Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-26-08, 12:26 PM   #1
Fishnfool4evr
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trolling motor steering cables

Hey all, can someone offer any advice on installing steering cables on a minn-kota trolling motor, i just ordered a left and right cable and was wondering if i would be able to install it myself or will have to have it done by a dealer. has anyone ever installed there own, it is a 70lb thrust bow mount foot controlled motor, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance

and remember to
Old 07-27-08, 08:21 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You can do it. All you gotta do is when tearing down lay the parts in the order you take em off and just reverse when putting back together. Make careful adjustements when done on the cables. Actually its pretty straightforward.
Old 08-01-08, 06:15 PM   #3
Fishnfool4evr
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Laser, but wouldn't you know it, i ordered a left and right cable and was going to try and go ahead and change both of them, and when i had everything apart, and i mean everything, top of motor and the base of the pedal, i just happened to see a tension screw on the front of the base, of course i couldn't see it prior to removing the base because it is a sunken pedal, i'm sure you know what i mean, it set in a pocket in the deck so it sets flush with the floor. I adjusted the screw and tightened up the cable, but at least now if i happen to break one, I'm prepaired. and you are right, it looks like it won't be hard at all and i can probibly do it on the water if i have to. thanx again for the advice tho
Old 08-01-08, 11:01 PM   #4
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Had the same problem. Fortunately I found the owners manual before I ordered anything.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.