Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-08, 10:27 AM   #1
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Ardent flipping reel!!!

My boys at Ardent have done it again. I plan on getting this reel. I will give my honest & fair opinion. http://tackletour.com/reviewicast08ardent.html
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 11:36 AM   #2
MIbasser

Looks great. Let us know how it works.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 01:29 PM   #3
Lilmoosecountry

Talked to my personal contact over at Ardent. Looks like Mid Aug. of this year. Looks like i will test the culling system first. Then i will test the reel once one can be found. But either way Ardent is an awesome American company. I take great pride in using goods made by americans. Even though i am biased to Ardent. Trust me as a former pro in the Red Man. I will be completly honest in my testing. My aproach in testing will be from the perspective of a tournament fishermen. It will have to stand up to the brutal testing of fishing the Missouri River. I will toss baits into stuff the average fishermen does'nt even see at the lake. Just to see what kind of abuse it will really take.

Last edited by Lilmoosecountry; 07-22-08 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-22-08, 04:27 PM   #4
Fishnngolfn

It looks sweet but I am sure it will be way out of my price range.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 11:08 PM   #5
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

Looks good.......wonder if you could put a heavier line on it ?

I never flip with line under 30 pound test.

I used 20 a few times many years ago when I first started flipping and broke off too many times.
Old 07-22-08, 11:49 PM   #6
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Conceptually that is interesting.

My question is, what if one got a backlash deep down with that reel. And yes, I know backlashes from pitching are rare, but lets just say it happened..somehow. Would it not be hard to pick it out?
Old 07-23-08, 06:52 AM   #7
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Conceptually that is interesting.

My question is, what if one got a backlash deep down with that reel. And yes, I know backlashes from pitching are rare, but lets just say it happened..somehow. Would it not be hard to pick it out?
The deep but narrow spool design will make it VERY hard to acquire a backlash (as for a frontlash, I cannot say.) The effective spool diameter will reduce very rapidly on the cast...errr...flip...uhhh...pitch, thus reducing the likelihood of overruns. So, if you DO get a backlash with one keep it a secret here or you'll be labeled as a total doofus. You know how cruel this forum can be!
BTW, this reel in nothing particularly new. A few years ago, the bassin' Jeane family of Loozianny introduced an almost identical reel labeled, to no one's surprise, "The Jeane Reel"...Catchy, huh? The same narrow spool concept, etc.
I actually tried to order one but they were on the market for only a brief time so I was unsuccessful. Perhaps that was fortuitous in that I can flip/pitch just dandily with my trusty Castaic or, for that matter, ANY of my reels.
Nice reel, but if the purchase of such a limited-application reel means you short yourself somewhere else, then I wouldn't spend the bux. (Unless you have unlimited funds, like some guy here called "Fuzz Bling"...or somethin' lak dat.)

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-08, 09:20 AM   #8
Captmikestarrett

Interesting design..

If you used braid without a level wind it would dig into the spool on each snag or fish. So braid would not work with that design.. But it would work with mono just fine..

Also thumbing the spool is easy with that design.

Capt Mike
Old 07-23-08, 09:23 AM   #9
3dkicker

$149.99 for the reel. $39.99 for the culling system. Unless you got someone working on the inside! Interesting idea for the reel, although as stated above it isn't the first time it's been tried. What was once old is new again.
Old 07-23-08, 12:12 PM   #10
Lilmoosecountry

I do !!! Whata i look like BUZZWING!!! My first test will be the culling system. That's what is being sent first.

Last edited by Lilmoosecountry; 07-23-08 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 12:14 PM   #11
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
Interesting design..

If you used braid without a level wind it would dig into the spool on each snag or fish. So braid would not work with that design.. But it would work with mono just fine..

Capt Mike
Your concerns are dually noted but my old shimano brushbuster never had that problem.
Old 08-05-08, 02:42 PM   #12
Fishnngolfn

Just out of curiousity, where can you buy one of these?

