Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 07-12-09, 12:18 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default I love Patoka Lake....

After catching my year's goal 5 lb'er last week, I was stoked to get back up to Patoka yesterday. I brought my buddy Mike along. He's a good guy, minister at a church, and he loves fishing almost as much as me. He doesn't get to do it much, so I felt good about showing him my favorite lake.

We hit the water at about 7am. It was really empty...surprising for a Saturday. We ran into Woody early on, who laughed sheepsihly when he showed us what lure he had on. It was our favorite ol' Splat Black crank. (Did I see you trollin' that thing a little Mark? )

I was hopin' to get a few "action shots" of Woody drivin' his rig fast later that day, and figured we'd run into him, but truth be told, he was movin' so fast when he passed us twice that I'm not sure he even saw us. Good work, Woody!

Unfortunately, my trolling motor finally gave up the ghost yesterday, so I am temporarily going on hiatus from my fishing trips until I can get it repaired or get a replacement.

It was fairly windy, and my boat blows around a lot anyway, so we were pretty much screwed as far as stopping and fishing, other than constant anchor tending. So we just decided to check out some new areas of the lake, troll some spots and see if the stripers were on topwater action yet this year.

Boy was that a good decision. The first fish I caught was a nice little 2.5 lb'er.

Mike was fit to be tied now, as he hadn't caught anything yet, and was disappointed as I was about the trolling motor. But he managed a while later to tie into his own bass, an awesome 3.5 lb'er.

When he hooked it, I was driving the boat, as well as tending my two fishing rods, so I didn't get to see it. But I heard that thing jump. I stopped that boat cold, and reeled my lines in fast, let me tell ya! Mike was spazzing out big time, practically lifting the fish out of the water, giving it a good chance to escape, but I calmed him down as best I could long enough to net the big girl. I was so happy for the guy. He was beaming, man. If we had not caught another fish, that would have been enough for me. But we did.

That little Rapala you can see hanging out the mouth of Mike's bass was knocking the tar out of the "food fish". We caught some crappie and hybrid stripers (and even some bluegill) out in open water, even comin up on and hooking up on a double of stripers busting on topwater. Man, that was exciting! [edit] ooops, that's blood, not a Rapala...he had one a little red Rapala crank [edit]

We decided to see if the stripers were maybe hitting topwater down the lake at the dam now that the day was warmer (they hadn't been earlier in the morning), so we tried to make a run. I discovered that since we had added the 30 gallons of water to fill up the livewell, I could no longer get the boat up on plane. I could only go about 10-15 miles per hour like that, and without the electric trolling motor as a safe backup, I decided not to risk a 5-6 hour paddle back to the ramp in the event of an outboard failure. Cell phone coverage is really spotty at Patoka too.

That actually turned out to be a good thing too, because idling back towards the ramp, I hooked into this:

My second 5 lb'er in 8 days. Man, when it rains it pours! When it jumped, my heart must have been beating 200 times a minute. I saw that line racing for the surface, and I was like, "oooooohhhhhhh, noooooooooo!!" Wish I had a hat cam like Rando!

Anyways, Mike wanted to get a picture with it too ( a much better picture, since I was taking it and the size looks more accurate against a somehwat normal sized human being).

He probably told his wife HE caught it, lol. (I would have )

Man...it felt really good to see her finally make that splash and head south back into her hiding spot. I thought she was gonna die from all of our picture taking and celebrating. She flopped around in my floorboard a bit too, after removing most of my thumb fingerprints.

I also caught a different fih I haven't seen before in Patoka. I think it was a freshwater drum, but I'm not sure. Sorry, no pics (I forgot) but I'll look for it to be sure. It was about 2.5 lbs, and fought much harder than any largemouth bass its size.

Anyways, it was a great day fishing despite the finanical setbacks I will undoubtedly incur in the next week or two. If you ever get a chance to come to Patoka, I highly recommend it.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 07-12-09 at 12:51 PM.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 12:44 PM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Sounds like an awesome trip NFE. Sorry about the trolling motor trouble. Your an engineer though, so I know you will have it back in service before long.
Old 07-12-09, 01:01 PM   #3
JB

WTG bryce! nice day on the lake, beats brookville huh

Woody going warp speed again? that leadfoot! lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 02:10 PM   #4
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Glad ya guys had fun man , and nice fish .

Jim
Old 07-12-09, 04:07 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Sounds like an awesome trip NFE. Sorry about the trolling motor trouble. Your an engineer though, so I know you will have it back in service before long.

Well, he did have it apart a week or two ago
Way to go nofear! Looks like one great day on the water! 2 5ers in 8 days? Very nice!
Old 07-12-09, 04:13 PM   #6
bamabassman

man bryce..........you guys are killing me with all this fish catching crap, roflmao. ya know man..........those are some great pics. i am going to get out there pretty soon i hope. just have to get a few things straightened out on this new house first. thanks so much for the pics and the story. hope you get that new trolling motor pal. thanks again for the pics.

and tell woody to slow his arse down, hahahahahahahahaha.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.