Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-24-08, 09:04 PM   #1
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

Default FLW/Targus Rods

I have been "on the hunt" lately for some medium to medium heavy rods with a faster tip on them and have been having almost no luck. I hit up every rod that Walmart and BPS had and I found 2. One was a Shimano, for $100 at BPS and the other was a FLW rod at Wally-World for just over $50. It says it is made by Targus, which makes some pretty expensive/nice flyfishing rods. I figured I would give them a shot. Anyone else a cheap a-- and try one of these out or know if they are any good? I bought a baitcaster and threw on it, I like it so far. Hopefully there won't be a "Tropical Storm" next weekend and I can get a better opinion.
-Aaron
GreenF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 10:14 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well greenie........... i just went to ol wally world today and returned my 6' abu tourny grad rod (broken tip about 2" down) and got another one. less than $50.00. they had a 7', no 6', so i took it.needed another 7' anyway. it is medium action and has a truly fast tip on it. i really like this rod. i use the garcia silver reel and like the combo truly well. and yea.... faye is goning through here as well. used to live really close to where you are (baldwin county, al), understand ALL about the T S 's and hurricanes (IVAN). CAN'T WAIT TILL THIS IS OVER AND USE MINE NEXT WEEKEND AS WELL. good luck with yours too.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 02:50 PM   #3
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF350 View Post
I have been "on the hunt" lately for some medium to medium heavy rods with a faster tip on them...
-Aaron
St.Croix Avid AS68MXF (Spinning. They may have a casting version.) about 170 bux.
Falcon Lowrider 5-167, casting OR spinning, about 110 bux.
These are exactly what you describe.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 03:16 PM   #4
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
St.Croix Avid AS68MXF (Spinning. They may have a casting version.) about 170 bux.
Falcon Lowrider 5-167, casting OR spinning, about 110 bux.
These are exactly what you describe.

L6

Aren't these the same rods you suggested to me for my weightless plastics? I held the Falcon rod the other day (baitcaster) and it was so light. I can't wait to get my Christmas present this year. No one here in Birmingham has the spinning model. I even checked BPS in Prattville and they only carry the baitcaster rod. I will either have to order the spinning model or go with a baitcaster. The only issue I have getting a baitcaster for my application is the baitcaster reel is going to be more expensive than the spinning reel.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 05:55 PM   #5
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

I need to find somewhere around here that sells those St. Croix rods. I have never seen one in person and wouldn't mind checking one out. It better be good though, I spend too much money on other toys to buy a few $170 fishing rods...hahaha!
-Aaron
Old 08-25-08, 06:52 PM   #6
Lancer6

Quote:
I need to find somewhere around here that sells those St. Croix rods. I have never seen one in person and wouldn't mind checking one out. It better be good though, I spend too much money on other toys to buy a few $170 fishing rods...hahaha!
-Aaron
GreenBean,

That AVID...ANY AVID...is worth the bux. If you honestly feel that the spinning rod is the way to go, then by all means go for it. Either the LowRider OR the AVID will make you smile but I think, after comparing MY LowRider spin version of the 5-167 to the AVD AS68MXF, that the AVID offers a tad bit more power and feel. The LowRider might be slightly better if you get the urge to throw really light stuff, such as a 3" grub on a 1/16 oz jighead or a 4" TikiStik. For the ZOOM Trick Worms, the 4 and 5" Senkos, and the other 5-6" soft sticks the AVID should offer some advantage.
Either rod will serve you VERY well. Remember too that the higher cost of the AVID will be somewhat offset by spending a little less on the appropriate spin reel, but the Shimano Saros, in size 2500, is probably the optimum target...spooled with #20 braid w/a P-Line CFX (accept NO substitutes!) leader, 6-7' in length, 12-15 pound test, attached via the ^%%$#! J-Knot.
Can we get 'er done?