Old 08-05-08, 04:57 PM   #13
Lilmoosecountry

http://www.ardentoutdoors.com/default.asp?file=dealer This will help you find a dealer near you. The Ardent reel won't be ready forsale till the middle of Aug. So we need to slow down alittle. It's a reel for there 2009 line up. So the fact were going to get it all this year. Speaks to the dedication that Ardent has for the public.
Old 08-05-08, 05:08 PM   #14
Fishnngolfn

Thanks. The only dealer that they are showing near the Birmingham area is Mark's Outdoors. I don't like them because they are overpriced and the sales people there will try to sell you junk if you are not sure what you are looking for.

During one of their tent "sales", I stopped by and told the sales guy that I was looking for a small inexpensive spinning reel for tight bank fishing. He showed me a 5' light spinning reel on "sale" for $79.99. He said it was tough and practically indestructable. First thing wrong was the reel was wobbly even after he tightened it as tight as he could. He made some kind of an excuse. I wasn't listening anyway. He then began to whip it around a bit to show me the flex and action. He hit the pole of the tent outside and the rod broke. He began to explain something but I walked away from him mid-sentence. I didn't buy anything.
Old 08-06-08, 03:04 AM   #15
Lancer6

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
Just out of curiousity, where can you buy one of these?

The front of that thing looks like a pizzed-awf Halloween pumpkin.
Jes' sayin'.

L6
Old 08-06-08, 07:25 AM   #16
WTL

Quote:
The deep but narrow spool design will make it VERY hard to acquire a backlash (as for a frontlash, I cannot say.) The effective spool diameter will reduce very rapidly on the cast...errr...flip...uhhh...pitch, thus reducing the likelihood of overruns. So, if you DO get a backlash with one keep it a secret here or you'll be labeled as a total doofus.
Thats a good point lance, I didn't consider that.

For some reason, I just havent taken a liking to Ardent. Maybe I am a snob. Maybe I am resistent to change. For years I hated low profile reels too.
Old 08-06-08, 08:57 AM   #17
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
Thanks. The only dealer that they are showing near the Birmingham area is Mark's Outdoors. I don't like them because they are overpriced and the sales people there will try to sell you junk if you are not sure what you are looking for.

During one of their tent "sales", I stopped by and told the sales guy that I was looking for a small inexpensive spinning reel for tight bank fishing. He showed me a 5' light spinning reel on "sale" for $79.99. He said it was tough and practically indestructable. First thing wrong was the reel was wobbly even after he tightened it as tight as he could. He made some kind of an excuse. I wasn't listening anyway. He then began to whip it around a bit to show me the flex and action. He hit the pole of the tent outside and the rod broke. He began to explain something but I walked away from him mid-sentence. I didn't buy anything.
I am sure any of dealers listed would ship it to you. If you do not like the local dealer.
Old 08-06-08, 08:59 AM   #18
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
The front of that thing looks like a pizzed-awf Halloween pumpkin.
Jes' sayin'.

L6
So are you looking for a reel. Or a Somthing else.
Old 08-06-08, 10:11 AM   #19
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
Interesting design..

Capt Mike

one thing your goin to have to buy with this reel is the "reel threader" i can for see a major pain in the butt. trying to see the hole to put line thru with a full spool would be just that..

i flip with a diawa and still get -imitates lancer6-"professional over runs"

zooker
Old 08-06-08, 01:00 PM   #20
Lilmoosecountry

Zook i made your suggestion with my contact over at aArdent. I'll get back with you after i here there response. It sounds like a reasonable request.
Old 08-07-08, 07:16 AM   #21
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
So are you looking for a reel. Or a Somthing else.
Well, if I can find a high-quality reel I can put a candle in and hang on my balcony at Halloween, I might be tempted
I doubt I'll ever find a pumpkin with several ball bearings, weighs less than 7 ozzies, and has cast control. Still, what with all the genetic meddling in the agricultural world, one never knows. God knows what the boys at Texiz Aand/orM might come up with. They DID create a fine onion (A+ for that) and a heatless jalapeno (F-!)
Gig 'em!

Lancer6

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.