Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-11, 02:30 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Flipping baitcaster?

i can flip pretty good with the spinning so why would i need a bait caster for flipping can someone just help me see why i am not going to start an argument i just want to see some other peoples reason why
Old 08-27-11, 02:47 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Much more control, more accurate, More power, and it's quicker (especial when pitching). Bait casters can also hold allot heavier line, making them the clear choice when you wanna use flourocarbon as your main line. They're lighter on average so you can do more flipping, longer.... lots of spinning reels exceed the 9oz mark, not all that many baitcasters do.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 08-27-11, 04:02 PM   #3
Scott the fishman

ohh okay well i have an abu garcia silver max and a skeet reese rod with 50 lb pro braid and 17 lb fluro as the leader you think thats good for flipping heavy cover?
Old 08-27-11, 07:39 PM   #4
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

When you say flipping, are you talking about the close range flip where the bail is closed and you are holding extra line in one hand that you then feed in to let the bait drop? If so, then there is very little advantage of one reel type over another other than feel. Any good spinning reel can have the same drag power of a casting reel. Spinning reels are balanced under the rod so weight has very little to do with it. There is no need to transfer the rod from right to left so thats an advantage for a quick hook set. It comes down to what you are comfortable with. I actually think that the right spin rig could make an excelent choice for true flipping. Now, lots of people refer to the technique of pitching and will call it flipping. Pitching is where you swing the bait in an underhanded arc and then let the bait pull line off the reel as it flys low to the target. In the case of pitching, the reel is not engaged or with a spin rig, the bail would be open. In the case of pitching, it is dificult to have pin point acuracy because you don't have a good way of slowing the bait down. I know some do it and lift the rod to slow the bait or some even feather the loops with the oposite hand as the loops come off the spool. It can be done, but for pitching, the casting reel has several advantages. With casting gear, you can thumb the spool to control speed and get a consistent acuracy with a soft landing. With casting gear that has an insta gage lever or a flipping switch, you can pitch with it and still have a way to instantly engage the reel. I don't use those type of reels but with any casting reel, you can simply press hard on the spool and set the hook on a surface bite wher you didn't have time to crank the reel. With a spin reel, you would need to get the bail completly closed before setting the hook and thats not easy to do really fast. some that use them actually flip the bail over right at the end of the cast, again, that makes acuracy difficult and can jerk the bait to a stop. I absolutly prefer casting gear for pitching. I do pitch some very light baits with spin rigs, but I'm not anywhere close to as acurate or able to present a soft landing with the spin rig as I can with the casting. Hope that helps, but it's still personal choice.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-11, 01:22 PM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott the fishman View Post
ohh okay well i have an abu garcia silver max and a skeet reese rod with 50 lb pro braid and 17 lb fluro as the leader you think thats good for flipping heavy cover?
If youre not fishing super clear water, forget the leader. In thick cover, I don't think it maters. If you're concerned about viability, take a sharpie and mark the line ever 8 - 12 inches for first few feet of the line. Breaks it up and camouflages it.

The reel will work, and is probably a good choice in that price range because of the flipping switch. If you're budget allows, I'd definitely get a better reel with at least an Al. frame. If it's not left handed, I'd get a lefty, that way you don't have to switch the rod from hand-to-hand.
Old 08-29-11, 10:20 PM   #6
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
If youre not fishing super clear water, forget the leader. In thick cover, I don't think it maters. If you're concerned about viability, take a sharpie and mark the line ever 8 - 12 inches for first few feet of the line. Breaks it up and camouflages it.

The reel will work, and is probably a good choice in that price range because of the flipping switch. If you're budget allows, I'd definitely get a better reel with at least an Al. frame. If it's not left handed, I'd get a lefty, that way you don't have to switch the rod from hand-to-hand.
Thank you so much i am going to lake again tomorrow and i will try that. the real is lefty and this was my first bait caster i got so i didnt know to much about buying it but i am happy with the real. also i am in a fishing club and this older boat captain told me to put my index finger under the line right before it goes in the real. i am kind of palming the real have you ever heard of that? i really like the technique because i feel more hits. but have you ever heard of this way? thanks again
Old 08-29-11, 11:01 PM   #7
oglejust

Quote:
Thank you so much i am going to lake again tomorrow and i will try that. the real is lefty and this was my first bait caster i got so i didnt know to much about buying it but i am happy with the real. also i am in a fishing club and this older boat captain told me to put my index finger under the line right before it goes in the real. i am kind of palming the real have you ever heard of that? i really like the technique because i feel more hits. but have you ever heard of this way? thanks again
my dad keeps his finger under the line.. i cant do it, it bugs me lol
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 11:17 PM   #8
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

When I'm fishing mucky water I run the line between my thumb and index finger to keep crap out of my reel.
Old 08-30-11, 01:02 AM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Yup! It's always a good idea when fishing bottom baits. However it depends on the rod, and size of your hands on how easy/comfortable it'll be! If it ain't comfy, don't do it. You'll end up feeling less bite because you won't be concentrating, and you won't be "in your game" if ya know what I mean.
Old 09-07-11, 07:15 PM   #10
Flippin TN
BassFishin.Com Member

