Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-08, 03:36 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Online product ratings.

I don't rant much, but lately this has really been ticking me off.

Big sites like BPS and Cabela's has product rating by customers and I've found these to be very helpful, but also very aggravating. What I mean is that when people give a good honest review and tell why they like it (i.e. crankbaits runs good out of box, has a great action, paint scheme very realistic, etc.) it is helpful.

but when people go on and give it 5 stars and say. "This is a fantastic product i bought this in early July 2007 and used it shortly after, this thing is awesome, i caught 8 bass in a row and they were all a good size to" (this is an actualy review of the Strike King Tour Grade Crankbaits on BPS website) It was rated 5 out of 5 for no good reason. IMO just cause a lure catches fish, doesn't make it good.

But what really gets me is this: This is a rating for Mann's Elite baby 1- on BPS website, got 2 out of 5, again for no good reason: "Maybe it was my fault but I was using this lure in an area I knew had a school of bass hitting topwaters. This lure didn't even get looked at. As soon as I changed lures I hooked bass on 6 consecutive casts. I was disappointed because the reviews were great but the lure was ignored." Another one, same lure, same site, got 1 out of 5: "i never use this thing anymore. i never get bites on it , and as soon as i switch to something else i get bites. i use baby bass color and never caught 1 fish on it."

I think all reviews should have to be looked over by someone and make sure they contain a legit reason why the lure/rod/reel/et was given the rating it was given.

IMO, this is a perfect review. This was a review on the Rapala Xrap Shad on BPS website, given 4 out of 5: "These baits are great! Great action and durabilty. Fishing shallow rocky bottoms is tough on baits and so far these have held up well. Unfortunately the hooks are like most trebles and I rate them as average. Replace the hooks with some sure set hooks and you have a 5 star bait."

If you want to include that you have caught a bunch of fish on it, then that's alright, but don't base your review solely on whether or not you have caught fish with it, especially after one outting. Cause I've seen reviews that say, "I used this once and never have used it again. I fished with it for two hours with not a single fish and not even any bites."

OK, I'm done ranting now.
Old 07-01-08, 03:43 PM   #2
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

The one that really ticks me off is when someone rates something like a rod or reel and gives it high marks and says something like...

"This rod is great! It catches more fish than all my other rods combined! If you wanna catch fish, get this rod!"

It's not the dam rod you idiot, you just got lucky that day.

Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 03:58 PM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You just got to be careful. Some people love their car because its a pretty color. Some people think Britney Spears is the best musician on the planet because she was once attractive. Some people think their favorite new toy is great because they paid a lot of money for it and they want to believe it was well spent. Some people will tell you that a particular glass of wine is better than another because they want to be known to have discerning taste, even if they dont know what they are talking about. Some people like to hear themselves talk. Thats just how it is with everything.
Old 07-01-08, 03:58 PM   #4
Jim80

consumer reports are based the same way to a degree . once you give people an area to voice their opinion on a product or service the flood gates are opened to public opinion which most of the time is worthless . all that matters is what you feel comfortable putting in your tackle box I mean if we all listened to how things were talked about we would all have pocket fisherman and what not right
Old 07-01-08, 04:14 PM   #5
rodman rat
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Man!! and here I am thinking everybody had the pocket fisherman!!
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 04:20 PM   #6
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodman rat View Post
Man!! and here I am thinking everybody had the pocket fisherman!!
i don't think you could pay me to carry one of them around
Old 07-01-08, 04:38 PM   #7
Fishnngolfn

What's a pocket fisherman?
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 04:47 PM   #8
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

all really good points.theirs another thing i don't like .on bps reviews is people have 20 great reviews than someone say's thats the worst item i have ever used.then you wonder why.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 05:19 PM   #9
Lilmoosecountry

I don't pay any attention to them rating i buy what i like. I keep what i like. I throw away what i don't like. I have found certain baits work for me that most don't. Besides opinions are like A---oles every bodies got one. Form your own opinions through trial & Error. Never take any bodies word when it comes to ratings. You may be Loosing that next wonder plug because of it.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 05:22 PM   #10
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

what gets me.. why throw a crank in a topwater area.. unless hes like popping it or something but that DA probally was cranking it thinking it swam like 1" under the water
Old 07-01-08, 05:26 PM   #11
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
What's a pocket fisherman?
it's a fold out rod they sell on infomercials complete crap if ya ask me
Old 07-01-08, 05:48 PM   #12
Fishnngolfn

Does anyone own the kid rocket fishing rod? You know that pump rocket kid casting thing. If so, does it work well? My daughter has little to no interest in fishing but on occasion likes to go with me to our retention pond. She is not interested at all in learning how to cast a fishing pole nor is careful when attempting to do so. I figured this could be something that she could do without me stopping every 30 seconds to cast her line out again. She is very impatient and reels a bobber and hook back in after 30 seconds and then wants me to cast it out again. It is very frustrating. It wouldn't bother as much if she really was wanting to learn but she just wants to be out with me sometimes.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 05:51 PM   #13
Jim80

a friend of mine got one for their kid and love it but they said that their son gets more of a kick out of shooting the lure out .

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.