Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-09, 03:23 AM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default 7/12/09 Trip W/Pics

Go to make a good trip this morning fellas to another lake (Approx. 70 acres) on the land we were fishing the other day. I was surprised the wife let me go so easy, but I reckon I know lock down is right around the corner, 7/27, to be exact. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Anyways, we made it to the water about 5 AM with some hopes of some pre-sunrise blow up. We went for nada on the Spook, buzzbait, and devil horse type prop bait (can't remember what it is called) and a tiny torpedo. We still had a few minutes left before the sun broke the horizon and we trolled over to an old road bed with a submerged tree and brush pile. While we were trolling, I must say I was just messing around and letting a 7" anaconda drag about 100 feet behind the boat, wham, I caught a 2 lber. Bubba 1, skunk 0, so I don't have to worry about him the rest of the day. We pulled up near the road bed and my buddy threw a 6" liz on an isolated log about 50 yards from the point and all I felt was the boat shake and heard him say "Get the net". Wham, first fish for him 9#:

At the same time I was twitching a Spro popper frog, about the time he said get the net, ba-doosh, a toad whalloped on the frog. Early morning jitters had me though, and I reckon I snatched before he got it sucked in. I watched my buddy fight the fish and readied the net, and then stale mate, the fish wrapped. But my buddy kept his cool and pressure on the fish and she finally came around surfaced and I got her. I was so excited, I had just lost a pig, and my buddy had a fish as big around and it was long. So I took the pic and he released it. I caught another fish, 3.75#, on the frog:

Then my buddy threw by the brush pile, and same scenerio all over again. Another fish I would estimate about the same size as the first one. He had the fish coming to the boat and he turned his head and I saw the rod go lip, he said man she got off and I told him I don't think so. I asked if he had retied from the last beast, because sho'nuff, broke line. Well we fished around and picked up a few more fish and then moved across the lake to a point with a grass and pad flat. My buddy kept trying to tell me that he just didn't have confidense in my frog. I made a long cast and just twitched the frog across grass. The frog didn't clear the grass line an inch and spla-doosh, 1-1000, 2-1000, set and the fight was on. My buddy was hollering for me to throw him the net so I did and it got tangled in crap when I tossed it up to him. He just kept telling me to play the fish. He finally got the net unhung and boated her for me. Another fattie that tipped the scales at 6#. I was so glad to finally clear the 5# range for the year. Not by much, but it is always a goal to catch at least 1 fish over 5 a year.

He sucked it to the gullet.

The sun was getting high. So I put Spro daddy away. I made a trade a while back with Zooker, and he sent me a Yo-Zuri crankbait. It probably dives 3-5' and it flashy silver with a gold cap. Not sure of the specific color. But first cast, first fish.

Dinks need some love, too.

Now we're talking.
I think I caught 12 fish on the formerly know Yo-Zuri. It shall now be called the Yo-Zooker. My buddy threw a crankbait until he was blue in the face without a hit on another crankbait. He kept saying well they are close in color. But I kept telling him that mine had the blessing of the Zooker. We had a pretty good pattern going though. Most of our fish were hanging around isolated cover and were coming off of green based lizards (Watermelon seed & Kudzu).When the sun would poke out, I would go back to throwing the Yo-Zooker and pick up a few here and there. I know some of you might look down on us keeping fish like this. But hey, we are just following the land owners request. They provide pay hunts and feed the customers with a lot of our catches:

Big ole war mouth AKA "Sugar Puss" on the Y-Z:

I just want to take a minute and thank a lot of you guys for your input. And thank you Kevin for creating the site with people who aren't afraid to share information. This time at home, I have caught more fish on a spinner bait and crank bait, than I have in the past 10 years. I learned from listening to y'all and I appreciate it. I could have threw a silver crankbait or Rat-L-Trap with the high sun today, and maybe shared the same results, but I thought I would chunk that crank in honor of Zook and the prayer of Godspeed to his return to the water. Thanks again for sending me the cranks Zook. The only downfall of the day was that I ended up in Immediacare this evening with Laryngitis and a bacterial infection from what they said came from a viral bug I caught Sunday evening. My kids were high fiving and bumping chest for the thought of a holler free couple of days.
Old 06-13-09, 03:44 AM   #2
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Congrats on some nice bass, good numbers and a great gill! Bet them will be some good eats! Some crusties, mango salsa and taco shells make a great fish taco! add some chipotle mayo and shredded red cabbage, ooo now im hungry!
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-09, 04:10 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bubba- that is an awsome day man, way to go. that fish in the top pic is an absolute giant. the fish in the second pic is a good fish as well but all i can look at is the beautiful unrise in the background. thanks for taking the time to share the pics buddy.
Old 06-13-09, 04:15 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

