Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-10, 05:12 PM   #1
kevin white
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Square lipped balsa crankbait that hunt

Hi guy's,

My name is kev, I'm from jersey, channel islands, united kingdom, we don't have freshwater bass out here, we have European sea bass, these grow to a maximum of approx 20lb, but the average size is about 3lb.

Right this is my first post, so go easy on me yes.

What I'd like to know is who makes a good square lipped crankbait that hunts, or how is there a secret to get one to hunt ?

All the best

Thanks

Kev
kevin white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 05:44 PM   #2
Nitro911
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Hey Kevin...welcome.

Define "hunt" for me...what do you want the bait doing?
Old 04-02-10, 07:34 PM   #3
keysd13
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You should check out custom lure makers. I make my own out of cedar and they "hunt", but none for sale. They have a ton of guys online that sell quality baits. cpbaits.com customluresunlimited.com brianscrankbaits.com are some off the top of my head. Just google it. Good Luck
Old 04-02-10, 08:41 PM   #4
AUFred

Look at Balsa B & Poe as well as Bandit although Balsa B is the only Balsa of the three.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 09:42 PM   #5
BassinNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
Look at Balsa B & Poe as well as Bandit although Balsa B is the only Balsa of the three.
I agree. And welcome.
Old 04-02-10, 11:26 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum, Kevin!

I'm with Nitro (good to see you, buddy! We need to hit the water this spring!)-not sure what you mean by hunt. I'm guessing you mean catch bass.

If that is the case, for the bait itself you want a bait that runs straight on the retrieve, meaning when you cast it out if you were to point the rod straight at the lure when you retrieve it the bait comes straight back, not veering off to the right or left.

When fishing crankbaits the key is contact with something-the bottom, flooded trees, etc. When a crankbait makes contact with something like the bottom or some object it deflects off in an erratic fashion looking like prey that is either injured or trying to escape.
Old 04-02-10, 11:44 PM   #7
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
If that is the case, for the bait itself you want a bait that runs straight on the retrieve, meaning when you cast it out if you were to point the rod straight at the lure when you retrieve it the bait comes straight back, not veering off to the right or left.
I'm assuming that's what he meant by "hunt." Balsa cranks are notoriously inconsistent.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-10, 03:33 AM   #8
kevin white
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replies guy's, what I'm after is a lure that on the retrieve, the lure will track back but wander of to the left and then to the right of centre, so in effect a straight track line that is approx a foot wide if that makes sense.

kev
Old 04-03-10, 09:20 AM   #9
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin white View Post
thanks for the replies guy's, what i'm after is a lure that on the retrieve, the lure will track back but wander of to the left and then to the right of centre, so in effect a straight track line that is approx a foot wide if that makes sense.

kev
You need to take into account depth too. You will get more side to side wobble on a fat bait and a shallow runner than a deep runner.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-10, 09:46 AM   #10
CamG

If you can find some old pre Rapala Wiggle Warts (ebay) you'll have a real good chance to get one that hunts.

There are also a bunch of custom balsa crankbait makers out there. Find a guy, buy 10-20 from him, and you'll find that 3-8 that really hunt. I did this a couple years back, and was able to resell the ones that didn't quite have that "hunt" that I was looking for, although they were probably still very fishable.

With the new baits on the market, finding a bait that truely "hunts" is the exception, not the rule. Everything is made to run completely true out of the package. I guess that's not all bad either.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-10, 11:06 AM   #11
Cavs1123

I'd try Rapala DT's.
Old 04-03-10, 01:52 PM   #12
kevin white
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
If you can find some old pre Rapala Wiggle Warts (ebay) you'll have a real good chance to get one that hunts.

There are also a bunch of custom balsa crankbait makers out there. Find a guy, buy 10-20 from him, and you'll find that 3-8 that really hunt. I did this a couple years back, and was able to resell the ones that didn't quite have that "hunt" that I was looking for, although they were probably still very fishable.

With the new baits on the market, finding a bait that truely "hunts" is the exception, not the rule. Everything is made to run completely true out of the package. I guess that's not all bad either.
Thanks for that, in fact thanks to everyone who's given there input,being as I've never fished a crankbait that hunt's, are they as good as I've heard, or as it been hyped up over the years.

Thanks

kev
Old 04-03-10, 02:12 PM   #13
zooker

Defination of a crank that hunts is:A crank that will not run true or straight.

