Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-08, 11:22 PM   #1
Fishbear
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear
Question Is there really a difference?

I am just wondering if there was really much difference in similar priced rods. For example, there is a slew of rods in the 130-150.00 range. Everything from Allstar to St. Croix, etc..... Is there that much difference in them really?

Is one more sensitive? Stronger? More brittle?
Old 06-28-08, 02:18 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't think you will find a bad rod in that price range but some work better for certain applications. A lot of it is what feels best to you and what you are going to do with it if not to use it as an all around rod.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-08, 05:53 AM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yes there is a differance but ya have to trade off a g-loomis have an unbelivable amount of sensitivity but are brittle as all get out. -i have broke two this year-
i use middle of the road rods good feel and tough..i have been a big fan of fenwick rods. really like the hmx rods and a couple of the technique spefic elite rods-loath there spinnerbait stick btw- hmx rods are light strong with good sensitivity and for what it is worth @$80 ya can't go wrong.. st crow needs to go some affore i'll buy another -i have 3 aint none of them worth a dam-

fenwick, allstar,shimano,team diawa,american rodsmith,and lews are all decent rods. it all depends on what you prefur and are willin to shell out the money for..

zooker
Old 06-28-08, 08:39 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I like the Shimano, Falcon, Fenwick and All Star rods. I also really love my dad's G-Loomis, but I can't afford one of them. And I agree with Zook on the St Croix. I think they are better suited to walleye fishing and other species than bass.

There is a difference, but I think it is mostly (like everything else in fishing) personal preference.

BB
Old 06-28-08, 10:55 AM   #5
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

As Zook stated, the G-Loomis rods do seem brittle. I just bought my first one a week back and love the sensitivity, although I sometimes seem scared to really slam a fish in thick cover. I personally think it has almost too much backbone. Great rod, could be stronger.

St. Croix is a great company and make a great bass rod. Lightweight, moderately-priced, strong, and carry a good warranty. I currently own four or five and have had no complaints with any of them. Definitely a good rod for the price.

Falcon is another great rod company. For their price, I think these are some of the lightest moderately-priced rods on the market. They seem more limber than other rods I own, but they really make a good for for the $100-200 range.

From personal experience, those are the only rod companies I can speak highly of, although from store handling, Fenwick, and Shimano make a great rod as well.

Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-08, 11:23 AM   #6
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbear View Post
...Allstar to St. Croix, etc..... Is there that much difference in them really?

Is one more sensitive? Stronger? More brittle?
FishBear,

I can speak with some experience-based authority re AllStar and St.Croix, specifically the TeamAllStar and Avid models respectively.
I own some of each and have been absolutely delighted with them. (Mind you; I've been buying, using, and "judging" bass rods for over 45 years.)
St.Croix Avids (and perhaps others in the line) generally are "under-rated" so far as power ratings go, a Medium/Heavy AC66MF casting rod being more like, say, a 6-series Falcon (Heavy). I use one and love it! I can cast a Zoom U-tail. 1/8 oz tungsten, with a pegged glass bead between the weight and the worm, with considerable accuracy, ample distance, and still have amazing sensitivity and fighting power.
The AVID "specialty" rods...such as the AC69MLXF or it's spinning equivalent, AS69MLXF, are intended primarily for dropshotting but do an amazing job of casting very small cranks and other tiny lures.
Another "Specialty" rod, the AS68MXF, is similar in concept to the 5-167 Falcon "Clark Wendlandt Weightless Worm" model Lowrider. While the Falcon is rated at "5" power (MH in Falconese) the "Medium"-rated AVID has every bit the guts of the Falcon while retaining the tip action that allows it to compete in the weightless plastics arena or for casting 3" grubs on a 1/16 oz. jighead. Where the AVID AS(or AC, if they offer one in a casting model)68MXF excels is in casting 5" and 4" unweighted Senkos, YUM Dingers, WaveWorm TikiStiks, etc, OR 4" Senkos. The AVID can rifle one a country mile; into a wind; uphill; in the snow; and during a nuclear attack, so long as your spinning reel is properly filled with appropriate line. I use #20 PowerPro Yellow braid with a 6' pure fluoro leader. Killer!
All that AVID worship notwithstanding, I now sing the praises of the TeamAllStar rods. They offer major Bang-For-The-Bunk and I literally depend on my two TAS 785C rods for light soft plastics and smaller cranks, lipless cranks, and light topwater. A fine rod for the money.
Be aware, however, that their ratings are more in line with manufacturers other than St.Croix...a Medium TAS actually IS a Medium, whereas a Medium AVID might feel more like a Medium/Heavy, at least in certain models.

So, in all-too-many words, a bit of personal observation that you MIGHT find useful.

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 12:01 AM   #7
Fishbear
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

Thanks for all the info,,, my mind (what is left of it) is reeling with all this info. Buddy of mine said now Powell has lowered their prices to be more inline with everyone else on rods up to 7 foot..... one more hat thrown in the ring I guess.
Old 06-29-08, 12:30 AM   #8
Bender

I have only heard Powell rods held in the highest regard but I have never used them.
My dad broke my Shimano Crucial drop shot rod this morning on a 3 pounder, I think I weakened it when I pulled loose a hangup and the weight nailed the rod at 100 MPH the other day. Took it in to Cabelas and promptly got a new one, didn't even need the receipt.
Old 06-29-08, 12:57 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bender, that's good to know. I'm looking at getting that dropshot rod. You guys like it?

BB
Old 06-29-08, 06:33 PM   #10
Bender

Absolutely love it. I have had a 2500 and a 2000 Shimano size reel on it and just put a 1500 Diawa Exceller on it to try to keep it light, you can feel when the fish look at it! The Cumara would also be nice, but IMO it isn't worth $100 more. I was not a Shimano rod fan until I got this one.
Old 06-30-08, 12:27 AM   #11
Rebbasser

Bottom line is price really doesn't matter. What matters is how it feels to YOU. I know guys that swear by Kistler rods. Kistler rods just don't feel right to me. I'm perfectly happy with my Falcon Low Riders and Caras. They feel right to me. 90+% of my rods are in the $80-100 range. Not the top of the line but good quality.
Old 06-30-08, 02:24 PM   #12
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbear View Post
Thanks for all the info,,, my mind (what is left of it) is reeling with all this info.
FishCub,

I DO get a little "detailed" in my post(s), but here's why:
Rather than simply state "I like rods made by Futzpup Rod & Toaster Company, so there!" I prefer to describe performance as related to application.
In so doing, I feel, I'm giving a reader a sort of virtual "Hands on" experience that might aid him/her/it/Buzz Wing in making a selection.
I don't think certain rods, reels, toasters, etc, are good because I own them. Instead, I praise and recommend them via explaining HOW they make me a better fisherman (or give me better toast)
One of my fishing friends once made mention (appreciatively, I think,) of my attention to detail. Well, deserved praise or not, if I do possess that trait I've benefited from it; catching at least one more bass during my career than I might otherwise have caught. I've enjoyed some pretty fine toast along the path too!

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.