Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-08, 06:37 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default BPS Reels

Just a quick question... who makes the Bass Pro Shops reels, specifaclly the extreme and the Rick Clinn reel? I have heard Pfleuger but they do not feel like them, and was wondering your thoughts on both of these reels. Thanks

Ryan
Old 09-03-08, 06:42 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I had heard pinnacle a few years back and that may still be the case, but I'm not positive. In the past the extremes looked almost exactly like pinnacle reels.
Old 09-03-08, 08:57 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I do believe the higher end reel (johnny morris and JM elite) are made by pflueger, but I don't know about the lower ones. I have a Johnny Morris Signature reel and love it, but I've never used any others besides that one. The dual brakes on it make for a great casting experience.

BB
Old 09-03-08, 09:57 PM   #4
flfireman

Were made by pflueger I believe until 06, then changed. Not sure who they are made by now. Pinnacle may be the one now.
Old 09-04-08, 05:13 AM   #5
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Talking

Fisher-Price, at their facility in Upper Baboonsassholistan.
Mr. Umboga Hashimoto Fitz-MauMau, Mgr.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 09:22 AM   #6
Lilmoosecountry

I have never had an attraction for them. They want allot of money for a generic brand reel. I would be better served to buy somthing made by the company thatz name is on the reel. The fact that nobody knows who really make them. Just shows that there not worth the investment. Go by a named brand reel. That many times cost the same. Atleast you know who to contact when somthing goes wrong.
Old 09-04-08, 04:25 PM   #7
dubyatee
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to dubyatee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I do believe the higher end reel (johnny morris and JM elite) are made by pflueger, but I don't know about the lower ones. I have a Johnny Morris Signature reel and love it, but I've never used any others besides that one. The dual brakes on it make for a great casting experience.

BB
yeah i also own the signature reel and love it! the johnny morris signature and the pflueger patriarch (I think) are almost identical. Same handle, drag configuration, spool is slightly different, and the use of the dual breaking system.
dubyatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 04:37 PM   #8
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm don't recall the exact model, but I just purchased one 2 weeks ago and love it. I have no experience with the high end pricey eels though. I will say this is the first baitcaster that I have been able to cast a long distance and have zero backlash. The particular model I bought looked VERY much like the Browning reels sitting next to it. As in, with the exception of the brake setup, it could have been the same reel with a different logo and color. Either way, for the price I love it, and it is now my "go to" rod and reel. Hope this helps ad doesn't make it any more confusing.
-Aaron

I went and checked, the model I have is the ETX10SHLB. It's a $79.99, nothing too special, but works great for the price. Caught a couple nice ones this past Saturday, 1 two pounder and a few smaller ones.

Last edited by GreenF350; 09-04-08 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added info
GreenF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 04:48 PM   #9
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF350 View Post
I'm don't recall the exact model, but I just purchased one 2 weeks ago and love it. I have no experience with the high end pricey eels though. I will say this is the first baitcaster that I have been able to cast a long distance and have zero backlash. The particular model I bought looked VERY much like the Browning reels sitting next to it. As in, with the exception of the brake setup, it could have been the same reel with a different logo and color. Either way, for the price I love it, and it is now my "go to" rod and reel. Hope this helps ad doesn't make it any more confusing.
-Aaron
I liked my browing reel too, untill I caught a 10 lb hog on it (on my first trip with it) She chewed the gears up in that baby now it sounds like a trucker j-braking it every time you cast with it. still works good for flipping tho
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 05:06 PM   #10
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I liked my browing reel too, untill I caught a 10 lb hog on it (on my first trip with it) She chewed the gears up in that baby now it sounds like a trucker j-braking it every time you cast with it. still works good for flipping tho

I suppose I would sacrifice my reel for a 10lb bass. I'll find out how it handles the bigger fish as I am thinking about using it on the flats for redfish too. Honestly, I don't generally find a need to buy the more expensive reels, but I have never been able to cast a baitcaster and wanted a good setup that wasn't too expensive to give them a shot and see if I could pull it off before I went and spent a couple hundred bucks on a really nice setup. Looks like there will be a more expensive one in my future.
-Aaron
Old 09-04-08, 08:05 PM   #11
keithdog

I was told by a salesman at our local BPS this past spring that their reels are made by Phleuger.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 12:02 AM   #12
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

I know that Browning outsources the manufacture of their reels and puts their name on them. (It says so on their website, just not by whom) I suppose that maybe Phleuger makes them all hence the similarity. Who knows.....I seem to be having good luck with mine on a smaller budget. I would buy another one, but I think my next one will be a "better" reel, just to see if the extra money is worth it.
-Aaron
Old 09-05-08, 07:55 AM   #13
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have 2 of them and they work fine for me. One is on my cranking stick and I love that setup!
Old 09-05-08, 10:12 AM   #14
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
Fisher-Price, at their facility in Upper Baboonsassholistan.
Mr. Umboga Hashimoto Fitz-MauMau, Mgr.

L6
Wow, can't believe you got away with that one!
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 10:35 AM   #15
Lilmoosecountry

I could'nt agree more with his statment. Lately with 5 people in my house i have a much lower budget for rod, reels & Tackle. But there are some of BPS stuff that's just as high as a named brand reel. So cost does'nt make it Cheaper in some cases depending on the model. I recently found a Unclaimed salvage store. Man the stuff i buy & the prices i pay. It's all named brand stuff & 1/2 the cost. 1.49 for a new bag of Senko's. What's wrong with nothing. It all new product that fell off the truck & was nevor claimed. I am able to buy much more @ 1/2 the price. This is one place i don't mind the bait monkey !!! Cool thing is the inventory changes week to week. So i nevor know what i may find. Money Minnows the other day 3.00.
Old 09-05-08, 10:48 AM   #16
Fishnngolfn

"It is all new product that fell off the truck and was never claimed."

I think that is what they call receiving stolen goods.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 05:19 PM   #17
Lilmoosecountry

They are and unclaimed salvage & frieght company. Many cities have these type of stores & no it's not illlegal.
Old 09-06-08, 01:38 PM   #18
flfireman

Never have had a problem w/ my BPS unknown maker reels. I own 9 of them now. I like them, they work and have only had 1 break- It;s about 10 years old. I have since fixed it, use it on my well let's cast into that crap and see what bites set up.
Old 09-06-08, 01:47 PM   #19
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

Aaron, take a bait cast reel into the back yard and stand on a chair or table. Tighten the reel up where it will barely cast. Make ten or twenty cast and loosen the tension an eight of a turn and make another ten or twenty cast. Keep doing this until you see that you start back-lashing. Tighten it up a tad and continue practicing until you don't backlash very often. Then adjust your reel by letting the bait glide to the ground when you hit the spool release. If the line gets lose on the spool when the bait hits the ground, tighten the tension a bit. Soon you will cast like a pro.

I used the method above to teach many Zebco fisherman how to use a bait cast reel and become proficient.

Buddy

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.