Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-15-09, 09:02 PM   #151
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
I knew you would be could for sumtin just kiddin. Really I want see if you can cook -- I'm hungery
If there's one thing us northern guys can do, it's fillet fish. fishing out on erie w/ a bunch of people and a limit of 25 yellow perch each, you get good at it. and I can. but I probably won't. I'll probably taking notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Lisa will be there, bcklash...don't worry, the food will be mighty fine if she has anything to do with it.

...unless it's cornbread.... Sorry Lisa, I had to...
+1 to what MB said. As for the cornbread, as long as it's not too sweet I'm there. and MB, how can you live in the south and not like cornbread?!?! is that even possible?!

BB

P.S. since we're talking about food, you gonna make some of that awesome looking chicken for us JB??
Old 04-15-09, 09:52 PM   #152
bamabassman

bb, mb likes cornbread. lisa just didn't it too good that weekend. it was kinda dry,lol. she was so mad at herself too. she makes GREAT CORNBREAD. mb is kidding with her. hahahahahahaha.
and ya gotta have sweet cornbread here in da south bb. no suger is added to our cornbread though.
Old 04-16-09, 12:22 AM   #153
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

We can't wait much longer -- this is like having cabin fever all over again
Old 04-16-09, 06:26 AM   #154
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
We can't wait much longer -- this is like having cabin fever all over again
lmao, I almost spit out my drink when I read this. funny, yet so true...

BB
Old 04-16-09, 06:15 PM   #155
zooker

lash
go to bugs and WORK OUT in the bushes...she is at 305 the "perfect" buzzbait level..

zooker
Old 04-19-09, 06:13 PM   #156
woody

Default Capt Dave Stewart's Latest Report

April 16, 2009

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 358.76 Surface Temperature - 58

Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 358.85 Surface Temperature - 57

Both lakes are a couple of inches below summer pool and on a slow rise. The TVA is forecasting the lakes to be one foot over summer pool by midnight on Saturday night but of course this could change so anglers should monitor the TVA website for updated lake levels. The forecast for tomorrow is very good with highs in the 70's and southeast winds around 10 mph (hopefully this wind forecast is more accurate than some of them have been lately). Another cold front will be approaching the area this weekend with passage sometime on Sunday afternoon according to the latest forecast. This approaching cold front has a chance of scattered thunderstorms for Saturday and Sunday with temperatures in the high 60's. We will see another cool day on Monday after the frontal passage but the forecast for next week shows a warming trend beginning on Tuesday. This week I noticed more movement of the Largemouth Bass toward the spawning areas. More and more female bass are showing up on the staging banks just outside the spawning areas and some of the females are moving into the spawning flats to feed, especially during the warm part of the day. The past three days have been excellent with a lot of bass taken, including some very nice fish. The Crappie anglers have been complaining all week about a scattered bite and a lot of short fish. Some keepers are being taken, mostly over brush piles in 10-15 ft of water from the reports I have received. It seems all these frontal passages we have had the last two weeks combined with fluctuating water levels and water temperature drop last week has put these fish off. Maybe with the rising water forecast we now have and some warmer weather in the forecast these fish will regroup and begin feeding good again.

Largemouth Bass: The Largemouth Bass are being taken on creek channel banks and associate secondary points in the creeks and bays as well as on the shallow spawning flats in the coves and cuts in the creeks and bays. The deeper fish are being taken on Carolina and Texas rigged lizards and creature baits, medium running crankbaits, shaky head worms, tube jigs and jigs. The shallow fish are being taken on spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, jigs and Texas rigged lizards and creature baits. The Largemouth fishing has been good this week and I expect with the rising water and warmer temperatures coming it is going to get even better as more of these late prespawn fish move shallow.

Smallmouth Bass: The Smallmouth Bass are pretty much spawning right now. These fish are being taken on gravel banks in the cuts off the main lake and along gravel banks with wood cover in the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on grubs fished on jig heads, tube jigs and jigs. Just as has been reported all spring, there are some good one and two fish days on the Smallmouth but numbers are hard to come by.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Bandit crankbaits in rootbeer chartreuse and crawfish chartreuse, Rapala DT series flat side baits in black/silver and parrot, Zoom lizards in watermelon/red and green pumpkin, Hook Some Bass vibe (chatterbait) and Booyah chatterbaits in blue glimmer, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer, Last Cast wooly bug jigs in green pumpkin and D&L baby advantage jigs in cumberland craw with green pumpkin Net Baits baby paca craw trailer, Charmer timber pups in watermelon/red and green pumpkin and Charmer shaky head worms in green pumpkin and watermelon/red on D&L shaky head jigs.

