Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-09, 09:49 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default A strike while snagged?

I am just curious if this has happened to anyone else. This afternoon I was tossing a BBZ sahd next to the tullies and managed to snag one. attempting to pull the lure off the tullie, I had a bass hit it twice, once in the water and once just above the water. The instant I had the lure free, he ended up hitting it again. The last time ended up with a good hook set and a bass brought to shore.
I have had many frogs hit the instant they touched down, but hadn't had a lure exploded on above the water's surface before.
Old 05-01-09, 09:52 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

no cass, never had that good luck happen to me pal. heard of it happening to others though. not with a buzzbait, but with lizards, frogs and everything else. man i bet it was nerve racking trying to get it unhung. way to go pal. sounds awesum.
Old 05-01-09, 09:53 PM   #3
cassidyta

No real worry on the unhooking. Since it was a floater I figured the worse thing was another trip in the faulty canoe.
Old 05-01-09, 09:59 PM   #4
bcklash

BassinBandit cast over a treelimb trying to skip under it, the lure was barely in the water and a small bass hit it. He had to bring the lure, bass both over the limb. We had a good laugh about that one.
Old 05-01-09, 10:45 PM   #5
Panthrosan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

One of our local ponds that my buddy and I fish regularly has a water drum in the far right corner and the fish like to congregate near it. My buddy was attempting to cast to the left of the drum but instead went right over the top. He was trying to reel it back over the top when the line went taught. We both thought he was snagged on the metal drum so he proceeded to do what everyone does when snagged. Whipped the rod back and forth over and over frantically. Well he finally thought to walk the shoreline and see if he could work it free. As he got some slack on the line and started reeling it in, lo and behold there was a 1.5 pound bass dazed and confused on the other end lol. Apparently what my friend and I thought was a snag was in fact it hitting the lure while it was dangling on the other side of the steel water drum and my buddy was just repeatedly smacking it headfirst into the side of the drum lol. After a bit of resuscitation it swam off healthy as can be and we proceeded to laugh our asses off for quite some time.
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 12:38 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

while pre-fishing for my last tourney, my partner and i pull up to my favorite channel swing on the whole lake. this channel swing has spawning pockets on either side and is a good flat bank that is about 8 foot deep all the way to the channel which is probably 30 yards off the bank and then it just drops off to about 17 feet. this is one of my most productive crankbait spots on the whole lake. anyways we pull up to it and on my first cast my crankbait hangs up in the rocks. since the sweet spot of this area is only about 30 yards long i told my partner to go ahead and fish it out before we go get my bait. after probably 5 minutes of him fishing and me trying the bow and arrow trick, pulling, jerking, and doing anything else i can think of i decide to go get my crankbait. as soon as the trolling motor gets directly over the bait a fish grabs my crankbait out of the rocks and takes off. i could tell right away it was a good fish, ended up it weighed a little over 5lbs. this would almost make sense if he grabbed a crawdad colored crankbait out of the rocks but this bait was a sexy shad crankbait.

i have also got jigs hung up on tree limbs while fishing standing timber and had fish come up and take them off the limb. i have caught every fish that has done this and none of them were keepers though.
Old 05-02-09, 12:44 AM   #7
WTL

The very first bass I ever caught came with the line draped over some bullrushes, lure hanging down in the water. Dont know how on earth I landed it. Lews speed stick with a daiwa spincast reel and a 8" producto worm. Hell of a combination.
Old 05-02-09, 12:46 AM   #8
B-I-G

Just last week I was fishing at a lake and there was a buoy line that went all the way across one part of the lake, so boats can't cross. I was fishing a frog over the line on some algae buildup... I had a nice bass on and then as I was bringing him in, he got snagged on the buoy line. My fishing line broke and my bass was hanging from the buoy line on my lure which was dug into one of the buoys. He musta been there for about five minutes before finally flopping off and away.
Old 05-02-09, 06:16 AM   #9
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Yep. The other day I snagged a Series 1 crankbait on a log and had one help me unsnag my lure by eating it off the log. Pretty cool stuff. Only problem is I dropped my rod to bow&arrow the bait when the fish hit so I had to hand-line him.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 08:42 AM   #10
bamabassman

i sure wish i had the dang luck you guys have had,lol. this has never happened to me. if i get stuck, jammed or hung up. i have to go get it or lose it without so much as a look from another fish. you guys are lucky. dink or huge, congrats to all of ya'll.
Old 05-02-09, 09:15 PM   #11
3dkicker

I once got hung on some rocks at the ramp at the end of a club tournament. Only had two keepers in the boat. As I was trying to work the worm weight free a nice keeper picked it up and I was able to get a hook set on it. Strange when you are manuevering the boat in to get your bait freed and it starts swimming away. Caught another in the same area and weighed 4 that day.
Old 05-03-09, 12:47 AM   #12
B-I-G

This happened to me today... I cast out a lizard into a bunch of lily pads and it got stuck in between one... then I pulled hard and a fish jumped and took it and I got a pretty nice 14" bass.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.