Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-08, 07:55 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Leaders

Since my Drop-Shot Rod now has braid on it, I am going to pre-tie my DS leaders. I am going to use a barrel swivel to connect the braid to fluorocarbon, then all the other normal gear. Problem is, I don't know how to store them. I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...036&hasJS=true

Do ya'll do this? If so, what do you store them with?

-Lunk-
Old 03-09-08, 12:30 AM   #2
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have a few of those, but the problem is if you leave them on there they get really curled bad...
Old 03-09-08, 01:58 AM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Lunk, I'd switch the braid to your shakey head rod and spool the dropshot rod with mono or fluoro. My shakey head has braid with a fluoro leader and my dropshot is spooled with 8 lb P-Line Floroclear.
Old 03-09-08, 07:24 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

LL i'd have to agree. Even though I'll be using the same rod for both (until I can afford more rods) I'll be using 6-8lb fluoroclear.

BB
Old 03-09-08, 03:13 PM   #5
lunker-lander

That is the same position I am stuck in A-Rock. I'll just have to alternate these two techniques between this rod until I get my Shakey Head Rig this Summer.

Senko, although the line may curl when attached to that holder, the weight of the DS weight will straighten the line out.

-Lunk-
Old 03-09-08, 06:23 PM   #6
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Lunk- Not to stick my big, fat Italian nose into something, but Senko's right about that ol' curl. Same thing happens with C-Rig leaders. If the DS gets too loopy on you it can make the rig act funny. You'll get used to it after a while but it sure can make the line prone to hang ups and such. Good luck with the DS when ya'll dig outta that snow!

-Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 08:14 AM   #7
lunker-lander

Although it doesn't have to do with my D.S. Rod, I want to talk about swivels and leaders, mainly on my Texas Rig and Flippin' Stick.

Since I'm using Power Pro, and very anal about leaders and fish vision, I decided to leader all of my PP rods, (Texas Rig, D.S., and Flippin' Stick). Since I haven't yet recieved leader material for my Flippin' Stick, I just tied up my Texas Rig Rod. I was using 14 lb Syfix Elite, Clear, and tied the PP and mono via the U2U knot.

In a magazine I once read, an unknown author, (I will say this as you will degrade him if I revealed his status), said to use a barrel swivel about 24" above your bait. Here is what I've thought so far:

PROS
1. No need to use a U2U knot; tie PP directly to barrel swivel
2. Decreases chance of knot breaking/weakening

CONS
1. Sinker can only slide up to 24", or until it reaces your swivel
2. Swivel can possibly break
3. May affect action/casting distance of lure or bait.

What do ya'll think about this?

-Lunk-
Old 03-16-08, 12:22 PM   #8
Bob Smith

There are multitudes of opinions on the DS main line (re: RB! LOL). I favor using braid on the main line, but a lot of local buddies in Georgia use 6 to 8 lb Triple Fish (which I think may be a mono, not sure?).
Since I use the flouro leader on mine I would recommend you to NOT use a swivel so that you can reel the leader through the eyes for longer casts, but more importantly if you drop your rod tip at all to impart action to your bait the swivel will act as a weight and drop the line above the hook a lot more quickly.

As far as storing your premade leaders, I do that with my C-rig leaders that do have swivels and the hooks pre-tied, but since the only thing I actually tie onto my DS leader is a hook, I just carry the spool of Flouro with me and tie another leader on if I need to. The DS weights are easy enough to put on the line so that's a no brainer too.

What I use on my C-rig leaders is a piece of stiff foam rubber that I cut "V" cuts and slits in (about 6-8 places on each end). I put my swivel into one of the slits then wrap the line taut and stick the hook in the foam rubber. I will get it out of the boat later today and take a picture for you guys. It's nice and simple and doesn't cause the mono leaders to memorize the tight curl.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.