Crappie: The Crappie are being taken mostly over brush piles in 10-15 ft of water along the old creek channels. These fish are being taken by vertically fishing slow with curly tail jigs and minnow/jig combinations. A few Crappie are being taken shallow around wood cover but the numbers have been low so far this week. The shallow fish are being taken by casting curly tail jigs around shallow wood cover and by fishing with minnows under bobbers. Numbers of small fish are being reported this week but not as many keeper Crappie are being reported this week as has been the past couple of weeks prior. A few more degrees of warmer water and some stable water would help this bite for sure.

Bluegill/Shellcrackers: Bluegill are being taken around docks with cover near creek channels and also on brush piles along the old creek channels. These fish are being taken on worms fished vertically near bottom. I have not had any reports on the Shell Crackers (Red Ears) this week but we have encountered a number of them on gravel banks and gravel bars in the creeks and bays while bass fishing. It is easy to tell the Red Ears when they bite your lizard as they always take the tails of the lizards.

If you have not planned a trip down here next week or two and you like to bass fish you need to make some plans. The late prespawn and spawn bite for the Largemouth Bass is getting ready to get into full swing. If you are coming down, I recommend you stop by Fisherman's Headquarters located at the U.S. 68/U.S. 641 triangle in Draffenville and also The Cabin Bait and Tackle located just west of Kuttawa on U.S. 62. Both these tackle shops are fully stocked with all your bass fishing needs and are operated by folks that know the local lakes and bass fishing. These tackle shops stock all the lures mentioned in my reports and more.

If you are in need of some service on your boat while you are here, stop by Jet-a-Marina located on U.S. 62 just a couple of miles north of Ky Dam in Calvert City. These folks are noted for prompt courteous service and go out of their way to try to get you back on the water if at all possible. If you need some oil for your boat engine you won't find it any cheaper than at Jet-a-Marina as they sell it in bulk jugs. When you stop in the store to pick up your oil you might just plan on spending some time checking out their big showroom full of new Ranger and Stratos bass boats.

If you are in need of a bass guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email to book one of my open dates: I have the following dates available for booking in April, May and June:

April: Sorry I am booked up

May: Sorry I am booked up

June: 3, 6, 10, 11, 13, 14, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 27, 29, 30

I am, of course, taking bookings for the rest of the season also (July thru November). Summer time is not that far away and neither is the ledge fishing season which gets underway in a few weeks. If you have always wanted to learn how to find the best ledges and how to fish them, I do a teaching trip that will do just that....give me a call or email me book one of these trips.

Capt Dave Stewart
Bass Buster Guide Service
dave@kentuckylakeguide.com
www.kentuckylakeguide.com
"Fish With a Professional"
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 06:53 PM   #157
bamabassman

thanks again wody. hands are getting clammy,lol. won't be long now gang.
Old 04-20-09, 07:42 AM   #158
JB

thanks woody, these reports are spot on. Every week the guys at work are hitting ky lake and this last report is exactly what they experienced too.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 10:11 AM   #159
woody

Your welcome guys; it's been my pleasure passing along these reports from Capt. Dave Stewart's website http://www.kentuckylakeguide.com.

I hope they have been as informative to you as they have been to me.

~Mark
Old 04-20-09, 10:15 AM   #160
JB

it certainly will clue us in on what colors and lures are working, as well as location
Old 04-20-09, 10:29 AM   #161
woody

Indeed it will...

Does anyone else feel the need to go out and pick up a handfull of RootBeer Chartreuse Bandits! LOL

~Mark
Old 04-20-09, 04:51 PM   #162
WTL

Woody, I was wondering if the water is dark like brown paper bag but not clear or light but dark???
Old 04-20-09, 05:11 PM   #163
MississippiBoy

WTL, I think it's a light green, but transparent, like my house.
Old 04-21-09, 09:24 AM   #164
woody

What a coincidence WTL, I was thinking the very same thing last night as I was preparing a bowl of Brown Gravy; is it light or is it dark.

Mr. Wizard would know. LOL

~Mark
Old 04-21-09, 04:13 PM   #165
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Indeed it will...

Does anyone else feel the need to go out and pick up a handfull of RootBeer Chartreuse Bandits! LOL

~Mark
i am NOT sharing either so don't ask..btw it is a bandit 200 the dt is a dt7

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 04-21-09 at 04:21 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 08:17 AM   #166
bcklash

Are there any special boating laws that we need to know on Kentucky Lake, like a throw cushion on deck, a break down flag or signal flares. Some of these are required in some states and not others.
Old 04-22-09, 06:22 PM   #167
zooker

good question lash..

zooker
Old 04-22-09, 07:32 PM   #168
BigBassin144

Anybody got any info on fishing licenses? prices? man hope it's not too much. like Pennsylvania. 25 bucks for a 1 day.

