Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-29-08, 04:54 PM   #1
Tall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Feel, when to set the hook

I am having a tough time with my timing on setting the hook on Carolina rigs. Caught a 8.64 large mouth last night but like most, even with Texas rig the hook is in the gullet and bad news for the fish. I know to cut the line, but it seems to be too late. If they don't swim off with the line like last night in the dark, it is tough to figure out how long to wait.

My question is do any of you have a routine down, or pattern that may prevent getting the hook so deep? I seem to miss so many if I don't wait. I use the large wide gap 4 and 5 hooks.

I am just getting back into bass fishing, but have only fished very stained waters in SE Arkansas in years past with spiders/large spinner baits. This clear water big lake fishing is a new game.

I have done a lot of research on the net, hence running across this site looking for information, for night fishing for bass, to season patterns, and how to locate bass in lake such as Ouachita, Degray, etc in Arkansas.

I have the bug to do some tourny fishing but at this rate I would go hungry much less not place in the money, with all the DVR fishing shows I have taped and articles I have read and researched I have increased my knowledge a lot, but have a long way to go. The 8.64 and 4.54 was a lot on pole bending and fun last night.

I know nothing will take the place of time on the water, but some of your trail and error knowledge could save time if you wished to share the experiences.

A lot of good topics here at this site I might add.
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 04:58 PM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Get a feel for what it feels like coming across the bottom where you are fishing. If you feel ANYTHING slightly different, set the hook.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 04:59 PM   #3
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

and by the way, where are you? we welcome another arkie since there are only 4 of us that post on here regularly.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 05:00 PM   #4
doc

On another note what part of Arkansas are you from. There are a couple of us LA (lower Arkansas) fishemen on these boards.
Old 08-29-08, 05:07 PM   #5
Tall

Well I thought I was doing that. I felt a very light tug, I ever so lightly pulled on the line to see if their were weight there and then I set the hook, but I was to late to hook it in the lip.

Maybe practice will make perfect, well better.

I work a 24 hour shift on and off 48 hours and have a lot of time if the revenue is their for gas to fish. I have just palyed golf the last 7 ot 8 years every minute if have been off, but two knee replacements and I am off now with another surgery and feel it is time to move on to better things so fishing I go.
Old 08-29-08, 05:12 PM   #6
cassidyta

I was having the same issue. I pinched down the barbs on my c-rigs. A lot of my lakes inisist on barbless, so it was not the end of the world. I still get some gut hooks, but I have been able to remove them without too much difficulty. Also, if your water will allow it, you might want to downsize your weight to allow you to feel it a little faster.
Old 08-29-08, 05:14 PM   #7
Tall

I work at LRFD and live in Sheridan. I was at Lake Montecello last night. As I was pulling in about 6 pm a crew of boats were just leaving. One had a tall platform like used in filming and two fancy boats pulling out with it. A couple of females were in two of the trucks, possible a fish off or something that was filmed.
Old 08-29-08, 05:31 PM   #8
doc

AH, lake monticello. Me and lowrider fish that ALOT, (one of the perks of being 10 minutes away) Check out my avitar

Anyhow next time you go drop a message on the boards.
Old 08-29-08, 10:47 PM   #9
Tall

doc I will try to drop a message.

I would have not went down there last night but I went Tuesday and did not catch a fish. My neighbor went with me and caught 8. My wife was really giving me a hard time about all the money I have spent on rods, reels, bait, boat etc,. I happen to mention to my wife about I thought I had to big of line on my reel and I was going to get some smaller line and catch me a big one. Well she went on a horse laughing spree at me saying 3 pound line was all I needed and laughing till she had tears in her eyes. Well she keep at it till she burnt my rear end, so after a doc apointment in LR I stopped by Sports Acad. and got some florocarbon and P line some of my friends are using and dicided night fishing might also help on the clear water so I went last night.

I told the young man that went with me I had practiced my return horse laugh already, and to get ready I was going to try hard to get the last laugh in after we got in the water. I figured I would eat my words when I left about get ready big boy\girl getting caught tonight, but I got lucky. Sure was fun and with a report I got was fishing was slow and you may only get 4 or 5 all night long but they may be quality fish was right on. One was enough for that last laugh and I even added a little to it such as, what I could really do with G lo0mis rods.

I think I am headed to Degray next week, a FD buddy wants to go. I have a week long class at the National Fire acadamy in Maryland the week after.
Old 08-29-08, 11:12 PM   #10
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Get a feel for what it feels like coming across the bottom where you are fishing. If you feel ANYTHING slightly different, set the hook.
Along those lines yours hits could go from soft to the fish slamming the bait , for a long time I would shy away for plastics and throw a lot of spinners and cranks and such , once you get a feel for the area your bait moving though I usually set the hook at the first sign of resistence remember hooksets are free and sometimes what feels like a snag is a fish picking the bait up .

Btw welcome to the site man lots of great guys and good advice around .
Old 08-30-08, 07:26 AM   #11
Mac2

If you are C rigging, the bass can carry the lure twice the length of the leader before even being noticed if the bass comes toward you. In the case of a three foot leader, that's a total of 6 feet, plenty of time and room to swallow a bait, before even moving the sinker. If you shorten the leader, that will help some if it doesn't bother the fish by being too close to the bead and weight. Another option would be to use a lighter weight, but a lot of guys wouldn't think of this as you will lose some contact with the bottom. Going lighter will often allow you to pick up on some of the movement quicker. If using mono that has some stretch, switching to a braid will help the sensitivity issue as well if you are currently using a mono....a braid with a fluoro leader will help a lot. Braid, on the other hand, often tries to float and if at a long enough distance will belly upwards underwater causing a dampening effect. Mashing down the barb halfway, leaving a little knob will certainly help a great deal in taking out the hook....I get the pliars to rest on the open part of the barb and press somewhat carefully just enough to bend it down without mashing the solid area of the barb.....bending it down rather than mashing the whole barb down. Even this much helps a lot.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.