Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-07, 08:41 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Talking Need help choosing

I am going to buy a new depth finder soon. I am leaning towards one of the Hummingbird 500 series models. Havn't bought a depth finder since 1982! So they are all new to me really. Here is my problem. I have a 12 foot john boat. I simply haul it around in the bed of my pickup. Don't use a trailer. It's a wider john boat, often refered to as a lake john. But it's very easy to haul this way and no trailor hassle. Now I am trying to decide if I should buy a permanent mount version or if I should go with a portable mount style? I don't want the transducer to get damaged dragging the boat out of the lake onto the loading ramp or shoreline. And the suction cup mount of the portable unit would make it easy to remove that problem. However, I have also been told the transducer mount on the permanent model allows the transducer head to swing up and away from hazards like I was talking about. Also, I was told I wouldn't have to have the transducer mounted flush with the bottom. Rather I could mount the transducer so that it would be about an inch higher than a flush mount and I would still get enough clearance for the signal beam to work clearly. I am also thinking about the bulky size of the portable housing, and the transducer cable hanging outside of the housing. Another worry I have is how long the suction cup mount will hold securly. Many years ago, I had a portable mount unit and the suction cup was always comming free of the boat. Drove me nuts!!! At least with the permanent mount model, that would not be a worry, and thye head is easily removed from the mounting bracket to allow me to bring it inside for security reasons. The john boat is kept outside, upside down along the garage between outtings. So I'm curious here, which would you go with? OHHHHH, another question. Is it worth the extra cost in your opinion to have the dual 20 degree and 60 degree beam transducer like on the 565 model or would just the standard 20 degree beam like on the 535 model be sufficient? At what times would I want the use of the 60 degree beam? I am assuming that would be helpfull in shallow water, but I don't really know. Thanks for takin the time to read all this, and any advice you would have!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 09:08 PM   #2
lizardsrule

Do yourself a favor. I love my Hummingbird Matrix, but for your boat, and if I ever have to replace mine. I would go with a inexspensive decent finder the Eagle 320. Priced right, has decent features, and allows you to see the bottom contours and changes, which is what it really is all about. Just my opinion, but for john boats, like mine(it's just more glorified than most) it's plenty. When I get a glass ride, and can handle the bigger waters, then the wider transducer will be more important, and the GPS is really gonna be a neccesity. But if you take your boat anywhere you need a GPS, then your asking for trouble IMO.

Lizards
Old 02-20-07, 10:18 PM   #3
zooker

eagle 320 got more features than any $600 unit... i have had 1" of ice on mine and it still worked-though i had to turn the light on high to melt a hole in it..

zooker
Old 02-20-07, 11:35 PM   #4
keithdog

The Eagle 320 is one unit I am also looking at. However, it is the same price as the Hummingbird 535 and has the same resolution as the Hummingbird 535 at 320 X 320. However, the Hummingbird 535 has a higher rated watts peak to peak with the Eagle rated at 1500, and the Hummingbird rated at 2000. Any reason you would take the Eagle over the Hummingbird since they are priced exactly the same? Also, would you prefer a permanent mounted model or portable for my boat?
Old 02-21-07, 09:22 AM   #5
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you select a unit without a GPS feature, not to worry.
Every time Rebbasser catches a bass, he use a Magic Marker(TM) to put an "X" on the side of the boat to mark the spot.
Really!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 04:03 PM   #6
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
The Eagle 320 is one unit I am also looking at. However, it is the same price as the Hummingbird 535 and has the same resolution as the Hummingbird 535 at 320 X 320. However, the Hummingbird 535 has a higher rated watts peak to peak with the Eagle rated at 1500, and the Hummingbird rated at 2000. Any reason you would take the Eagle over the Hummingbird since they are priced exactly the same? Also, would you prefer a permanent mounted model or portable for my boat?

I own a Humminbird, so no reason if they have the same features and are the same price. Most permantly mounted finders are equiped with a quick release to remove the unit itself, just leave the bracket. I never leave mine on the boat, but mine also goes to storage. In my own garage I would just leave it on. In your case with all the moving around you will give it, I would remove it and put it on once in the water or at least at the dock.

Lizards
Old 02-21-07, 05:00 PM   #7
bassnman30

The 535 is without a GPS.
The higher the watts the better.
Old 02-22-07, 12:39 AM   #8
keithdog

The 535 Hummingbird sounds like the right choice for me. I really don't have a use for the GPS systems some units offer. The lakes I fish are fairly small at just a few hundred acres. I wonder if I can get a case with the proper transducer and transducer suction cup mount to use the 535 as a portable unit if the need ever arrises? Thanks for the input fellas. Now...what to do with all that extra transducer cable I won't be needing, LOL.
Old 02-24-07, 06:58 PM   #9
Bender

I have an Eagle 320C and like it a lot. I "think" that the higher power is required for deeper water, very deep water. Actually I see that BPS (now close to you in Portage, IN) has the Eagle 480 on sale March 3-11 for $159.88. This is in their latest flyer, maybe only for the Detroit store but I doubt it. That is a really good deal. In my opinion a bigger screen is always better.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 08:34 PM   #10
keithdog

Hi Bender, I was there last night and nope, the 480 wasn't on sale. The Eagle 320 was being sold at 159.00. I should go there again and ask them about the 480 though. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky. I did find out last night that the Hummingbird 500 series finders no longer comes with a transducer mount that swings up when not in use but rather a fixed transducer mount. What a bummer!!! I wanted one that allowed the trandsucer to swing up out of harms way.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.