Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-08-08, 08:54 PM   #26
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

as far as an update goes... i checked on them this evening, and the DNR was there with Darr's cleaning out of Clyde, Ohio. They had boats in the water, and some big trucks sucking up the dead fish into a big tank. When i went up ther just a few minutes ago, everybody was gone, and it looked like nothing ever happened. The pictures have already been taken though...

Ryan
Old 09-08-08, 09:04 PM   #27
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

This makes me sad...
Send pics to the papers.Too bad you din't get video...Could have plastered it all over intrawebz.
Sorry to see that.Do hope they find the culprit(s) responsible.
Old 09-08-08, 09:33 PM   #28
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

if it kills all those fish ...what will it do to the drinking water humans are using? just a thought...............
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 06:52 AM   #29
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
if it kills all those fish ...what will it do to the drinking water humans are using? just a thought...............
Exactly what I though, that's why I think we need to spread the word as much as we can. rrw, I don't know who you sent it to at The Blade, but Steve Pollick (spollick@theblade.com) is who covers teh fishing section on Sundays (or saturdays, forgot which.) You might want to send it to him as well.

BB
Old 09-09-08, 02:24 PM   #30
Lilmoosecountry

Many city councils have a public fourm at there meetings. Many are recorded for a local cable. There are citzens that set in these meetings. There are citzens that listen on cable to these meetings. Call the mayor out publicly & ask the question. What are you going to do about this??? If he plays around notify him in front of everybody. You'll see to it that he nevor works in public office again. If this is'nt delt with. That'll get his goat.
Old 09-09-08, 03:17 PM   #31
rrw4258

well, no replies from the papers i sent to yet but i will email them to see if they recieved them...

Ryam
Old 09-09-08, 05:05 PM   #32
Jim80

Just keep at it man , you should also see if there is a local forum and bring the topic up there with your pictures as well .

Jim
Old 09-09-08, 10:33 PM   #33
Rodman_Rob

low oxegen levels can be caused from a number of reasons, not just low water levels. lack of rain can cause low oxegen levels. severse storms can cause low oxegen levels, lack of sunlight can cause low oxegen levels, too much rain can cause low oxegen levels. its a simple test to determine low ox levels. I doubt the DNR is trying to cover anything up. sorry about the fish kill at your local lake. chances are, many fish are still alive. even though it appears to be a massive fish kill, lakes are very unique and will likely have areas where oxegen levels were sufficient.
Old 09-10-08, 03:51 PM   #34
BigBassin144

The other thing that makes me think its not low oxygen level is that the bass would have died before the catfish because of different oxygen level needs. Rodman Rob, The one thing with the small above ground reservoirs, is that they don't vary like lakes do.

I still don't think oxygen levels are the culprit.

BB
Old 09-10-08, 07:32 PM   #35
Rodman_Rob

reservoirs can vary just like lakes. all depends on the amount of water flow the dnr has been allowing into and out of the reservoir. the underwater topography can be very unique as well as a reservoir is just a flooded piece of land. it could have been a hilly area that would result in numerous points and depth changes, or it could be a flat plain.

Last edited by Rodman_Rob; 09-10-08 at 08:00 PM.
Rodman_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 04:49 AM   #36
George_Welcome
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Summertime brings higher water temperatures which automatically bring lower DO levels. There are many reasons for the DO levels to shrink including heavy rains and heavy ground runoff.

As for the removal of the fish: It is needed as their decaying bodies are using even more DO and make that kill even greater.

As for the quickness that low DO can kill: How long would you last if you can't breathe?
Old 09-12-08, 06:30 AM   #37
rrw4258

Well, I heard from somebody tonight that they had used Copper Sulfate in the water to try and kill some of the weeds/alge... and the city used too much, hense killing the fish. This is just what i have heard, and reading up about it... it makes sense to me.

Ryan
Old 09-12-08, 01:02 PM   #38
George_Welcome

Default Copper Sulfate

Copper Sulfate is very toxic to fish, and birds. Although used years ago before this was known, it is highly unlikely that it was used, or is the cause of your problem. Anything is possible, but it is highly unlikely. Furthermore, the pictures that you showed ref. the fish kill, put the kill at minimal, which leads one to believe that low DO is more than likely the culprit. If you had a kill from Copper Sulfate the entire lake would be covered with fish, so much so that it would look like you could walk across the lake on them.