BB
Old 04-22-09, 07:50 PM   #169
bamabassman

bb, i think jb had that in the thread WAAAAY back, or maybe it is on the thing from big bear. i know i saw it SOMEWHERE, hahahahaha.
Old 04-23-09, 08:57 PM   #170
zooker

ok lash here is what i am hearing for several local sources...

from the mule him self..

Ky and Tn are but slightly different,your kent fishing lic is good from the 68 bridge to the 79 bridge,same goes for tn lic its good that far north,neither of the recip agreements cover anything but main lake,so if fishing coves in or near the line buy both.
Most ramps are free,a few city ones want 5 bucks,pass them up to many free ones.
Boating regs are rather laxed,be more prone to check the livewell at ramp if even that.
Tn doesnt even require a boat trailer lic.if you can drag it here its ok,most ramps have a sign saying do not leave boat trailer here means you have to get permission to leave for 24 hrs.
Other than national laws or regs on boats nothing special and doubt if anyone will check,been here a year and been stopped once for a creel survey,never even asked to see any of my lic ,have both ky ,and tn.
The only place not to go is Barkley at state tn line as they do check there as Barkley smallmouth arnt exempt 18 in Tn ,cross the line with a 15 in and entire boat gets impounded.
Ky lake is exempt in tn its a 15 in smallmouth size limit.Ky size limit is 15 on both species.
So if you fish on Barkley keep only 18 in smallmouth if anywhere near the line,its 15 on largemouth on both lakes.
Barkley is more stained and a lot less grass.
As for Tn part of barkley having an 18 in and ky a 15 on smallmouth they did it lake by lake until statewide last one left was ky lake and game mgmnt said no reason to raise it.
Since the two are joined would make sense for it to be as well,but two different river sytems and Barkley suffers like a lot of tn waters on smallmouth not enough.
If later in the year like july and on grass is up down in Tn ,theirs not enough up in ky to plant a koy pond.
Ky is more commercialized with more places to stay,here we just try to make you welcome and the fishing makes up for the lack of other stuff.Short version is 15 in on ky lake either species,Barkley 15 either species in KY and Tn 18 on smallmouth and 15 on largemouth.

from old ra

And in Barkley once you're south/east of that 68 Bridge, STAY IN THE CHANNEL MARKERS if you're on pad. That back end is shallow and stumpy in alot of places even 1/2 mile off shore.

KY Lake is coming into her own right now, a "rebirth" if you will. KVD said lastyear it was his favorite lake on the stop. That's a pretty tall comparison too the others they fish like Rayburn, Guntersville, Amistad etc...

On the KY Lake/LBL side learn how to find and fish the ledges that are present in the mouth of practically every cove as well as the offshore humps/sumberged islands!!! TWRA (TN possum cops) don't hardly bother bassers unless you are acting a fool or causing trouble. I've been boating up there 20 years and never been stopped. They lookin for the pontoons with 12 drunks and kids on jet-skis asking to get run over by large crafts.

Let it happn cappn,

i am askin about life vest in particular.. when i hear i'll let ya know...oh yeah jb,woody and brotha love.. will rejoice at this the party spot on ky is called "the quarry" guess where dats is?? yep the place you all are looking to fish..now i exspect jb and woody to visit but i figure billy bob will get lost in there at least one night.depending on number of honeys present..

zooker
Old 04-23-09, 09:13 PM   #171
bcklash

You done good Zookie, that was a lot of help.
Old 04-24-09, 06:18 AM   #172
JB

good stuff biggun'

a non resident seven day license is thirty bucks, they sell them at big bear marina or in Benton at the lil basspro shop
Old 04-24-09, 03:08 PM   #173
zooker

here we go this should answer just about every question reguardin boat op on ky/lbl

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/boatingregs.html

zooker
Old 04-24-09, 03:30 PM   #174
Fishnngolfn

I'm still not sure if I'm going but my chances just increased drastically. My wife and her best girlfriend are going to Panama City May 14 - 17 and they are taking all the kids!!! That leaves me at home by myself. I am wanting to go to the fishing trip but I need to know approximately how much it will cost me since we are on a tight budget.

Gas from B'ham to site (how many miles) - ~350 one way (so a little over a tank to get there) - $60 gas round trip
Camping (tent - possibly sharing a campsite with someone) from Thursday to Sun - ????
Food and drinks (non-alcoholic) for one - ???
3 day fishing license for Kentucky - ???

Anyone of you guys can PM if you like. Thanks.

Last edited by Fishnngolfn; 04-24-09 at 03:46 PM.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 04:14 PM   #175
MississippiBoy

Awesome, I hope you can pull it off. Here's campsite rates: http://bigbearkentuckylake.com/Rates...ndSeasonal.asp

An out of state 7 day KY fishing license is $30, I believe. Not sure if they have a 3-day license. Food and drink are up to you, so that's still a ???

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.