Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-30-12, 11:49 AM   #1
BassFishingInMi
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Has this ever happend to any one?

Yesterday night I fished two different ponds. I had a good size bass on (3 1/2lbs) and two other bass about the same size followed it all the way up to the shore. Almost like they were trying to help or protect there fellow bass? It sounds really odd, but it didn't only happen to my once but twice? Anyone else ever experience something like this?
Old 06-30-12, 11:57 AM   #2
RustyFender
BassFishin.Com Member

I've often seen Smallmouth do this, Largemouth not so much. Except sometimes schooling LMB will attempt to steal your plug right out of the mouth of the fish you're reeling in. If you're fishing a hooky crank and are lucky you can sometimes hook them both.
RustyFender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 02:27 PM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quite often actually. Never had a double but seen it a lot. Even had a partner catch one of the following fish.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 03:20 PM   #4
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

This happened to me once when I was fishing with two 3lbers never knew why
Old 06-30-12, 03:54 PM   #5
lilmule

Like three dogs one bone,the one that has it has all the attention,and ive had one come unglued and a follower take it.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 12:42 AM   #6
WatterBoy

Happens all the time on the lake I fish most often, including several times today, but it is almost always Smallies doing the "chasing". While my wife was hauling in a 4lb Smallie last year, my sister picked off one of the nice-sized "chasers", which was cool to witness. I just did double net duty.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-12, 12:31 PM   #7
islandbass

I have seen this but I did not interpret it as protection but they seemed to want what the hooked bass had. They would seem to "protect" their fellow bass zipping in front but closer observation with my eyes looked more like they were trying to get the lure for themselves. This not fact, just observation.
Old 07-02-12, 01:26 PM   #8
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I have seen this but I did not interpret it as protection but they seemed to want what the hooked bass had. They would seem to "protect" their fellow bass zipping in front but closer observation with my eyes looked more like they were trying to get the lure for themselves. This not fact, just observation.
I agree. I think they are just trying to get in on the action, not trying to protect their fellow bass, but that's just my opinion.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 12:31 AM   #9
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've had it happen many times before. I seen them swiping at and biting the lure the hook bass has got in its mouth. Chances are is they were in a small school and the other ones want what ever it's trying to eat. Have a partner throw another lure in next to em and they'll nail it 9 out of 10 times.
Old 07-09-12, 04:19 PM   #10
joedog

Happens alot to me in a pond with just LMs no SMs. I always reel in the fish here slowly in the attempt to get followers. Now when original bass is still in water being retrieved frequently if not alone my companions can toss a jig in the group and usually get a taker. But once the fish leaves the water they scatter, often ending the bite completely...at least for a period of time. I am able to fish three lines/baits in my state so I use a jig as a weight and worm on drop hook and more than once got a second to take the none 'mouthed' lure or bait at shore or boat side. Again there usually is a short lull after the catch. Why this happens I'm not sure. Maybe it's the 'human instincts' in the fish, why work for something when you can let someone else do all the work but you get the rewards of the effort. Or I want what you got but I'm not willing to put in the effort you did but will gladly take your reward.
Another thing I noticed is these fish are usually not monsters but in the 14 -16 inch range, almost always the same size but also one or two monsters in the crowd. The monsters rarely hit the follow up jig toss though. I just think the smaller ones are more aggressive than the older monsters and I think the biggies have a tendency to follow the younguns and chomp down on the missed or injuried prey the younguns miss or loose.
Old 07-09-12, 04:58 PM   #11
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have had a smaller bass hit the lure while I was reeling in a bigger fish and succeed in releasing the bigger fish only to land the smaller. When bass are really aggressive they seem to fight over the lure.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 08:02 PM   #12
bamabassman

nope...i have NEVER had a problem with a bigger bass wanting ANY bait i cast. seems like the ONLY bass i can get to TRY my baits are all DINKS!! hahahahaha!!! but i HAVE had 2-3 DINKS go after it at the same time. but ain't got more than 1 to actually hit it. BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Old 07-15-12, 07:41 PM   #13
kennethdaysale

Hey bama I thought you might like this pic. Do two dinks on one s.rap equal one keeper?
Old 07-17-12, 10:17 PM   #14
Rebbasser

That means they are interested. I once saw Nitro911 catch 2 on a spook, one on the front hook, one on the rear. Got a picture to prove it
Old 07-27-12, 10:23 AM   #15
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default In other words....

When that happens, THE BITE IS ON!!! Good time to try fast moving baits that can attract attention from a large area.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 11:54 AM   #16
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I caught a #7 one time and there was a decent fish trying to take the spinnerbait from her almost all the way to the boat. I snapped a pic and chunked back in and caught one that was just shy of #5.
Old 07-30-12, 03:23 PM   #17
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
I agree. I think they are just trying to get in on the action, not trying to protect their fellow bass, but that's just my opinion.
That would be my guess as well. I once watched Nitro911 hook 2 fish on one cast using a Spook. They were trying to take it away from each other. Got a picture to prove it, too!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.