Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's on the line
Sm. Mouth 0 0%
Lg. Mouth 1 9.09%
Northern Pike 0 0%
Tiiger Musky 1 9.09%
Big Carp 2 18.18%
Big Cat Fish 1 9.09%
Other 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. This poll is closed

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-12, 09:00 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default My good planning going haywire!

Well to make the story short, all my great plans failed.
Hit 4 bodies of water, 6 dinks.
Now in the end I went back to the rver this evening.
Wanted to make things interesting and seeing I was fishing for smallies I elected to use a lite action St. croix Avid 6'6". 15 lb.braid, 4lb mono equivalent.
I decided to use the most forgotten all time successful lure, ball head jig and a three inch grub.
I'm wading the river and working the shores. work about 3/4 mile up one bank and back down the other. Nada! Not even a strike!
Now this river has LG, SM, Northerns, Tiger Musky, big cats and Carp plus your standard panfish and a bullhead or two. I'm like four casts from calling it quits and I cast the shore a little to hard and hit shore, not much but I drag into the water and I get a solid snag, rock, branch, I'm not sure but no worries cause I'm in the water I'll just walk over and un-snag it like I've done dozens of times before.
The crazy log moves.
Ever so slightly so I'm figuring I got some movement from the tugging at the branch and it was just settling back down to the bottom cause there's no more movement. Take a few steps closer and....OFF THE LOG SWIMS.
Crazy power and the drags just burning up. I can do nothing except loosen the drag and palm the reel. Things going up river and again, with the lite equipment I'm thinking, poles going to snap....and my scale and and camera are in the car.
Yes, I have a huge fish on thats burning drag and showing absolutly no signs of tiring and I'm thinking about pictures and big fish contest and how I'm going to have a HUGE fish story but how am I going to get up the bank in my car and retrieve the camera and scale and keep the fish alive while doing all this.
I can get some line in slowly and then off it goes, burning drag and taking line back. This goes on for like 15 minutes and I'm in the water so my arms up high during this whole retrieve and I'm feeling the strain and still fearing the pole snapping. Now you must realize I'm not standing and reeling I'm walking around trying to keep a good tight line but no breakage.
I get up next to it and you won't believe whats on the end of my line.....

Poll time!
What do you think I find at the end of my line?
I'll give the answer Wed. and if you choose other...what do you think it was?

Last edited by joedog; 08-12-12 at 09:10 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.