Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-29-08, 01:25 PM   #1
Bottom Rig
BassFishin.Com Member

Default DD22's

Looking for a casting rod for dd22's only. I am looking at american rodsmith's David Fritts cranking models DF70M & DF70MH to use with a 5:0:1 baitcaster & 12 lb seaguar invisix or 12 lb big game. Which rod would you recommend or what are your other recommendations? Thanks.
Bottom Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 10:40 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

4.7 or the 3.8 geared reels i like the fritts reels... dd22 will put some torque on the rod. not 1/2 bad.. how ever if you get to the lucky craft deep divers -which i use alot- you'll wish ya had a slower reel..the lc deep divers put out TWICE the pull a dd22 does..

zooker
Old 09-01-08, 08:55 PM   #3
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I throw alot of dd22's on two different crankin rods. I have a quantum KVD signature series figerglass rod, and a shimano graphite rod. The KVD has a 4:4:1 gear ratio reel on it, and the shimano has a 5:1:1, both work great. I like fiberglass, but I like graphite better for cranks. You can tell right away when you line is contacting structure or the bottom, and you know right away when you need to slow down. Fiberglasses aren't near as sensative, but they aren't built for sensativity. Good fishin'
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 09:20 AM   #4
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Gotta agree with Zooker on the reel retrieve speeds! Even with the DD-22s the slower retrieve speed is better and certainly less work on the operator!
As for the rods, I have never fished American Rodsmiths. I have heard a lot of good things about them though. I would opt for the lighter action of the two (DF70M), if those are my only two choices.
When it comes to the line, I have tried the flourocarbon line on the cranking reels and just haven't ever found a situation that would convince me that is the way to go. The stuff is too stiff and too brittle for me to really like it. You may get a couple of inches of more depth, but beyond that Suffix Elite clear in the 10 or 12 lb line size will be more than adequate for DD-22s (or LCs if you can afford them? LOL)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.