L6
Note: ALL products and combinations above have been thoroughly tested under combat conditions by none other than the handsome OR talented Lancer6. Those who have followed his recommendations are the happiest campers on the planet.
Old 08-25-08, 07:08 PM   #7
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, I will have to check it out. I have a handful of spinning reels that I was using prior to just recently getting the baitcaster. As of late I have just been having trouble with the line winding on the back of the spool when topwater fishing. I know why (lack of steady tension), but know of no other way to fix it than another type of reel. My dad and I always used to use the old Zebco 44's (I think it was) that hung under the reel with the finger trigger like the spinning reels, but the new ones (when you can find them) are nowhere NEAR the quality of the old ones. (Too much plastic). I did just see the other day that Flueger makes one now too though and I may check it out too. Either way, I was just curious about these rods, I showed my fishing partner that FLW rod and he just went and bought one today, I guess we will find out this weekend how they do.
-Aaron
Old 08-25-08, 08:13 PM   #8
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post

L6
Note: ALL products and combinations above have been thoroughly tested under combat conditions by none other than the handsome OR talented Lancer6. Those who have followed his recommendations are the happiest campers on the planet.
so some days you are talented some days your handsome or are you neither under combat conditions .
Old 08-26-08, 09:25 AM   #9
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
so some days you are talented some days your handsome or are you neither under combat conditions .
During combat, as I learned nearly forty years ago, talent trumps handsome 99.999% of the time.

Lancer6...Out.
Old 08-26-08, 09:52 AM   #10
Jim80

very true L6 talent usually trumps in almost all situations of importance .

Jim
Old 08-26-08, 09:59 AM   #11
Lancer6

Quote:
...As of late I have just been having trouble with the line winding on the back of the spool when topwater fishing. I know why (lack of steady tension), but know of no other way to fix it than another type of reel. My dad and I always used to use the old Zebco 44's...
-Aaron
Aaron,

The problem you describe when fishing TW with a spin reel would NOT be alleviated by using an enclosed-spool reel, be it a Z-44 or otherwise. In fact, you won't be able to detect a looming problem until it's too late.
This problem occurs more when one holds the spin rod vertically or near so while retrieving with a "Stop 'n Go" motion. For that reason I rarely fish a TW with a spin rig, the usual exception being casting a steady-retrieve TW, such as a toad or buZZZZZZZZZZbait.
There ARE remedies that can be applied, but first; I got the impression from first post in this seemingly endless thread (That's OK. That's what I'm here for) that the mission statement specified "weightless worms" and THAT'S why I recommended the rods I touted. Then, more recently, the emphasis was on heavy/med.heavy rods with fast tips. The same prescription applies.
About those remedies; If you simply MUST throw topwaters with a spin rod, and many folks do, even some of the pros, then you'll need to change your wicked ways re retrieve style.
First, position the rod low and almost to the side, around 60-70 degrees from front. Then, learn to alter your cranking so that you will take up excess slack more smoothly and rapidly on each "pop" or "swoosh".
To do this you'd best have the handle "up", meaning that if the rod is to your right you should be cranking left-handed. You can reverse that, of course; Rod left, crank right.
Try to take perhaps a 1/4 turn of the handle in combination with a slight rearward sweep of the rod on each pop. Once you find the right combination of rod sweep and line retrieval you'll have eliminated 99% of the problem and still make an excellent lure presentation.
The rods I recommended, BTW, will serve well with lighter TWs, but that's not where they shine.
In our wonderful sport there are mission-specific tools, especially in the regal realm of rods. There are some situations wherein a multi-purpose rod will serve but there are others that require a narrower range of capabilities. Dropshotting, one of the latest crazes, comes to mind, although a partner of mine and I have discovered some other uses for a purpose-built dropshot rod.
You will find that if you are patient and "do without" until you've accumulated the wherewithal to purchase the right tool for a specific job you win.

Lancer6
Old 08-27-08, 06:25 PM   #12
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

I think that Lancer6 is most likely right as I can usually fish most of the day and not have a problem, but it sure is a downer when it does get a rat's nest. That is a big reason that I have finally decided to learn to cast a bait caster. It is actually going really good and this is what facilitated buying a new rod. I AM going to look into some of the ones mentioned, but I was really just seeing if anyone had looked at or used the rods I mentioned. (I already bought it so, I guess I will have my own report soon). I am by no mean a "professional", but I like my stuff to work when I need it to. If I do continue to use the spinning rod for topwater I will just make sure to keep the rod tip down and do my best to keep the slack out. Thanks for the opinions and advice.
-Aaron

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.