Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-09, 01:38 PM   #1
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Hooking problems with Beavers.

Seems like my hook up ratios lately using Sweet Beavers is not as good as I'd like. Actually, I'm using a SB knockoff called a Slurpie (4 1/2") which is almost identical. I'm using a 4/0 Gamakatsu EWG hook, a 7 1/2 ft Heavy action Falcon flipping stick and either 20 lb Big Game or 20 lb Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon line and a 3/16 oz bullet wt. I'm getting lots of bites but I'm either not getting the fish stuck on the hook set or sticking the fish and it gets off more times than I think is acceptable. This may be just coincidental but I'm beginning to worry. I've got the fish patterned on a SB for our next Tourney and I'd like to remedy this problem before it starts.

What hooks are you using on Sweet Beavers or similar knockoffs? Any tips or advice or thoughts on the matter? Anyone else having this problem?
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 02:23 PM   #2
tom351
BassFishin.Com Member

you could try putting a split on the backside of the bait that allows the hook to come through easier....like they use on many swimbaits....
tom351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 03:49 PM   #3
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Seems like my hook up ratios lately using Sweet Beavers is not as good as I'd like. Actually, I'm using a SB knockoff called a Slurpie (4 1/2") which is almost identical. I'm using a 4/0 Gamakatsu EWG hook, a 7 1/2 ft Heavy action Falcon flipping stick and either 20 lb Big Game or 20 lb Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon line and a 3/16 oz bullet wt. I'm getting lots of bites but I'm either not getting the fish stuck on the hook set or sticking the fish and it gets off more times than I think is acceptable. This may be just coincidental but I'm beginning to worry. I've got the fish patterned on a SB for our next Tourney and I'd like to remedy this problem before it starts.

What hooks are you using on Sweet Beavers or similar knockoffs? Any tips or advice or thoughts on the matter? Anyone else having this problem?
I think knockoff is the key word. Your hook sounds right. If your pattern is on Sweet Beavers why mess with a good thing. I use them all the time in the delta and never have a hooksetting problem because of the bait. Me not paying attention sometimes but not the bait
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 05:48 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sounds to me like your doing everything right. I use the same setup basically and don't have any problems. I'd try Toms suggestion about making a cut in the back for the hook to rest in and see if that helps.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 08:46 PM   #5
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I think tom may have nailed this one. Make a cut half way through the bait about 1/2" long on the shank side and then give it a go.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 11:26 PM   #6
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've been using the Owner Longshank 2/0 hooks and haven't had a problem with the RI Beaver. Actually they tear very easily and I use Mend-It so I don't run out. You might have bluegill or small bass grabbing the tail and running with them.
Old 07-03-09, 10:56 PM   #7
cassidyta

when my beavers aren't hooking right, I give them a firm pimp slap.......

my bad, you were talking about something else....

Seriously though, I found that my hook up rate on the sweet beavers was much better on a shakey head than a bullet weight...might just be a confidence thing, but I lost enough that I only use them as trailers or on the shakey head.
Old 07-04-09, 06:23 AM   #8
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post

my bad, you were talking about something else....

Seriously though, I found that my hook up rate on the sweet beavers was much better on a shakey head than a bullet weight...might just be a confidence thing, but I lost enough that I only use them as trailers or on the shakey head.
Thanks to all for your help. So, which shakey head do you use? What size?
Old 07-04-09, 07:43 AM   #9
bassboogieman

4/o Gammie EWG regular hook, not the x-strong. The thinner hook slides easier through the thick plastic. Run hook completely thru the bait, work it back & forth a bit so the hook moves thru the bait easily, then barely skin hook the point. Rigged this way it won't snag grass, can be skipped under docks, etc. My hook ups are fine when done this way. I throw them weightless a lot, but if I need some weight I use a 1/8 pegged bullet weight, or if skipping baits a nail weight inserted in the plastic and a drop of glue to keep the bait up on the hook.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 10:17 AM   #10
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post

Lol man , I have been using straight shank hooks for beavers and the likes for a while and it works out pretty well have yet to try them on a shakey head but will give that a shot shot soon enough

jim
Old 07-04-09, 10:19 AM   #11
swimbaitkid

When you hook it up bend the beaver so that the hook lays in the slot exposed and then just skin hook it, I use beavers all the time(just won a tournament with them) and I use 15lb Trilene 100% Flouro,just dont be scared to set the hook and get him going.It happend 2 times to me when I was flipping I set the hook so hard the fish comes flying out and goes to the other side of the boat
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 01:25 PM   #12
cassidyta

I have been throwing mostly the owner shakey heads, 1/8th oz. No particular reason for going with the owner. They were th first shakey head I tried and had no reason to change.
Old 07-04-09, 03:47 PM   #13
nofearengineer

I don't know about you guys, but I was solidly hooked the very first one.
Old 07-05-09, 01:34 AM   #14
carolina-rig-01

first off it has nothing to do with it being a knock off, slurpie makes a good product and that has nothing to do with your hook up problems. i think it is that you are probably getting bit by small fish, or at least fish that aren't eating the bait like you would like. i would make a small change in color and see if that helps. remember that you are close enough to the right color that you are getting bit but make a small adjustment in color and see if they eat it better. the hook size sounds about right so the color is about all i would change. if you continue to have this problem i would go to a tube or brushhog and see if the caliber of bites changes.
Old 07-05-09, 10:11 AM   #15
swimbaitkid

Green Pumpkin and Black and Blue are the only colors you need
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 10:30 AM   #16
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

c-rig, I agree, a small color change could be the ticket. OR you may even want to try the same thing, just in a smaller size, like a 3" instead of a 4". I don't use them very often, but when I do, it's almost always YUM or PowerBait's version. I can't find the real Sweet Beavers around here.

BB
Old 07-05-09, 10:32 AM   #17
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
almost always YUM or PowerBait's version. I can't find the real Sweet Beavers around here.

BB
Same thing here man almost always use the yum woolyhawg tail .

Jim
Old 07-07-09, 09:15 AM   #18
Jigger

Good advice all around. Thanks for taking time to respond.
Old 07-07-09, 07:27 PM   #19
zooker

[QUOTE=cassidyta;255841]when my beavers aren't hooking right, I give them a firm pimp slap.......

QUOTE]

leave it up to the left coaster..

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
first off it has nothing to do with it being a knock off, slurpie makes a good product and that has nothing to do with your hook up problems. i think it is that you are probably getting bit by small fish, or at least fish that aren't eating the bait like you would like. i would make a small change in color and see if that helps. remember that you are close enough to the right color that you are getting bit but make a small adjustment in color and see if they eat it better. the hook size sounds about right so the color is about all i would change. if you continue to have this problem i would go to a tube or brushhog and see if the caliber of bites changes.
he is right i texaspose all of my beavers using a 3-4/0 ewg gammy.. hookup rate has been good to decent..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.