We have many chemicals today that are non-toxic in nature, and I am sure that Ohio is as aware of them as is the rest of the world.
Old 09-12-08, 03:40 PM   #39
BigBassin144

Copper Sulfate is toxic to fish in high levels. We use it in our pond (about 1/2 and acre and about 22' deep in the center). We use about a third of a gallon for the whole pond. It gives the pond a nice blue tint and keeps the algae to a minimum. My neighbor, who overdoes EVERYTHING, also used this. Over a gallong for his pond (about the same size). This resulted in lots of dead small bass and bluegill. None of the bigger bass or catfish were harmed. If the city used copper sulfate, you'd be able to tell (especially if it was enough to kill all those fish). Like I said, the water would have a blue tint.
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Welcome View Post
We have many chemicals today that are non-toxic in nature, and I am sure that Ohio is as aware of them as is the rest of the world.
I wouldn't bet on it. We are right next door to Michigan, remember. lol, joking.

BB
Old 09-12-08, 06:57 PM   #40
WTL

I'm pretty sure copper sulfate is illegal even to use in some pools around here. Its strong stuff.
Old 09-13-08, 07:23 PM   #41
CSS2011
BassFishin.Com Member

The water doesn't have a blue tint though i was up there yesterday( but i am a little colored blind) but i did not see a blue tint... it pisses me off though that res is my favorite place to fish in the springive fished thier many times with rrw4358
CSS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 09:05 PM   #42
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yea dont reckon sum of dem good ole boys fron Wv sneaked across da river and done did sum moon lightin do yea?
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 03:51 PM   #43
bamabassman

carpy you been spying on me an mb again?!? hahahahaha.
Old 09-14-08, 11:57 PM   #44
MississippiBoy

Now you've gone and let the secret out, Bama. That fishin' hole is never gonna be the same again.

And I do mean "hole."
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 07:46 PM   #45
rrw4258

Hey guys, i went up there this evening and actuall ended up catching 11 bass. Not very big (10-14") but it is like nothing ever happened at all. The water has cleared up from 6 inches of visibility to about 3-4 feet, and all the weeds have died off now as well.

Ryan
Old 09-15-08, 09:25 PM   #46
bamabassman

great news pal. glad to hear it is on it's way to normal. maybe next spring it'll be fine and the bass will be bigger. and mb.... the "hole" is still there buddy,lmao, we can still "telephone it can't we? hahahahaha.
Old 09-15-08, 10:26 PM   #47
BigBassin144

Well it may return to somewhat normal then. I still wouldn't give up triyng to figure out what happened though. Especially since you have photgraphic evidence.

BB
Old 09-16-08, 03:58 PM   #48
rodman rat

"Summer is heating up and as water temperatures increase, so does the potential for hot-weather fish kills. The Florida climate and landscape offer many other potential hazards for aquatic animals. While fish kills occur year-round in our state, summertime conditions increase the likelihood of certain kinds of kills such as those related to high temperatures, low water levels, cloudy days, and sudden heavy rainfall and the associated nutrient-loaded runoff from lawns and urban areas.

A fish kill is an incident in which dead or dying fish are observed in a water body. Fish kills can occur in fresh or salt water. Some kills involve a small number of fish, while others may involve hundreds, or even thousands of fish. Fish kills occur for many reasons including disease, low dissolved oxygen, and sudden changes in water quality factors, such as temperature and salinity. Low dissolved oxygen can be especially problematic in the summer and can be influenced by many factors including weather, decomposition of organic matter, and algae blooms."

This is from the Florida Fish and wildlife.
It use to happen at reservior alot right before and after drawdowns because of the plant decay and no sunlight getting to water. I have pic like you posted of all the dead fish at rodman. They are taking precautions now that have lowered the chance of this happing but low oxygen levels will tell the fish with in hours let alone over night. The fish are still there it will just take a week or so to settle down again.

Here is a link to our resevior time line and all the things that have happened to it just so you can see not an isolated happening.

http://www.rodmanreservoir.com/facts.htm
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.