I flip and pitch with a spinning rod but usually if I'm using a lighter bait. When I really need to penetrate cover and pile on the weight like a heavy skirted jig with some kind of creature hooked on I use a bait caster. I also use a Shimano with the flipping switch but whether I find it "the trick" to flippin remains to be seen. After using it and getting a feel for the "device" I have learned to appreciate it but only when I have it in hand for a while. it takes some getting used to and when I realized that it does assist in line control I use it regularly. If I'm throwing light stuff my spinning gear works just fine but usually I have a caster in hand to flip or pitch with or without the flippin switch.
Flippin TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 07:39 PM   #11
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippin TN View Post
I flip and pitch with a spinning rod but usually if I'm using a lighter bait. When I really need to penetrate cover and pile on the weight like a heavy skirted jig with some kind of creature hooked on I use a bait caster. I also use a Shimano with the flipping switch but whether I find it "the trick" to flippin remains to be seen. After using it and getting a feel for the "device" I have learned to appreciate it but only when I have it in hand for a while. it takes some getting used to and when I realized that it does assist in line control I use it regularly. If I'm throwing light stuff my spinning gear works just fine but usually I have a caster in hand to flip or pitch with or without the flippin switch.

I have never tried to flip or pitch using a reel with the switch, do you find it difficult to both hold down the Clutch bar and controling the spool speed with your thumb at the same time?
Old 09-07-11, 10:36 PM   #12
joedog

I also have a castatic (Shimano), on 7ft. med. action Legend rod. The clutch bar is u-shaped with small nobs at the top of the u. So you can really work it just like a normal baitcast or when your thumbing the reel you just slide your thumb forward and it engages the reel. They are really nice for pitching but as said before, true flipping , there isn't alot of advantage. I also have a lefty so there is no switching of the hands to engage the reel.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 10:47 PM   #13
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
I also have a castatic (Shimano), on 7ft. med. action Legend rod. The clutch bar is u-shaped with small nobs at the top of the u. So you can really work it just like a normal baitcast or when your thumbing the reel you just slide your thumb forward and it engages the reel. They are really nice for pitching but as said before, true flipping , there isn't alot of advantage. I also have a lefty so there is no switching of the hands to engage the reel.

Do you hold the reel in the same position in your hand while casting as you do while reeling? I tend to hold the reel with my hand lower on the handle and thumb on the clutch while casting, then move the reel to the palm of my had while reeling. To accomplish this I have to bring my other hand to the reel to adjust postions, so it does not save much if any time.

Do you do this differently?
Old 09-07-11, 11:51 PM   #14
joedog

I never really thought about it, but now I have! I am a 2 handed caster , meaning my left hand is on the but of the rod when casting, and right hand works the clutch, thumbs the spool etc., and as I mentioned before my reel handles are usually on left side of reel, so ya I really don't need to move my right hand. If your a frequent pitcher and flipper it may be worth your time to investigate further, (next time the monkey bites) but unless you feel you need or want to improve accuracy, it may not be worth your time. Unless I don't understand your description, I think I do, sounds like pitching is kind of a hassel now and you may not enjoy pitching anyway. If you do enjoy it you may want to try one, it will still probally take some adjustments but from all the posts I have read from you I know this won't be a big challenge. Do you hold and handle the rod and reel the same as you described when picthing?
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 09:52 AM   #15
Flippin TN
BassFishin.Com Member

It took using it a bit to realize that palming the reel is when the spool and switch bar are positioned for ease of use. If Im "casting" normally I just use my non-switched reels, and I haven't put my right handed reels in the boat for a long time. I don't switch hands.
If the reel isn't in my palm reaching the switch bar isn't really possible and when I do cast with it I don't palm it till Im crankin, Ill thumb the spool like with any caster and no need to use the switch bar I just re-engage the spool with the crank/handle. The "flipping" switch is a little hard to explain if you get one in hand it makes a little more sense.
Maybe go to BPS and try one out in the store. My guess is you wont initially like it its really something that I had to play with to get the hang of it. When I did would I buy another?????MMMMMMMMM maybe back when I had some disposable income, I'm retired now and those days are far and fewer between (lol)
I'd trade mine for a Chronarch old style lefty any day (the one with the dual crank grey flat knobs).
Old 09-08-11, 02:59 PM   #16
DVT Mike

The thing I don't like about spinning reels for flipping is that with the reel on the bottom, the line tends to wrap around the reel handle if you're not careful. Pitching is a little easier since it's a cast and the bail is open. As far as casting reels go, I don't like flipping switches from either a practical or maitenance standpoint. It's just one more thing to go wrong with little if any advantage on the water. I'm sure others like them, but a flipping switch is not a must.
Old 09-08-11, 03:55 PM   #17
Flippin TN
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
The thing I don't like about spinning reels for flipping is that with the reel on the bottom, the line tends to wrap around the reel handle if you're not careful. Pitching is a little easier since it's a cast and the bail is open. As far as casting reels go, I don't like flipping switches from either a practical or maitenance standpoint. It's just one more thing to go wrong with little if any advantage on the water. I'm sure others like them, but a flipping switch is not a must.
Best said +1

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.