Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-29-08, 02:25 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Turned a one piece into a two piece

I went to a local pond this morning to do a little fishing before work this morning. We could see the bass swimming around, but they were having some serious lock jaw. I picked up one small one with a micro spinner and had a couple of blow ups on the frog.
I decided that I would mess with the blue gill for a little bit so I rigged up my small wally world rod and reel combo with a mosquito hook and food source meal worms. I had previously put some 15lbs power pro. (I had around 50 yards of it left)
While they were not bass, I was at least catching fish. On this combo, blue gill can be a lot of fun because of the ultralight combo. I would lower the drag and play them. I know it is chessy, but I was bored...LOL

(I am sure some of you may see this comming)

I hooked one of the smaller blue gills, maybe 3-4" I let it run for a little bit and then my drag went off. I knew immediately that my "bait" was in something's mouth. As I only had 50 yards of line, I began tightening the drag. It didn't matter, as all i could hear was the familiar sound of the spool at mach 3. I was begining to see the metal through the line, so in one failed and stupid move, i cinched the drag down. This slowed the fish for a moment and with very little line left on the spool, I figured it was my turn to tug on him for a while. I was able to get him close enough to tell that he wasn't a dink. I would guestimate 4+. Of course in my mind, he was a 10..lol
He came up with one big head shake and then took off again. I would have expected a louder sanp when the rod broke, but it was rather anti climatic. A little cracking and then it was over. I was left holding the bottom half of my rod and a now slack line.
The whole think lasted maybe 3 minutes, but of course it was all slow motion to me...LOL
Old 08-29-08, 02:36 PM   #2
Jim80

Thats one you won't soon forget , a few weeks back I was fishing a couple feet up the bank from a kid pulling in a blue gill , right as he brought it out of the water a snake bit the fish and held on for dear life the kid started freaking out and the few girls that were with him started screaming . They had no idea what to do so I grabbed a knife walked over and cut the line , before I made it back to my pole they were heading for the car .
Btw sorry to hear about the pole .
Old 08-29-08, 04:37 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The onyl rod I've ever broken made a loud crack. Forutantely (for me anyways) the rod was not mine. It was a cheap Daiwa rod at a local store. I was testing the power, and SNAP!! I droppped it and ran to the checkout.

Anyways, sucks that you broke your rod, at least it was just a wally world combo.

BB
Old 08-29-08, 04:54 PM   #4
cassidyta

FOR SALE:

Slightly used rod. Convenietly broken down for travel and storage!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.