Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-08, 03:21 PM   #1
Bmuskin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bass Color

You know as I look at pics and compare to mine. I really notice some difference in color and particuarly depth of color. I have caught some nice ones out of a subdivision pond lately, and the bigger 4 pounds plus seem unusually green on the back and hed and very pale on the body. Really no stripe at all. I caught one an hour south of me and it was more gold colored. Not like a smallmouth but more brown than green. They all had smooth tongues so they were not spotted or smallies but were LMB. My qustion is this why the color variation, Diet, Vegetation, Minerals, Climate, Genetics? What goes into play here.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 03:40 PM   #2
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have noticed that the more fertilizer crap and junk there is in our retention ponds, the darker the LMB are. The cleaner the water is the brighter color the LMB are. The large mouth that come out of water reservoirs and drinking supplies are much "cleaner" when it comes to looks.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 04:31 PM   #3
doc

enviroment and
there are different strains of LMB. I know of a northern strain and the ever so touted florida strain that is in my local lake.

Thats my guess anyway
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 05:15 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

As the water gets muddier or visibility gets poorer[?], the colors of the bass (and most oall other fish) get faded out. If you look at some pictures of mine from Lake Hudson (aka Mudson) you'll notice how faded out some of the colors are. (http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ht=lake+hudson)

F&G, fish out of drinking reservois do have great color because of the clear and clean water.

BB
Old 08-28-08, 05:44 PM   #5
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

noticed that last weekend BB. fished a muddy river and the little fellas were pale. looked sick compared to the floridas out of our 1 clear water hangout.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 07:21 PM   #6
MIbasser

I fished the St. Clair river last weekend and we boated a couple of LM's that were brown. Never seen them look like that before. But I figured that it's because of the water color (very clear).
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 07:43 PM   #7
Love of the Sport
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In my small pond they vary from almost dark brown to a pretty green to really bland washed out green.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.