It's another tequila sunrise. I am serious about my buddy's fish. When I got it in the boat and her mouth was shut, she was like a football X 5. I have never seen a fish with a girth like that for the length of the fish. The picture doesn't have the justice as the eye witness.
Old 06-13-09, 07:44 AM   #5
bamabassman

i have to say ditto on the beautiful sunrise too. and the hawg mollies are awesum. i am gonna miss not being able to fish as much as i wanted to for the remainder of the year. thank you for the pics. and also thanks for zooker honor. he is gonna be proud of ya for the cranking job. thanks bubba. and please keep posting the pics. if i can't go, it is just as if i were fishing myelf looking at others catches. thanks pal.
Old 06-13-09, 11:18 AM   #6
brushhog

Bubba, thanks for taking the time to post that, it was a great read... I too have become a much better angler because of the information shared here, thanks to all.
Old 06-14-09, 09:27 AM   #7
JRL
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nice fish! That war mouth is massive!
Old 06-16-09, 03:53 PM   #8
Fishnngolfn

I'm jealous.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 04:50 PM   #9
Bassboss

That was a great read Bubba! Nice fish all round! Good to know you got 1 over 5 so far, my Goal is 10 over five, and one over 8.
Old 06-16-09, 04:55 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Sounds like you're gonna have a great day. You must have have a great photo place if they got you your pictures back from july 12th when it's only still june! (check your dates, lol)

All kidding aside, looks like ya had a great and caught lots of nice fish. I still would've thrown those two bigguns back.

BB
Old 06-16-09, 05:09 PM   #11
Willvdh1
BassFishin.Com Member

man, yall cleaned up.
Willvdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 05:41 PM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

We did throw the biguns back. We are told to keep all under 3. And release any over unless they will be mounted. Just noticed the date BB. I must have been excited still hahahaha.

Last edited by Bubba_Bruiser; 06-16-09 at 08:44 PM.
Bubba_Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 11:50 PM   #13
REDBULLCUBAN

Send a message via AIM to REDBULLCUBAN

good catches but why keep so many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-09, 08:59 AM   #14
MississippiBoy

Question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDBULLCUBAN View Post
good catches but why keep so many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
We did throw the biguns back. We are told to keep all under 3. And release any over unless they will be mounted.
Lake owner's wishes. Plus, they taste great.
Old 06-18-09, 04:50 PM   #15
REDBULLCUBAN

Send a message via AIM to REDBULLCUBAN

yea but they could have accidently slipped back into the water wink wink haha
Old 06-19-09, 02:57 AM   #16
BassinID

RBC, the owner has a management plan that includes removing all undersized fish, I think that if you don't respect that then the fishing privilege would probably be removed. IMO the plan sounds like the best idea judging from the pics that I have seen so far out of that particular pond.
Old 06-19-09, 07:08 AM   #17
zooker

hmmm a yo-zook huh? i like it...

i do tend to know a good crank when i see one...

zooker
Old 06-19-09, 11:06 AM   #18
Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
hmmm a yo-zook huh? i like it...

i do tend to know a good crank when i see one...

zooker
You got that right!
Old 06-19-09, 03:58 PM   #19
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Great haul bubba!
Old 06-19-09, 03:59 PM   #20
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
Congrats on some nice bass, good numbers and a great gill! Bet them will be some good eats! Some crusties, mango salsa and taco shells make a great fish taco! add some chipotle mayo and shredded red cabbage, ooo now im hungry!
Chipotle mayo? Can you buy it that way, or are you mixing it up?
Sounds like a great way to jazz up some egg salad!
Old 06-20-09, 02:20 PM   #21
Bubba_Bruiser

I get all the jazz I need from regular egg salad!!! hahahahahaha "Thanks toot tones"
Old 06-20-09, 05:33 PM   #22
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I get all the jazz I need from regular egg salad!!! hahahahahaha "Thanks toot tones"
Sometimes ya gotta rub some funk on it
Old 06-24-09, 11:20 AM   #23
Cavs1123

that is a lot of great fish. i still havent broke the 2 pound mark!
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 01:36 PM   #24
BassinID

You could probably find chipotle mayo somewhere, but its way easy to make. I have done a couple of varieties myself and have found one that works really great. It actually dosn't contain any chipotle, which is why its so easy. Just get some cajun seasoning from your local grocery. Mix 1cup mayo with 1/3 to 1/2 cup of milk (depending on consistency of mayo), 2 tbsp of cajun, 1/2 tbsp of lawreys seasoning salt, 1t each of garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper, and 1/3 t of Cayenne(add more to taste).
Old 06-24-09, 06:48 PM   #25
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
You could probably find chipotle mayo somewhere, but its way easy to make. I have done a couple of varieties myself and have found one that works really great. It actually dosn't contain any chipotle, which is why its so easy. Just get some cajun seasoning from your local grocery. Mix 1cup mayo with 1/3 to 1/2 cup of milk (depending on consistency of mayo), 2 tbsp of cajun, 1/2 tbsp of lawreys seasoning salt, 1t each of garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper, and 1/3 t of Cayenne(add more to taste).
I just got really hungry!
Thanks for the recipe! Just finished writing it down
Have you tried Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce?
I use 2 BBQ Sauces anymore and that's one of 'em

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.