Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-08-09, 11:45 AM   #1
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl
Question Stupid Questions to get out of the way.

Question 1...
I didn't want to admit it, but I've never heard the term "bait monkey" until this site. I don't really know what it means. Seems like a term for feeding the habit. I figure if I go on much longer without asking it'll be too late, and I REALLY wont want to ask. So please guys, be gentle and tell me what it means.

Question 2...
What do ya'll think about catch and release? Personally, unless I'm releasing it into an igloo, I'm not really for it (Unless the fish is too small, or it's average size and I only got one that day).

Question 3...
Can anyone tell me anything about catfishing? My husband and I are planning a fishing trip for the 4th of July with a couple that we are friends with. They want to go to the place where they were engaged which has huge cats. (Ya'll would love this girl! Engaged while fishing and married in a mud bog. lol) I'm not sure if I have the right gear for cats, especially if they are really big. However, when I first started fishing, I asked her a couple of questions about lures and whatnot and it stuck with her. She still assumes I don't know anything and she's really trying to be helpful but it makes me feel like she thinks I'm ignorant. My point is, I really don't want that to start up again by asking her about fishing for cats. Most of yall know what I have already, there are pictures of most of my tackle on my profile on here. I have 2 rods both thin and about 7ft long. One is an ugly stick and the other is a daiwa "shock". Both with 12lb test.
Old 06-08-09, 12:16 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The baitmonkey is pretty much our excuse, as people who love to fish, and love tackle more, to buy more than we really need. The baitmonkey makes us do it.

Up north, we have a lot more species of edible fish than down south so C&R becomes a big issue up here. for bass fishing, I fish probably 98% C&R. once in a while, we'll keep some 15-16" for the frying pan, but up here, there's fish that taste a lot better. Like Perch, Walleye, and Bluegill. Which if they're a legal size, I almost always keep. When it comes to fishing for Musky, which aren't really that edible, I practice 100% C&R. Musky are more of a trophy fish and with todays realistic replicas, there's no need to one for a mount. I believe this goes the same for Bass.

Whoops, forgot question 3. Probably because I'm not a big catfish person. About the only time I fish for cats is in my pond with an ultralight, 4-6lb test, a 3/0 Kahle livebait hook (with barb cut off) and a slice of bread fished on top. Makes for fun fishing, but probably won't help you much. I'd look into a bigger ugly stick (or the new Shimano Voltaeus), probably MH-H power and a biggger reel with 12-14lb mono on it (Abu Garcia Ambassadeurs work great). You can probably find a cheaper Abu ambassadeur on eBay.

BB
Old 06-08-09, 12:19 PM   #3
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

So, are bass not good to eat? I've never had it. My grandma said she's never had it either.
Old 06-08-09, 12:21 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Bass are very good eating, it's just that up north here, there are fish that are a lot better. So when you say you keep most your fish, what kind are they?

BB
Old 06-08-09, 12:35 PM   #5
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

I really havent caught anything yet except a blue gill. I've only been fishing for a couple of weeks.
Old 06-08-09, 12:55 PM   #6
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

[quote=cakalaki_girl

Question 2...
What do ya'll think about catch and release? Personally, unless I'm releasing it into an igloo, I'm not really for it (Unless the fish is too small, or it's average size and I only got one that day).

Hey Cakalaki-girl, be sure to learn the laws about size and creel limits of the different kinds of fish in your state. And every lake or river maybe different. Hate to see you get a ticket. You can pick up a regulations book at tackle shops or maybe even at Wally World.

Bass is really a protected fish in has much about and creel limits. In Va. one lake that I fish it has to be 12" to keep and another lake its 15" and can only keep 5. One lake I go to has a slot limit, bass under 12" you can keep, bass between 12" and 24" have to be thrown back and can only keep 1 over 24". Have I confused you yet? Thats the main reason to get a regulations book.

The only stupid questions are the ones not asked.

Check out my avatar. That is the plates on my truck.
Old 06-08-09, 01:14 PM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakalaki_girl View Post
Question 1...
I didn't want to admit it, but I've never heard the term "bait monkey" until this site. I don't really know what it means. Seems like a term for feeding the habit. I figure if I go on much longer without asking it'll be too late, and I REALLY wont want to ask. So please guys, be gentle and tell me what it means.

Question 2...

Question 3...
Can anyone tell me anything about catfishing? My husband and I are planning a fishing trip for the 4th of July with a couple that we are friends with. They want to go to the place where they were engaged which has huge cats. (Ya'll would love this girl! Engaged while fishing and married in a mud bog. lol) I'm not sure if I have the right gear for cats, especially if they are really big. However, when I first started fishing, I asked her a couple of questions about lures and whatnot and it stuck with her. She still assumes I don't know anything and she's really trying to be helpful but it makes me feel like she thinks I'm ignorant. My point is, I really don't want that to start up again by asking her about fishing for cats. Most of yall know what I have already, there are pictures of most of my tackle on my profile on here. I have 2 rods both thin and about 7ft long. One is an ugly stick and the other is a daiwa "shock". Both with 12lb test.
Answer one:
The bait monkey is a little monkey that tells you what to buy..... weather you need it or not!

Answer 2:
Catch and release is great! You should let go AT LEAST 90% of bass you catch, and when you do catch them, make sure you stay with in the legal limits! I keep about 5 of all the bass I catch in one mouth! Bass are okay, the smaller ones are better, and there are better fish to eat out there like crappie, bream, cats, and walleye!

