Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-09, 08:46 PM   #1
ub2m4
BassFishin.Com Member

Default loomis crankbait rods

Thinking about trading some rods in for G.Loomis crankbait rod, 6'6" 1/4-5/8 oz. mod-fast action and medium power. model # cbr 783 . I am limited for space and need the 6'6" length. Any thoughts on this rod or better rods for this application. Thanks for your input.
ub2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 08:55 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

When I was looking for a crankbait rod, I looked at everything from the BPS crankin' stick, the david fritts rod, Phenix x10, G.loomis, and a couple different brand rod blanks, including the Loomis.

I ended up with a Rainshadow 7' M, moderate action. I think it has much better action for cranking than the loomis blank did. and I made it black and yellow to match the skeet reese reel.

I prefer a graphite or composite crankbait rod over a glass one. I think the Phenix x10 would've been my second choice. I wouldn't waste money on a loomis rod for crankbaits.

BB
Old 07-06-09, 08:43 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

As did BB144, I tried the BPS Crankin Sticks, good rod for very little money, but they are heavy, using one all day is a killer. I tried the CBR783, and it is a nice rod for shallow runners and especially traps, but I had a preference for a composite, moderate action blank rather than a graphite rod like the Loomis. I ended up with a Kistler Graphite Plus composite blank (they also had a graphite version). Kistler's Magnesium line also has a composite blank designed for crankbaits The Kistlers do very well with cranks down to about 12'.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 09:09 PM   #4
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've got a G Loomis CBR 843 7' Crankbait rod that I've had for, oh, I don't know, maybe 12 or more years. In fact, I broke the tip off my first one (my fault, not the rods) and they sent me another one no questions asked.

I really like the rod. I use it for all my crankin'. I use it as a top water rod too on occassion. The rod is very light and very forgiving but has enough backbone to turn a big ones head. Not a noodle. I recommend the rod. I'm happy with mine. I'm not a big crankbait fisherman though and I'm not familiar with what all is available but I'm happy with my Loomis and recommend it to you.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 07:20 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I wouldn't waste money on a loomis rod for crankbaits.

BB

i agree
a graphite rod is ok for shallow stuff.a compsite is ok for medium divers. but if you dig deep go glass. the hell with whining about how heavy they are trust me they are the best at this..

me i use composites for shallow and medium and glass-fritts- rods for my deep guning..on average i have 5 cranking rods in the boat all the time.

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.