You can make ANY crank hunt all ya have to do is adjust the tie eye. It will run as much as a foot one way or the other,not both..
Most square bill cranks are for shallow running up to about 10 feet of water..I have caught black sea bass but most were deeper than you could hit with any crankbait..

Balsa cranks are getting few and far between. The infamus Rapala Shadrap and Poes super cedar are the only all wood baits. I can think of in currant production..

zooker
Old 04-03-10, 03:19 PM   #14
CamG

I have plenty of Balsa baits that "hunt" both ways. It's not all in the line tie.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-10, 04:38 PM   #15
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
Defination of a crank that hunts is:A crank that will not run true or straight.

zooker
Never had heard that one before. Learn something new every day.

Bending the line tie will make it track off course. Sometimes you have to tune a crankbait-bending the line tie-to get it to run correctly.
Old 04-03-10, 09:37 PM   #16
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Sometimes you have to tune a crankbait-bending the line tie-to get it to run TRUE.
Correcting your wording there reb..

zooker
Old 04-05-10, 06:39 PM   #17
Panthrosan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
hi guy's,

my name is kev, i'm from jersey, channel islands, united kingdom, we don't have freshwater bass out here, we have european sea bass, these grow to a maximum of approx 20lb, but the average size is about 3lb.
Couldn't resist lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 10:39 PM   #18
66KingFisher

Check with the lure builders over at Tackleunderground.com about crankbaits that "hunt".....those guys use that term alot.....I think the handmade cranks are the best at hunting, but truthfully I'm not sure if there is any science behind it or just a side effect of hand building balsa baits.....luck of the draw kinda thing almost....some baits hunt and some don't.....I honestly don't know....there could be something to ballast placement or position of line eye that could also add too or take away from a lures ability to hunt both left and right, but i'm not sure.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 01:52 PM   #19
3dkicker

Quote:
what i'd like to know is who makes a good square lipped crankbait that hunts, or how is there a sercret to get one to hunt ?kev
Square lipped crankbaits include Lucky Craft Fat CB BDS, Lucky Craft RC, and Bagley's B series.
Old 04-06-10, 02:10 PM   #20
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs1123 View Post
id try Rapala DT's.
I won't be buying any more Rapala DT's. The only thing they "hunt" for is their nose when the bill breaks off. Had it happen to me this past weekend. Makes me think there is no way it would survive a fight with a 10 lb bass.
Old 04-06-10, 03:11 PM   #21
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I won't be buying any more Rapala DT's. The only thing they "hunt" for is their nose when the bill breaks off. Had it happen to me this past weekend. Makes me think there is no way it would survive a fight with a 10 lb bass.
I agree, I won't be buying any more DT's either. I've had 3 DT Fats, a DT Flat, a DT4, 2 DT 6s, and a DT10 break on me. Seems the only one of mine that I've used that hasn't broken, is the DT16.

BB
Old 04-07-10, 12:08 AM   #22
Vegasspider

Welcome, I will trade you. Next time your in Vegas I will show you around Lake Mead and the next time I am in your neck of the woods maybe you could show me how to catch one of your sea bass. This might be of some help unless I am not clear on what your looking for. This helps the tracking and gives some what of a lipless does.

Bandit is the best way to go. One they are very affordable and it does not hurt so bad when you lose one. I find a small “BB” right under the bill if I want one to be a little more “nose” down. I would think this might be similar to a “hunt” profile. I actually take a BB and flatten it out in my vice then take a dremel and cut it in half or what ever size I want and then epoxy it in. I have not done it lately but this used to be my river bait with the square or coffin bill. If you don’t already know or if someone else already told you in this post, use mono line for the hunt. This allows the effectiveness of the square bill to pop up over the obstacle and not around it. Up and over is natural not around. Often times it’s the whole package more than just a lure type etc. Make sure to use epoxy and not super glue if you drill into your bait. For waterproof reasons.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 12:21 AM   #23
Vegasspider

Default Really

I wonder if this is just an isolated case. I use Rapala DT's on a regular basis and have never had an issue. I change out the trailing hook. I don’t use them as much now that I am fishing much more due to cost. I try to use Bombers for the lower cost and no issues there either. I cant tell you about the ten pound test since I have never caught one on either of these baits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 12:24 AM   #24
Bender

Bringing back up an old post, I was looking to add to the few C-Flashes that I have and noticed that they have one that is supposed to hunt: http://shop.mikesrxbaits.com/category.sc?categoryId=20
I might try one sometime but if you do please report what you find.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.