Answer 3:
Dunno anything about cat fishing, but this: Cum a lot, to get them to you, they like chicken livers and stinky stuff!
Old 06-08-09, 01:15 PM   #8
JB

you meant chum rofl
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 01:16 PM   #9
MississippiBoy

No such thing as a stupid question, there are just questions you don't know the answer to yet. Don't be afraid to ask.

1. BB explained the bait monkey pretty good. If you've ever heard the expression "The devil made me do it," just substitute in "bait monkey" and you get the idea.

2. I mostly catch and release, but not always. I'm definitely not above keeping a few of the smaller bass, but I'll throw back the big ones.

3. For catfish, anything that stinks will work. Get some chicken livers from the grocery store, wrap them in old pantyhose, and put them on a treble hook. Put a sinker on it, no bobber, cast it out and let it sit on the bottom. You can also try hot dog chunks, big nightcrawlers, or pieces of Dove soap.

No, I'm not kidding....try the soap....

Last edited by MississippiBoy; 06-08-09 at 01:21 PM.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 01:21 PM   #10
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
you meant chum rofl
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I daresay he did.....at least I hope so.
Old 06-08-09, 01:28 PM   #11
bcklash

Quote:
you meant chum rofl
Now I have to clean the Mountain Dew off my key board.
That is so funny.
Old 06-08-09, 02:25 PM   #12
nofearengineer

LMAO...about to choke on my crackers and soda.
Old 06-08-09, 02:28 PM   #13
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

yeaaaah.... lol... i didnt even notice that until ya'll pointed it out. lol. everyone makes mistakes..........and sometimes they are funny as hell
Old 06-08-09, 02:33 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
you meant chum rofl
lolololololololololololololol That's funny! That was an accident!

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-08-09 at 02:51 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 03:06 PM   #15
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i use to keep every bass i caught when i first started...but now i RARELY keep them unless i gut hook em and they are bleeding real bad.
the way i look at it is, its up to the angler if they want to throw back there fish or not, but for me personally, if something gives me as much fun as a bass does...why not throw it back and give someone else a chance to have that fun.
Old 06-08-09, 03:08 PM   #16
Cavs1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakalaki_girl View Post
I really havent caught anything yet except a blue gill. I've only been fishing for a couple of weeks.
get out there and catch a bass girl!
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 03:12 PM   #17
Cavs1123

bass are 10x better than bluegill but bluegill taste better
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 03:22 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Quote:
you meant chum rofl
rofl is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs1123 View Post
bass are 10x better than bluegill but bluegill taste better
For catching, bass are better IMO. But for eating, Bluegill are better like Cavs said. hehehe, that's why I picked out the bluegill fillets at the get together and ate them myself.

BB
Old 06-08-09, 03:58 PM   #19
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If you want to catch some bass to eat, find someone who is needed to cull some from a pond. Catch and eat in this situation instead of catch and release.

Ponds are a different creature from big lakes in that fish should be taken out in order to prevent over population. My dad's pond is about 1.25 acres and is 7 years old. We have never taken any amount of fish out. This summer we want to remove about 30-50 pounds of bass and as much blue gill as possible. The only restriction we are giving people is to keep bass 12-15 inches and toss back smaller (under legal limit) than 12" and the larger ones over 15". Ask around, there are lots of ponds that need fishing all around this great country.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 05:23 PM   #20
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Go here http://www.catfish1.com/forums/index.php to catch catfish.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 06:30 PM   #21
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Bass are very good eating, it's just that up north here, there are fish that are a lot better. So when you say you keep most your fish, what kind are they?

BB

Exactly right on other fish bein better. Bluegill and perch, which are much easier to catch, are soooooooooooo much better. I never eat bass anymore.
Bait Monkey can be your friend or he can be your worst enemy. Throw him a bone once in a while and get him to let his guard down. Or feed him some muscle relaxers washed down with a little Castillo, before you head to the bait shop.
Even Aerosmith made a song about the bait monkey. Then again....so did ZZ Top. He's bad bad bad bad bad....he's nationwide.....
Old 06-08-09, 06:31 PM   #22
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
rofl is right

For catching, bass are better IMO. But for eating, Bluegill are better like Cavs said. hehehe, that's why I picked out the bluegill fillets at the get together and ate them myself.

BB

You're EEEE-VILLLL....
Old 06-08-09, 06:35 PM   #23
MallenManson

Quote:
you meant chum rofl
LMAO! Fishing can be pretty exciting but he takes it to a whole new level I guess
Old 06-08-09, 06:43 PM   #24
keithdog

Well, you know what the baitmonkey is by now, lol. As for catching and eatting bass, I practice C&R. But, I will also keep a couple smaller ones to fry up. Walleye and bluegill might be better eatting, but I love a fried bass fillet. Beside, I never fish for gills really as I am always bass fishin. And walleyes around my parts are few and far between. And I'll take a bass over a cat any day of the week!!! I definately release all bass I catch durring the spawn season.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 07:58 PM   #25
bamabassman

sounds like every question has been answered girl. and mississippiboy is dead on, there is no such thing as a stupid question here. you ask anything you need to know. everyone here will answer you in a nice way. or else ol zooker will come outta the hospital and MAKE em say sorry to you. and bassboss....if i were you my friend. i would go back and edit that statement. hahahahaha.
oh yea... the bait monkey......well.... he already has you in his grasp girl. just let it flow, kinda like the force, hahahahaha.
and bb.... largemouth bass is WAAAAAYYYY better thant bream, lmao.
yes girl, i eat bass.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.