Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-25-08, 10:25 PM   #1
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess
Default Crankbait Keeper

I'm looking for a plastic box that clips around my fishing rod to encase my crankbaits on my way to, from, and on the water. I hate how the treble hooks tangle themselves around everything, as well as scratch crescents into my fishing rod. I've tried the canvas covers with the Velcro liner, but the treble hooks just hook into that as well.

If anyone could point me to the website for these crankbait keepers, I'd be most grateful.
Old 08-26-08, 09:21 AM   #2
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InEccess View Post
I'm looking for a plastic box that clips around my fishing rod to encase my crankbaits on my way to, from, and on the water. I hate how the treble hooks tangle themselves around everything, as well as scratch crescents into my fishing rod. I've tried the canvas covers with the Velcro liner, but the treble hooks just hook into that as well.

If anyone could point me to the website for these crankbait keepers, I'd be most grateful.
InExcess, (Spellchecker on, sorry.)

Here's the solution that works very well for me:

First, I don't leave lures dangling from the rod tip unless I'm rotating between rods every few casts. This applies to soft plastics so well as hard baits. On a T-rig, reeling the weight tightly into the tip guide, or having it reeled for you via the reel handle being bumped about, will ultimately result in a damaged guide, usually the insert being knocked out of the frame.
With hard baits, lures left hanging from the tip will grab each other, carpet, or you.
Sooooo...With C-rigs I use a Velcro wrap just ahead of the front portion of the grip. Like this;
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults
For T-rigs, I use that same item OR I push the point of the hook through the plastic and stick it into the little keeper one finds on most rods nowadays.
If your rod(s) have no keepers built in, try these;

For hard baits; those with trebles, mostly, I hook the rear treble on the keeper mentioned in the previous sentence then apply these;
to the remaining trebles. Problem solved.
It takes only seconds to remove the bonnets when preparing to cast, put them in a pocket, then reattach them when you put that rod aside.
Of course, you may occasionally find you've made a cast with a bonnet still attached...I have, especially in the dark

Leaving any lure, for any reason, at the rod tip courts disaster, regardless of whether or not the hooks are shielded. One rod, bounced over the side during travel or for whatever cause may well take others with it.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.