been heavily used( i consider 2-3 times fishing a week alot for me beacuse of my work schedule) but i dont think it needs it that quickly again does it..IDK ive only use bait casters for two years so i got alot to learn

Last edited by CSS2011; 07-30-08 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-31-08, 08:21 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I clean mine during Cabin Fever season, or if I have a problem with it.

I have a Johnny Morris reel too, and I love the dual brakes. I hav enever had this problem with mine before though.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.