Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-08, 11:35 AM   #1
robertmee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Combo finder/gps for less than $200...possible?

In finishing out my Glasstream refurbishment, I'm minus a fishfinder and/or GPS at the helm. I've done some reading and with the myriad of used models, I'm having a hard time keeping up with a good setup that won't break the bank. In the used market, is there a decent finder/gps combo in the $150 to $200 range? At this price I expect B&W of course. I thought about maybe just getting an inexpensive finder and a Garmin etrex Legend, but I'd prefer an all-n-one if possible.

Any suggestions on units that I should be targeting in this price range? I did do a search for gps/finder, but many of the threads are 2 to 3 years old and the info no longer relevant.

Thanks!
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 01:33 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Rob, I wish you the best of luck for that price. You might find something used on ebay that will be a couple of years old. I have an LMS-520 and love it and would be lost (many times) without it. I know that Eagle makes a combo for around $360. Hope this helps out, a little.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 03:45 PM   #3
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Rob, I wish you the best of luck for that price. You might find something used on ebay that will be a couple of years old. I have an LMS-520 and love it and would be lost (many times) without it. I know that Eagle makes a combo for around $360. Hope this helps out, a little.
Thanks....I fully expect to go the used route, but am unsure of which models to target as there are so many.
Old 08-27-08, 08:39 AM   #4
robertmee

How about the Eagle Cuda 250? Anyone have any experience with this unit? Combo Sonar/GPS for less than $200 new. The CONS I see are small screen size and lack of memory card. The PROs are price obviously, and Eagle's rep.

I'm wondering if I should move my Eagle FishMark 480 to the Console and just buy an Etrex Legend, and put a standard inexpensive sonar on the bow. Or leave the FishMark on the bow, and get something like the Eagle Cuda. For you pros out there (pros at fishfinding I mean), which is more crucial....The bow mounted sonar or the console?
Old 08-27-08, 10:17 AM   #5
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

The console mounted is great for finding the structure that you want to fish and navigation, however, I feel that the trolling motor mounted unit is the best for finding the fish and staying on your fish, once the structure is located.

If I could only have one...it would have to be console mounted (unless it was shallow water that I fish regularly) with two transducers and capable of turning toward the front of the boat.

Buddy
Old 08-27-08, 11:08 AM   #6
robertmee

Thanks for the thoughts, Buddy....

Is that something that can be done to any rig? Is there such thing as a transducer switch without having to unhook/rehook cables?

Also, from no experience in this area, when you're standing/sitting on the front casting deck, operating the trolling motor, do you spend much time looking at the sonar?
Old 08-28-08, 10:02 AM   #7
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

Many years ago I had this set-up, but didn't have a switch. I think, not sure, I have seen a switch to go back and fourth.

The time spent watching the screen depends on the situation. If you need to stay on a break or something, yes. Most of the time I use it like a rear view mirror, a glance every twenty seconds or more. Sometimes something may catch your interest.

Wife and I were fishing the water off of Lake Maurepas (close to New Orleans) and I saw a big ole gator on a point and he appeared to have caught something to eat and went under. We were slowly trolling along and when I got over the point...I could see him as plain as day on my screen. I showed my wife because we have never seen anything like it. Reminds me of the ad in the magazine that shows the sunken ship.

Buddy

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.