Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-28-08, 03:01 PM   #1
veradoman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fishin My first bass tournament comin up on aug 7th lake of the wood,Ontario Anmy hel

Any help would be great fishin largemouth and smallmouth ,>im havin a hard time as im a die hard walleye tournament angler
veradoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 04:18 PM   #2
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Will you be a boater or non-boater. Is it a team tournament or will you be fishing alone? Will you be operating the trolling motor and making the decisions or will you be fishing from the back of the boat? What is the format? Can you weigh in a limit of 5 or just one big fish or something different? How long is the tournament? Is there a slot limit on the largemouth or the small mouth? The strategy is quite different for each of these scenarios.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 04:48 PM   #3
veradoman
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Will you be a boater or non-boater. Is it a team tournament or will you be fishing alone? Will you be operating the trolling motor and making the decisions or will you be fishing from the back of the boat? What is the format? Can you weigh in a limit of 5 or just one big fish or something different? How long is the tournament? Is there a slot limit on the largemouth or the small mouth? The strategy is quite different for each of these scenarios.
It is a two man team tournament running a 620 ranger with bowmount and a 1197 humminbird.No slot limit 5 fish over 12 inches.3day tournament and i will be makin all descisions
Old 07-28-08, 05:30 PM   #4
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Keep in mind what I'm telling you is based mainly on lakes in Oklahoma and Texas.
This time of year around here I'm "on my horse" early trying to capitalize on the morning bite. usually in the Summer, the fish are agressive for the first 2 or three hours after daylight and I want to show my bait to as many feeding fish as possible, so I've got the TM on high chunking a topwater or spinnerbait usually until I catch a fish or two then I slow down a little until I've saturated the area and then I'm off again covering water. I like to fish rip rap, points and feeding flats early when the fish might be roaming around looking for breakfast. Then, when I think the early feeding period is over, I grab a jig and pig or a soft plastic and slow down and fish methodically pitching to targets such as brush piles, boat houses, weed beds, lay downs, anywhere I think a bass is likely to spend the day. This is largemouth fishing mind you. Which brings me to another point. You've got to decide whether to target largemouth, smallmouth or a little of both. Traditionally, LM are bigger but may not be as abundant in your area.

A good combination for a buddy tournament is for the guy in the front to be chunking and winding something like a spinnerbait or a buzzbait or a crankbait and the guy in the back fishing some kind of down bait like a jig or a T-rigged plastic but if the bite is on jigs for example, you wouldn't want to do that. You might want to use a different jig than your partner maybe and give the fish a different look.

It's important to have a game plan but be flexible enough to adjust on the water because, as you know, every day is different. Have a backup plan as to where you're going to head to after the blast off because you may get outrun to your spot or you may draw a bad number.

As close as you are to the tournament date, I wouldn't go in an area and stick a bunch of fish. If I pre-fished, I'd mainly look around, check my depth finder check the water temp and fish just enough to know if the fish are there or not and find out what they'd hit.

Just a few random thoughts. I could go on and on but I'll let someone else add their two cents. hopefully when you get to the end of this thread you'll have a game plan. Good luck. Let us know how you did.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 05:45 PM   #5
veradoman
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Keep in mind what I'm telling you is based mainly on lakes in Oklahoma and Texas.
This time of year around here I'm "on my horse" early trying to capitalize on the morning bite. usually in the Summer, the fish are agressive for the first 2 or three hours after daylight and I want to show my bait to as many feeding fish as possible, so I've got the TM on high chunking a topwater or spinnerbait usually until I catch a fish or two then I slow down a little until I've saturated the area and then I'm off again covering water. I like to fish rip rap, points and feeding flats early when the fish might be roaming around looking for breakfast. Then, when I think the early feeding period is over, I grab a jig and pig or a soft plastic and slow down and fish methodically pitching to targets such as brush piles, boat houses, weed beds, lay downs, anywhere I think a bass is likely to spend the day. This is largemouth fishing mind you. Which brings me to another point. You've got to decide whether to target largemouth, smallmouth or a little of both. Traditionally, LM are bigger but may not be as abundant in your area.

A good combination for a buddy tournament is for the guy in the front to be chunking and winding something like a spinnerbait or a buzzbait or a crankbait and the guy in the back fishing some kind of down bait like a jig or a T-rigged plastic but if the bite is on jigs for example, you wouldn't want to do that. You might want to use a different jig than your partner maybe and give the fish a different look.

It's important to have a game plan but be flexible enough to adjust on the water because, as you know, every day is different. Have a backup plan as to where you're going to head to after the blast off because you may get outrun to your spot or you may draw a bad number.

As close as you are to the tournament date, I wouldn't go in an area and stick a bunch of fish. If I pre-fished, I'd mainly look around, check my depth finder check the water temp and fish just enough to know if the fish are there or not and find out what they'd hit.

Just a few random thoughts. I could go on and on but I'll let someone else add their two cents. hopefully when you get to the end of this thread you'll have a game plan. Good luck. Let us know how you did.
Wow now i have to think even more lol.U want to fish it with me lol.Lots of deep cold lakes with small apparently eating shad or ciscos and with shallower lakes also.I appreciate u takin the time on this thank u very much Jigger man
Old 07-29-08, 11:06 AM   #6
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

As a wisconsin boy i have made more than my fare share accross the border. I love motor oil tube jigs on that body of water in deep submerged vegetation.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 11:19 AM   #7
veradoman
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
As a wisconsin boy i have made more than my fare share accross the border. I love motor oil tube jigs on that body of water in deep submerged vegetation.
Hey little moose how deep of water are u talkin ?What areas did u fish and at what time of the year im prying lol. Thanx
Old 07-29-08, 04:17 PM   #8
Lilmoosecountry

I have a lake map at home somewhere of some honey holes that i marked. But have to admit it's been more than 5 yrs since i hit that body of water. So no promises. But i find it i'll get back with yeah by friday. But one spot that i'm thinking about. You'll be pulling fish out of 20 feet of water.
Old 07-31-08, 09:35 AM   #9
veradoman
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
I have a lake map at home somewhere of some honey holes that i marked. But have to admit it's been more than 5 yrs since i hit that body of water. So no promises. But i find it i'll get back with yeah by friday. But one spot that i'm thinking about. You'll be pulling fish out of 20 feet of water.
Did u find your maps lol,wondering how u are makin out
Old 07-31-08, 10:35 AM   #10
Lilmoosecountry

No i can't!!! here are some suggestions. Do you have a fish finder. Concentrate on deep ledges & channels & other deep structures in the middle of the lake. Also look at submerged vegetation. Motor Oil Tube jigs & White or Chartruse led spoons. This will bring the smallies up!!!
Old 07-31-08, 10:43 AM   #11
Lilmoosecountry

Hope you do good let us know!!!

Last edited by Lilmoosecountry; 07-31-08 at 03:04 PM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.